Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)  (Read 8257 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« on: July 23, 2005, 05:57:51 pm »

Quote from: "Noah"
Quote from: "editor"
Oh my god, Beef thinks that having Coke AND Pepsi is something to celebrate...  that is so, so sad.


i'm pretty sure that the dude to the left of beef is the one amazed at the coke and pepsi


while i have already come to grips with the fact that my childhood was sad,
so sad, i must say that the thought of both Coke and Pepsi as a knee-high-onna-indian i would have been enthused by the prospect.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 06:23:58 pm »

I still am excited by the presence of both because Coke is way crappier yet more popular. Much like VHS back in the day. So I'm all for the presence of Pepsi as well.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 07:08:25 pm »

Coke is WAY better than Pepsi.  Damn, how can anyone think Pepsi, with its too-sweet flat flavour, is better than Coca-Cola?

Also, I like RC Cola a whole lot, but it is impossible to find in Philly.  I don't even know if they still make it.

I was drinking Jolt for a bit, but that was too sweet tasting too.

I tried Coke Zero this week and it's actually not bad.  Diet Coke is vile as all hell, but the new sugar-free Coke actually tastes sorta like Coke.  It's good "enough" for me.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 07:45:52 pm »

My favorite soda is Diet Rite. The default cola flavor is really tasty in and of itself, but Diet Rite Tangerine is the nectar of the gods.

I think RC Cola is a Southern thing - you can find it everywhere down here. I remember very briefly in (I think it was) 1997, RC had a "premium draft" flavor that came in glass bottles that was breathtakingly good - it had a thicker mouthfeel than ordinary sodas, and (bizarrely) my friend and I would have sworn that there was a hint of chocolate to the taste. When they discontinued it, the local Target stores cleared it out dirt cheap, and I sat on a huge horde of the stuff for about a year, only having one on special occasions and just savoring the hell out of it.

Anyway, I really can't drink caffeinated beverages anymore, so that tends to limit my soda spectrum.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 08:01:27 pm »

You are aware, of course, of the distinction between Diet Rite and Diet RC.  The Diet Rite line is sugar, caffeine and sodium free and sweetened with Splenda.  Diet RC has caffeine.  I'm not sure what sweetens it.  

White Grape Diet Rite is awfully good.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 08:08:18 pm »

Diet RC is also made with Splenda. I think that RC and Diet Rite have some sort of family connection; their packaging etc is very similar, and they're usually next to each other in every supermarket that carries their soda.

Diet RC is pretty good, too - actually, I'm pretty positive on the whole "Splenda as sugar substitute" thing; I made a couple of loaves of banana bread w/ Splenda that turned out beautifully.

White Grape Diet Rite is, I guess, for more sophisticated palates than my own. I am a hardcore grape soda fiend from way, way back - but I want my grape soda purple, and flavor-wise it should be like oversweetened, carbonated Dimetapp, or the "grape" flavor of fluoride at the dentist's office. It's odd that Diet Rite put out such a relatively subtle fruit flavored soda, as their Tangerine (read: orange) and Red Raspberry are both so completely in your face with sweetness and taste.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 09:02:31 pm »

Coke feels all thick in comparison to Pepsi. Although to be fair they both suck in fountain form. True pop connoisseurs know that cans are where it's at.

I drank RC for a while but within the span of 6 months I got 3 bottles that were clearly diet mislabeld as regular and have not forgiven the company since. Exposure to aspertame will not be tolerated. Anything with that in it tastes overwhelmingly of Nutra Sweet. Spenda is not much better.

Which reminds me, has anybody else noticed the trend of restaurants putting a slice of lime into diet sodas so they can keep track of which is which for refills? This makes me sad because I like lime in my cola but can't ask for it lest I receive diet when I get a refill. Life is hard.

Zart, you are not alone: http://www.bookofratings.com/sodaflavors.html
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 09:10:48 pm »

Cort, how can you be so misguided?

Anything in a can is the WORST way to drink it.  The beverrages pick up some of the taste of the can, and if you've ever seen the manufacturing process you'd know that all sorts of horrible things happen to that aluminum before they fill the can with liquid.

Bottles, and specifically GLASS bottles, is the only proper way to enjoy soda, and even most beers (although having said that I'll have a Guiness from the tap before I'd ever touch a bottle).

Cans?  Eww.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 09:28:34 pm »

I know indivual sized bottles are the best but I'm used to cans and they're cheaper. 12 cans of Jones Green Apple costs the same as 4 bottles. I also swear that cans have the strongest taste.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 01:02:45 am »

My soda tastes tend to fluctuate with the amount of money in my possession at any given time. When I have the time and money to go shopping, I do likes me some boutique sodas (I think the only one I've ever disliked is Steaz, and that's because it tastes too... tea-y). There's a brand sold in our College Student Bodega that's all cane sugar and makes the best black cherry soda I've had in years. Very excellent.

On the other hand, when money and time are low, I take my free mug of dining hall soda home, and I like it. I've developed a taste for fountain Coke.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 02:10:42 am »

You need to get your hands on some black cherry Switch stat.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 03:24:36 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Diet RC is also made with Splenda. I think that RC and Diet Rite have some sort of family connection; their packaging etc is very similar, and they're usually next to each other in every supermarket that carries their soda.


Diet Rite and Diet RC are both made by RC.  Back in the day, RC's original diet product was called Diet Rite.  Them Diet Rite was changed to the no-caff, no-sodium product it is now and RC didn't have a caffeinated diet drink.  Then they brought out Diet RC a few years ago.  I like it.

Anybody else remember Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge soda?  I loved that stuff.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 03:28:41 am »

I've been bringing bottles of Grape Crush to work, in sweaty glass bottles bought from an Indian man down the street. I bring two, drink one whilst smoking outside and give the spare to whomever I please. This means that all day, people try to curry favor to get a delicious Grape Crush the next day.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 03:34:16 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I've been bringing bottles of Grape Crush to work, in sweaty glass bottles bought from an Indian man down the street. I bring two, drink one whilst smoking outside and give the spare to whomever I please. This means that all day, people try to curry favor to get a delicious Grape Crush the next day.

On that subject -- have grape soda flavors recently changed for the not-like-Dimetapp-y? I used to utterly abhor grape soda, but the past few weeks I've been having grape Fanta with lunch and really enjoying it. Has there been an advancement in the state of the art of artificial grape flavor?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2005, 03:58:48 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Anybody else remember Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge soda?  I loved that stuff.

I've never heard of that but I recently discoverd Canfield's peach flavored water. And back in the day Arizona used to make both rootbeef float and chocolate-covered cherry sodas. They were good but not refreshing. After you finished one you needed another drink to wash it down.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up