Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Redhanded - 26/07/05  (Read 14013 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 04:14:00 pm »

The older I get, the more I realize that the least important aspect of formalized education is the actual knowledge that you're supposedly there to learn.

Also, I like Beef's plan, even though it didn't work for him.  I shall have to try the "You're so mean for bringing that up" look at some point in the future.

On a minor issue, maybe.

Almost insignificant.

Okay, I probably won't.  But I'll want to.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

DevinCybrus

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 04:43:04 pm »

Ogling large women at Wendy's, eh?

Beef is the epitome of a classy individual.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 05:25:53 pm »

Zart, I gotta ask, since I praised your writing the other day, are you trying extra hard because you think you're being read more carefully now?  All I can say is good job and bravo.  That is a very fine piece of writing.  Not only is it dead on the mark, but written in such a highly entertaining manner I had to re-read it twice.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 05:39:29 pm »

Zartan has been unrelenting quality pretty much from the get-go, and s/he sounds so damn familiar to my ears it's driving me crazy.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005, 06:55:15 pm »

Quote from: "DevinCybrus"
Ogling large women at Wendy's, eh?

Beef is the epitome of a classy individual.

I'd just like to point out for the record that the corpulant woman is dressed much too nicely for wendy's.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2005, 06:56:15 pm »

She's on lunch from work. Unlike Beef and Molly, who either don't seem to work or work food jobs at night.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2005, 07:04:34 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "side_show"
home schooled.  lacking in the ability to interact.  strange.


You don't say?

Wow. Just... wow. Somehow I didn't even have the slightest idea that there was an entirely separate furry culture revolving around griffins, of all the weirdass things. (Of course, this ties into the big problem with furry culture as it stands -- the fact that it is so much about Acceptance and Tolerance and Loving Everybody that all sorts of weird antisocial usually-fetishistic subcultures crop up and nobody is willing to say "I'm sorry, you're a sick fuck." It's a geek problem inexplicably writ large in the funny-animal section of the geek demographic.)
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2005, 07:16:54 pm »

I think that it all eventually boils down to level of mental wellness.

Mental health is kind of a continuum...the level at which we decide someone needs help is kind of abritrary - but some forms of fetishism and sexual identification certainly seem to be diagnosable in my opinion. I guess it depends on how functional you are and whether your behavior adversely affects others.

I think the furry thing and the griffin thing is deeply creepy.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2005, 07:19:00 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "side_show"
home schooled.  lacking in the ability to interact.  strange.


You don't say?

Wow. Just... wow. Somehow I didn't even have the slightest idea that there was an entirely separate furry culture revolving around griffins, of all the weirdass things.


If it's imaginary, you can bet someone's thought about fuck*ng it. I know that's a pretty weird and intrinsically recursive classification system, but hell, just take a look at the Internet.

Results 1 - 10 of about 973 for otherkin gryphon. (0.30 seconds)

"There is a tendency for people to be accused of role-playing if their claims are considered implausible; this has been referred to as 'subculture intolerance'" - from the first linked article

Once again, you don't say. Subculture intolerance. This is the part that I don't fully understand - do these kids (and they must certainly be, by an overwhelming margin, adolescents) not have a shadow of a doubt as re: their, er, "nature"? Do the baby photos and camcorder footage of their own head coming out of a human body not plant the seeds of an idea that, hey, I might be making all this up?

I know Smells started off talking about a kid who is (a) completely socially maladjusted and (b) sexually fixated on pretending, etc etc, but I have to wonder if it doesn't all start with pretend, and then lead into "maybe if I believe it enough it will be (retroactively) true" or, I don't know, neurolinguistic self-programming.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2005, 07:23:29 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I think that it all eventually boils down to level of mental wellness.

Mental health is kind of a continuum...the level at which we decide someone needs help is kind of abritrary - but some forms of fetishism and sexual identification certainly seem to be diagnosable in my opinion. I guess it depends on how functional you are and whether your behavior adversely affects others.

Yeah, I think you're right about the functionality thing; I mean, there are any number of weirdo fetishes that I wouldn't call mental illness unless they truly become obsessions. (I'm reminded of the old Usenet legend about the guy who had a total sexual fetish for burning loafers. How do you find out that a burning loafer is the only thing that gets you off?) Most of this stuff I'm pretty "live and let live" about, but the otherkin and other big sections of furry fandom seem to be verging on the nonfunctional.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2005, 09:18:34 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

Also, I work at home, so I can j/o any time I want.  Any time.

Also, women will often pretend that they do not understand what you are doing when you mock them.  It seems to be a natural born defence mechanism.


He's single, ladies!
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2005, 09:27:34 pm »

Don't pretend you haven't weighed the obvious pros of working from home, Bobby.

And in response to Jough, I find that slapping and yelling is a pretty instinctive response, but maybe I'm making some kind of mistake.  Maybe I'm not mocking hard enough.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2005, 09:50:41 pm »

Quote from: "acoxcae"
Don't pretend you haven't weighed the obvious pros of working from home, Bobby.


I do work from home at least a couple days a week. I end up doing laundry while on conference calls. It's a lot less glamorous than it seems.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2005, 11:20:33 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "jough"

Also, I work at home, so I can j/o any time I want.  Any time.

Also, women will often pretend that they do not understand what you are doing when you mock them.  It seems to be a natural born defence mechanism.


He's single, ladies!


You mean Griffin's.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Redhanded - 26/07/05
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2005, 03:28:46 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Zart, I gotta ask, since I praised your writing the other day, are you trying extra hard because you think you're being read more carefully now?  All I can say is good job and bravo.  That is a very fine piece of writing.  Not only is it dead on the mark, but written in such a highly entertaining manner I had to re-read it twice.
~Paul


I actually followed the link in Zart's profile and read all about his life as a librarian and found it all amazingly interesting/high-larious. However, this brings up a frightening point- am I stalking him? Given how easy it is to monitor people online, are you stalking someone if you, say, read all of their blog entries? What if they themselves didn't give you the blog address? What if you found it in a profile?

Quote from: "Mantonio"
You mean Griffin's.


I think that "He's single!" translates into Otherkin Griffin Language as AWRROOOOOOOOOOOSQUACK!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up