Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: James "Scotty" Doohan died  (Read 1756 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
James "Scotty" Doohan died
« on: July 20, 2005, 04:48:21 pm »

And the AP story manages to make a mistake in the first sentence.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/20/AR2005072000929.html
Logged

split red

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
James "Scotty" Doohan died
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 05:06:25 pm »

wasn't there a rumor about his death a while back?

i never really liked star trek, but i'm still kinda sad that he died
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
James "Scotty" Doohan died
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 05:25:50 pm »

Scotty was always my favourite of the Trek characters, and I was happy to have met him about ten years ago at a convention, got his autograph, a quick photo with him, etc.  He was very gracious.

I know he's been ill for awhile and I'm glad he got his star on the walk of fame before he died.

I guess he couldna take the strain, captain!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: James "Scotty" Doohan died
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 05:28:18 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
And the AP story manages to make a mistake in the first sentence.


Um, mistake?  I guess he wasn't really "burly" but what else is wrong?

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
James "Scotty" Doohan died
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 05:58:26 pm »

I never really liked Scotty, but then I never really liked any of the Trek characters. I have heard that he was a really nice guy though, and can imagine that being the case.
Remember reading Wheaton talking about when Doohan got too ill to attend conventions, and I can't help but trust Wheaton's judgement of character, as he's turned out to sound like a sound guy.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
James "Scotty" Doohan died
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 06:25:44 pm »

I'm not really a Star Trek fan, but he seemed like such a nice guy.  Have any of you have seen the doccumentary Trekkies? It is really funny and quite enjoyable and it drove home how much he and the other cast members really apreciated the experience of being part of a cultural phenomenon.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
James "Scotty" Doohan died
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 06:32:22 pm »

I love that he has a daughter younger than mine! You go, Scotty. I also like what he says about Shatner. Funny.

85 is a fair run for his generation; Alzheimers is the suck for the family but (probably) not a terrible way to go for the patient. My Grandpa went down that road some years back. It's pretty shredding for the family.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
James "Scotty" Doohan died
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 07:06:58 pm »

It's a shame; he always seemed like one of the more good-humored and well-adjusted members of the original series cast. You have to respect anyone who came out of the Star Trek experience with class.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: James "Scotty" Doohan died
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 07:08:48 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
And the AP story manages to make a mistake in the first sentence.

Um, mistake?  I guess he wasn't really "burly" but what else is wrong?

I was just being really picking about the whole nobody in the shows/movies ever actually said, "beam me up, Scotty" thing. Although I was really tempted to make the thread subject a really tasteless beaming joke.

I liked where he explains how he realized he'd be Scotty forever and life would be better if he just went along with it.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
James "Scotty" Doohan died
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 07:31:33 pm »

RIP Scotty.

I wonder if he was wearing a red shirt when he passed...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up