Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005  (Read 3071 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« on: July 21, 2005, 07:23:44 pm »

Gotta love Lie Bot and Philippe, although this one is hardly up to standards.

Seriously, Chris - S A B B A T I C A L.

Say it with me.  What's next, Lie Bot pushing Philippe off of a table, or shipping him to Abu Dhabi?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 07:28:16 pm »

Now I'm curious why he was digging the hole to begin with. I guess he was just that bored.

Does anybody else have the song Ana Ng stuck in their heads because of this strip?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 07:32:10 pm »

Also, why the stale Justin Wilson reference?

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 07:46:36 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Now I'm curious why he was digging the hole to begin with. I guess he was just that bored.


Did you not dig holes when you were five?  I'm surprised I never severed a buried utility line of some sort for all the holes I dug.
Logged

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 08:17:30 pm »

Yeah, you know, I've been lurking on this board since October, or whenever Onstad started posting here. At first I thought that everyone was unreasonably harsh on the comics. But now that I'm commenting on (nearly) each day's comic, it's easier for me to realize that there just often isn't a lot of praise you can heap on these individual strips. I think they really do read better in the archives, where you can briskly skip over the mediocre strips and eventually land on one that truly makes you laugh.

So, not a lot to say about this strip.
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 08:19:30 pm »

While there may not be a lot to say on the comic itself, aside from what's been said IN the comic, I like it a lot.  At first it's just Lie Bot being a dick, as he is wont to do, but then he turns it around, and I can just imagine Philippe just standing there, furiously debating himself for hours.

After all, he's a former Presidential candidate, he's got to consider the foreign policy angle - this could be HUGE.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

V-Adore

  • Guest
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 08:24:16 pm »

I like Lie Bot/Philippe strips, but this is kind of eh. It's not really an interesting Lie Bot lie.

Maybe I should take a couple days off, see if my perspective gets any better. Ash might have the right idea.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 08:25:37 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Also, why the stale Justin Wilson reference?


Please explain.  Google tells me he is a "Cajun cook and humorist" and/or drives cars real fast.

I enjoyed when the young otter said "Marvelous".
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 08:40:45 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "jough"
Also, why the stale Justin Wilson reference?

Please explain.  Google tells me he is a "Cajun cook and humorist" and/or drives cars real fast.

I enjoyed when the young otter said "Marvelous".

He was referring to Lie Bot saying "I ga-ron-tee" in a New Orleans accent. I didn't recognize the guy's name but as soon as I saw cajun I knew exactly who he meant.

The debate above re: comments on a particular strip perfectly illustrate why we don't lock wandering threads but encourage them.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 08:41:35 pm »

He was a Cajun-themed cook who had a show on PBS, and used to say things like "Dis hawt sauce'll spice thing up I gar-on-tee!"

He had numerous cookbooks and pretty much single-handedly made Tabasco Sauce a regular fixture in many households.  This was back in the 80s when the only condiments on hand for most North Americans were katsup, mustard, mayo, and maybe A1 or Worchestershire sauce for steak.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 08:44:04 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

The debate above re: comments on a particular strip perfectly illustrate why we don't lock wandering threads but encourage them.


Some of us more than others. I still think there is a lot of premature lockination going on around here.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 09:05:12 pm »



I thought Paul Prudhomme is /was the guy who guarantees.

My family has about a million of those cookbooks.

Also, if anyone ever had the "Cooking with Dom DeLuise" CD-ROM that came out in the mid-90's, wow. Just ... wow.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 09:12:17 pm »

I Ga-ron-tee

Click above  to hear it.


Click below to see it.

Justin Wilson

Justin Wilson had 27 albums - he had careers in radio and TV as a humorist before he found himself on PBS.
Logged

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 10:34:03 pm »

Thanks for pointing out that reference. Looks like Lie Bot is exploiting Philippe's love for tv chefs.
Logged
I am older now.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 10:58:00 pm »

Quote from: "antioch"
Thanks for pointing out that reference. Looks like Lie Bot is exploiting Philippe's love for tv chefs.


what a marvelous thread.
i would never, on my own, have come to that conclusion.
ever.


i just leaned back in my chair, and there is a beeeeeg spider on the ceiling.


--
edit-
Quote from: "gimpson"
Phillipe shows an amazing grasp of geopolitics for a stuffed otter who is five and/or retarded.


now it's even a better, better thread.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up