Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: V For Vendetta- WTF?  (Read 7324 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 06:53:48 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
One of the first announcements was that the new guy (I forget his name) is bringing in a female mutant whose power is seduction.

Uhhhhh...nope nope nope nope nope nope. That's just no good t'all.


Just how the hell is that a mutant power? Besides, they already have Mystique....
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 07:10:33 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"

This is what I don't understand. How do these people keep getting WORK?


Let's (not) look at Uwe Boll for a moment. How much has he just got to make Dungeon Seige is it? $60million?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 07:20:38 pm »

The continuing ability of Uwe Boll to be paid for making movies astounds and saddens me. I've heard that the deal with him is that somehow his stuff is profitable just because he works amazingly cheaply -- he drops a little cash on a license, makes a movie super-cheap, and manages to make some kind of a profit regardless of how awful the film is. Sigh.

Quote from: "CortJstr"
One of the first announcements was that the new guy (I forget his name) is bringing in a female mutant whose power is seduction.

Saddest. Thing.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 07:21:41 pm »

I still haven't forgiven, nor will I ever forgive, Paul WS Anderson for Alien vs. Predator.  That should have been a good movie.  Or at least entertaining.  

He's apparently working on Deathrace 3000 for next year.  One of the commenters on its IMDB page has this to say:

Quote from: "catatagiraffe"
I plan on killing myself before this movie gets released.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2005, 07:56:10 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
The continuing ability of Uwe Boll to be paid for making movies astounds and saddens me. I've heard that the deal with him is that somehow his stuff is profitable just because he works amazingly cheaply -- he drops a little cash on a license, makes a movie super-cheap, and manages to make some kind of a profit regardless of how awful the film is. Sigh.


Apparently there's a loophole in German tax law that allows for some sort of deduction / windfall if you make a money-losing movie. It's German money cranking out these pictures.

"When I hear the word culture, I reach for my Browning" - incorrectly attributed to Hermann Göring

Man, Dr. Uwe Boll. I'm fascinated by the guy on so many levels - and I can't not like him, in a way. God, he's grinning and throwing a thumbs-up in, like, every known photograph; he is supremely untalented and a rip-off artist (before: he wanted more MATRIX-STYLE BULLET TIME; after: he wants a LORD OF THE RINGS-STYLE EPIC) and yet, he's got such goddamned enthusiasm for making his terrible Video Game Movies - he seems to realize, he must, somehow, how ridiculous he is and yet, in a sublime move, has decided simply not to fight it. Reading his interviews is a delightful experience: "I always wanted to fuck Jennifer Aniston. Now is the chance - hopefully – maybe."

He's like a palsied kid that traced a picture of his favorite cartoon character and fully expects to be rewarded and praised for his creativity and talent.

Quote from: "Gimpson"
I still haven't forgiven, nor will I ever forgive, Paul WS Anderson for Alien vs. Predator. That should have been a good movie. Or at least entertaining.


I waited from the time I was a freshman in fuckin' high school for that movie to be made; not only did I not care when it finally came out, I was actually actively annoyed to be in the same room while my girlfriend was watching it. "You know what movie I like?" said the director, fondling the screenplay. "STARGATE."
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2005, 08:17:20 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Man, Dr. Uwe Boll. I'm fascinated by the guy on so many levels - and I can't not like him, in a way. God, he's grinning and throwing a thumbs-up in, like, every known photograph; he is supremely untalented and a rip-off artist (before: he wanted more MATRIX-STYLE BULLET TIME; after: he wants a LORD OF THE RINGS-STYLE EPIC) and yet, he's got such goddamned enthusiasm for making his terrible Video Game Movies - he seems to realize, he must, somehow, how ridiculous he is and yet, in a sublime move, has decided simply not to fight it. Reading his interviews is a delightful experience: "I always wanted to fuck Jennifer Aniston. Now is the chance - hopefully – maybe."

He's like a palsied kid that traced a picture of his favorite cartoon character and fully expects to be rewarded and praised for his creativity and talent.

Zartan would you please explain again, or perhaps for the first time, why you aren't being paid for your way with words.  You totally entertain me even when I totally don't agree with you (not in this case).

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2005, 08:22:27 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
I still haven't forgiven, nor will I ever forgive, Paul WS Anderson for Alien vs. Predator.  That should have been a good movie.  Or at least entertaining.


I had read it as being Verhoeven back when it happened, which made sense. But then the only movie he made I have any time for is Event Horizon, so...
I had heard the DVD release of AVP might be better than the theatrical though as he did also get boned by the studio. Any comment?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2005, 08:41:32 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Zartan would you please explain again, or perhaps for the first time, why you aren't being paid for your way with words.  You totally entertain me even when I totally don't agree with you (not in this case).


Aw, shucks, dude. Thanks.

A lack of ambition and a two-year-old case writer's block, I guess.

I do aim to entertain, if nothing else.

Quote from: "slink"
I had read it as being Verhoeven back when it happened, which made sense. But then the only movie he made I have any time for is Event Horizon, so...


BLASPHEMY.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2005, 08:52:54 pm »

Quote
Well, hopefully the success of Sin City will have Hollywood clamouring to make ridiculously faithful comic adaptations.


I hope it doesn't happen. While I'm sure Sin City's panel by panel faithfulness  seems great now, I can see it becoming the ultimate tool for Hollywood laziness.

The studios could grind out tons of these movies in very short amounts of time since the hard parts like writing and storyboarding are essentially done for them. All they'd have to do is hire a big name cast, stick them in front of a blue screen, and get some no name director to make sure the cameras are rolling.

I'll admit it's a cool novelty, but I don't think it should become the standard for comic book films. There are other, more interesting ways to remain faithful to the source material than to copy it exactly. The best comic book films seem to find a balance. Batman Begins, for example, took a lot of cues from Year One, but it did a lot of different things too. It stayed true to the spirit of the character while being a new experience at the same time. That, in my opinion, is the key to any good comic book movie, or any movie adapted from another source for that matter.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2005, 01:21:39 am »

Dammit people, I go away for one day and there's like 9,000 replies. Where is this when I'm bored at work hitting F5 over and over?

Anyway: new director is Brett Ratner

Here's the wikipedia entry on the character he wants in the movie:
Stacy X is a comic book character in the Marvel Comics universe. Stacey is a mutant prostitute who was briefly affiliated with the X-Men. She first appeared in Uncanny X-Men #399 (2001) by Joe Casey and Tom Raney.
Stacy X had the mutant ability to control the pheromones of others, creating a greatly pleasurable experience or greatly sickening one. She first appeared as a member of the Nevada mutant brothel, the X-Ranch. After the hate group the Church of Humanity destroyed the ranch, Stacy joined the X-Men. Forthright and argumentative, Stacy did not take easily to teamwork and left the team shortly after joining. She has presumably returned to her former profession.


Also, not only are they making Spy Hunter* with The Rock but he's also going to be in Doom. Yes, that Doom. But hey, it can't be any worse than the movie coming out starring Kane (If you don't know you don't want to know).

*They'd damned well better use Peter Gunn as the theme or my head may explode.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2005, 05:43:32 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
*They'd damned well better use Peter Gunn as the theme or my head may explode.


They'll get some super-hyped-but-actually-shit band or "artist" to cover Peter Gunn. Somebody like Good Charlotte or Jermaine Dupree. This will accomplish both of your objectives.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2005, 11:31:30 pm »

Hello bitches.

I stopped paying attention when Moore officially disowned the movie. Scroll down a little here.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2005, 11:40:38 pm »

Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Hello bitches.

I stopped paying attention when Moore officially disowned the movie. Scroll down a little here.


Me, I stopped paying attention when I heard the Wachowski brother and sister were attached. Matrix Revolutions is the worst movie I have ever seen and I say that without any hyperbole.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Skillator

  • Guest
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2005, 12:02:51 am »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Matrix Revolutions is the worst movie I have ever seen and I say that without any hyperbole.


Then you should see night Train to Venice
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107683/

But honestly... V for Vendetta as a Hollywood blockbuster? I think someone forgot that the majority of the blockbuster-going public have spam (the canned meat) for brains.
Expect V for Vendetta to have none of the social commentary but all the explosions the graphic novel.

Also, Watchmen as a film is the worst idea ever. Let it be the best, and stay the best at what it is and leave it the fuck alone. Please.

Directors: People adore and admire Alan Moore for a reason. So trust his vision and keep it in tact. Moore wanted V to be a direct representation of his story, it's not, so he said "fuck you". I'm more likely to take his side than the bloody brothers.

And on a final thought. The preview may be pretty but weren't the previews for the Matrices?

'nuff said.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
V For Vendetta- WTF?
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2005, 07:29:44 am »

Quote from: "Skillator"

Also, Watchmen as a film is the worst idea ever. Let it be the best, and stay the best at what it is and leave it the fuck alone. Please.


Has to be said, having just gotten three or four issues into Watchmen, they really oughtn't bother trying. And it's not my favourite comic yet. I read the first TPB of Rising Stars the other night, and that is damned good and could make a great movie, if done right.

V for Vendetta, I think I've lost the brief hope I had for.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up