Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Poll

Which book should be our first selection?

Albert Camus/the Plague
- 1 (4.3%)
Nick Cave/And the Ass Saw the Angel
- 1 (4.3%)
Leonard Cohen/Beautiful Losers
- 1 (4.3%)
Katherine Dunn/Geek Love
- 3 (13%)
Neil Gaiman/American Gods
- 5 (21.7%)
Chuck Palahniuk/Survivor
- 2 (8.7%)
Thomas Pynchon/Gravity's Rainbow
- 0 (0%)
Tom Robbins/Still Life with Woodpecker
- 0 (0%)
Salman Rushdie/The Satanic Verses
- 2 (8.7%)
J.D. Salinger/Franny and Zooey
- 8 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: July 26, 2005, 05:15:27 pm


Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll  (Read 9169 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« on: July 18, 2005, 05:15:27 pm »

Books on the list that do not win will be carried over to September's list of potential books, so don't be worried if you see more than one book you want to read, just vote for what you wanna' read first!

As the organizer of the book club I will abstain from voting, but will make the deciding vote in case of a tie.  

The book o' the month will be declaired on Monday July 25th 2005 @ noon CST, giving you a week to vote, and a week pick up the book, and readers should seek to be done reading whichever book is selected by Aug. 31st.

Have at it!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 02:07:14 am »

Whoo hoo, my choice is winning.  Take that Geek Love.  Yeah, suck it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 02:37:42 am »

Paul, you get better every day. Every god damned day.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 04:28:07 am »

If by tomorrow my choice isn't winning I'll just go into the database and make it win anyway.

Because I fuck*ng can.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 03:43:52 am »

Welcome to the Jough-will-tell-you-what-the-fuck-you-will-read-and-you-will-fuck*ng-like-it club.

Also - Jough and mods can you see who is voting and for what?  I always wondered that.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 04:54:09 am »

No, the DB does not keep track of who votes for what - only that a certain user voted in a certain poll (so they can't vote again).

Personally, I think you should be able to alter your vote, but I guess that could create problems.  

Whatever.  My choice is winning, so I'm happy.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 07:35:20 am »

I voted for American Gods, as I haven't got round to it yet, but have always meant to.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 12:39:35 pm »

I voted for American Gods because I just got my copy last week. I tried getting my SO to suggest it to her book club and one guy was really into but everybody else decided they'd already read too many male writers.

Life is hard.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 06:34:54 pm »

Was it the sort of book club where the expression "Too Many Male Writers" =1?

Also, have any of you read a book called "Things Fall Apart" or "A Man of the People" by Chinua Achebe or Alan Dean Paton's "Cry the Beloved Country" (which I read 10 years before Oprah, just to be clear) - these are pretty interesting books dealing with the lingering effect of colonialism and politics in Africa (Achebe) and life under Apartheid (Paton).
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 07:07:00 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Was it the sort of book club where the expression "Too Many Male Writers" =1?

Also, have any of you read a book called "Things Fall Apart" or "A Man of the People" by Chinua Achebe or Alan Dean Paton's "Cry the Beloved Country" (which I read 10 years before Oprah, just to be clear) - these are pretty interesting books dealing with the lingering effect of colonialism and politics in Africa (Achebe) and life under Apartheid (Paton).

No, it was just more like 6 men in a row. Although as I've said before my SO is a professional feminist.

I read Things Fall Apart for a history class. I'm pretty sure I still have the essay floating around somewhere.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 07:30:26 pm »

Yeah, I read Things Fall Apart in college, too.  Might have been for Freshman Comp.  I think it's floating around here sompelace.  It was good.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 09:18:45 pm »

I was taking a comparative lit class (I LOVED those)...I'm looking at my posts and it seems like my taste in novels runs to the socio-political. I also enjoyed "The Color Purple" as a book. I don't know much about many of the books in the poll - do any run strongly in socio-political themes, particularly outside of the US?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 09:20:54 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I was taking a comparative lit class (I LOVED those)...I'm looking at my posts and it seems like my taste in novels runs to the socio-political. I also enjoyed "The Color Purple" as a book. I don't know much about many of the books in the poll - do any run strongly in socio-political themes, particularly outside of the US?

I, too, loved The Color Purple. I felt sort of weird about it, since I hated Beloved very much, but Purple was just... better.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 04:20:41 am »

I took a first-year university class while I was still in high school where Things Fall Apart was my central book of study, and infact, since I alphabetized my library, it's the first book on the shelf.  All of you are on mark here - it lends it self well to compairative study.  Achebe wrote one of the best studies of Heart of Darkness that I ever read, in fact.  

I'd be up for reading Things Fall Apart again.  Shall we put it on the September list for possible books?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
August TOUAMB Book o' the Month Poll
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 05:40:53 pm »

I think it would be very interesting to re-read some of the books I had to read for classes as an independent grownup....except Great Expectations. Boo to that.

I would like to see on future lists books written by authors who are not American or European. Maybe every other month, a list of novels from nations where English isn't the primary language spoken? I would enjoy that.  Recently I've noticed more books from Indian and Central/South American writers on the shelves. I would love the excuse to read them...
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up