Wow, the internet is a small place. I was reading the whole Smoking Gun thing this morning. I then went about my daily business, but at one point I thought back to what I'd read, and started to wonder:
1) Would the job of watching all this porno and other crap be a horrible job, or a fun job. For me it would be a fun job, because I like arguing and I can laugh at almost anything. But then that is probably why I wouldn't be qualified to do it. Nor would I actually want this job. For a day, this job would be sort of funny, but sick shit for too long and something would pop in my grey matter. I watch a news thing about the people who do this job that was on last year, and one of the women said that the worst part of her job is that they actually have to watch each of the videos all the way through, you can't just watch, say "Bare Backing with Jack Surf," and assume it's alright, even if all the movies this guy and this company have put out over the previous years has been totally passable. You have to watch the whole damn thing, special features and all, to make sure nothing, nothing crosses the line. Even the ones they know will be banned they have to watch all the way through because it's not just their job to prohibit things from entering the country, but also to catch and report the illegal acts they see.
Then my mind wandered to the next thought.
2) Why would a DVD series entitled Caviar Royal be banned? I mean I can speculate that Caviar is some code term for... semen, or worse, like shit or something... It's obviously porno, and some of the German secondary titles seem to point to shitting, But what specifically makes it nessisary to prohibit these DVD's? What is the line that these films crossed? Are there grey areas, or do people who work for my govt' sit down and make detailed lists: "Yes, woman shitting on man is permissible, but man eating that shit is not okay." How does it go down? I mean I know it's a comitee from what I've seen on the news, but does it boil down to Janet and John arguing the details? "Oh, come on John, you don't see him actually doing it to her!" "Yes, Janet, but the audio commentary clearly states that he did do it to her..." Then, I remember thinking, while not near a computer, well I could do a search on the internet, but, do I really want to search this, and find out the god awful truth about it.... I decided not to back then, away from my little desk, but now that I'm here I'm curious, but... I dunno, there are some things I don't want to know, or at least see, you know? So no Caviar Royal for me tonight. At least for me, I know the line.
And now I'm starting to think about innocence, and how there is less and less of an opportunity for kids to be innocent. 'Cause I'm sorry, but the internet is a bad, bad place for kids to be, and don't tell me about blockers - not every computer has one, and eventually, eventually, the great majority of 10 yr old North Americans will, before they reach adulthood, will see porno like you could have never seen when you were 10. And kids are so damn curious.
And never mind kids, even us adults don't get to be as innocent about all the dirty seething stuff that goes on in the world. There are people out there are that are so messed up... Gawd.