Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince  (Read 1557 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
« on: July 20, 2005, 07:32:59 pm »

Anybody else reading/read this?

I've read all 6, the first 4 out loud and I feel strongly that this one is the best yet.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 08:10:00 pm »

I don't know if I'd say it was the best. It was certainly one of the better ones, though. How spoiler-tastic is this thread allowed to get?

As far as the big spoiler near the end that the Internet is all abuzz aboot, it was okay but a whole huge chunk of stuff leading up to and based on it felt sort of like somewhat unsightly support beams holding up the next book: these things happened because they are necessary to get Harry where the author wants him to go, rather than because they follow entirely from cause and effect. They felt sort of disconnected to me. All that said, I did quite like the underground lake thing.

Honestly, my favorite part of the book (which, again, is not to say that the book is bad) was watching the online fandom scurry and shriek as new information violated their fanfiction conceits. Fun stuff.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 08:35:47 pm »

I saw a short video where some jerk drove by a line of people who had just purchased the book at midnight and ruined the ending for them by shouting out what happened in the book (although I get the impression it's not like it's a trick or surprise ending - just ruining the plot for those who haven't read it yet and are obviously fans).

I can't imagine what the person who made the video had to gain from that.  I mean, SELLING the ending to the fandom before the book is published, yeah, but just mean-spiritedness at someone else's enjoyment, WTF?

I haven't read ANY of the HP books, but I have all three of the films on DVD and found them to be highly enjoyable, and I will look forward to the next films.

I generally prefer to see a movie BEFORE reading the book if I haven't read the book yet and I know there's a movie out or coming soon, because otherwise I won't enjoy the film on its own, whereas seeing the film first does nothing to hamper my enjoyment of the book.

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 10:05:01 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I saw a short video where some jerk drove by a line of people who had just purchased the book at midnight and ruined the ending for them by shouting out what happened in the book (although I get the impression it's not like it's a trick or surprise ending - just ruining the plot for those who haven't read it yet and are obviously fans).

Man, I saw that. What a little jerk. The fact that he just drove off immediately afterwards is what really gets to me.

Anyhow, yeah, I only bothered to read the first three books, and I figured I'd just wait to see the new film before reading the fourth book, just for a change. I don't know anything about the fourth one, so I can go in with no expections and it'll (hopefully) be a reasonably fresh experience.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 10:30:36 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

I generally prefer to see a movie BEFORE reading the book if I haven't read the book yet and I know there's a movie out or coming soon, because otherwise I won't enjoy the film on its own, whereas seeing the film first does nothing to hamper my enjoyment of the book.


This is because the book is ALWAYS better than the movie.  Doesn't that say something about movies?

**runs away**
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 04:59:43 am »

Actually, I can think of a number of good movies made from mediocre books, or at least instances where the film was better than the book.

The Firm is a strong contender for "best adaptation that improved upon the source".

Adaptation was better than the Orchid Thief.

Gone with the Wind

Fight Club

The Talented Mr. Ripley

Sideways

Watership Down

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 06:06:59 am »

Jough, while I agree with your premise that not all books are better than the movies adapted from them, I must take exception to your characterization of Watership Down as a mediocre book.  I re-read it recently and it impressed the hell out of me.

Other suggestions for movies that are better than the associated books:

The Grifters

Everything that Ian Fleming ever wrote.

The Godfather (and Godfather II)
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 06:55:52 am »

Actually, that was an instance of the movie being better than the book, not an instance where the book was mediocre but the movie was good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up