Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Does the Sun Shine?  (Read 2843 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« on: July 31, 2005, 03:41:08 am »

I never knew this song was a cover, I always thought it was an homage to a certain sort of educational media those of us who grew up in the middle of the 20th century were familiar with.  Learn something new every day.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 06:47:20 am »

My worldview is SHATTERED.
Does this mean I can cover the song, and when people ask me if I'm covering the TMBG song, I can sigh?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 11:33:35 am »

I did know that, what with there being a version on It's Fun To Steal. I should have told you, I know!
Not as good as the other version though. That said I can't remember which other one it's on now, apart from live on Severe Tire Damage... Too much TMBG...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 02:04:05 pm »

Why Does The Sun Shine was a little EP, with a cover of an Allman Brothers song, a Meat Puppets cover, and Spy.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 03:47:52 pm »

Also:

25 O'Clock
Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
New York City
Yeh Yeh
Don't Cross the Street in the Middle of the Block
Maybe I Know
Feast of Lights
Tippecanoe and Tyler Too
O Tannenbaum
Lady Is a Tramp (sort of)
The Guitar (this one's stretching it)
Savoy Truffle (? This is from Songs From the Material World: A Tribute to George Harrison but I don't actually know if it's a cover)
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 04:29:13 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

Savoy Truffle (? This is from Songs From the Material World: A Tribute to George Harrison but I don't actually know if it's a cover)


Okay, usually not knowing of the Beatle's White Album would be a bannable offence, but seeing as you're a regular and all, I'll let you go get a copy now and then come back and post something about it.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 04:52:52 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Why Does The Sun Shine was a little EP, with a cover of an Allman Brothers song, a Meat Puppets cover, and Spy.


Whoa, what Meat Puppets cover is on there?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 06:44:05 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"

Whoa, what Meat Puppets cover is on there?


Whirlpool. Having just noticed the directory 'Why Does the Sun Shine (ep)'.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 08:31:55 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Savoy Truffle (? This is from Songs From the Material World: A Tribute to George Harrison but I don't actually know if it's a cover)

Okay, usually not knowing of the Beatle's White Album would be a bannable offence, but seeing as you're a regular and all, I'll let you go get a copy now and then come back and post something about it.

Actually, I can't recall if I've ever heard a Beatles song all the way through.
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 02:06:54 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Actually, I can't recall if I've ever heard a Beatles song all the way through.


As soon as I'm finished weeping uncontrollably, I'll be sure to mail you a CD.  This is a nearly unforgivable offense.

But, as Jough has said, you have many other fine qualities, so we'll just have to work on this one.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 02:09:43 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Actually, I can't recall if I've ever heard a Beatles song all the way through.

This truely is the saddest thing.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 03:01:29 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Also:

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
New York City


I think I knew the rest of those were covers, but I did not know these two.  Who did New York City originally?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 03:44:57 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Also:

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
New York City


I think I knew the rest of those were covers, but I did not know these two.  Who did New York City originally?


I just saw the original group of the Istanbul song perform last Friday night on one of those PBS remember when shows.  It was all groups from the 50's.  These guys are fossils, they were all in their 80's I would guess.  But they were having a good time and the octogenerian crowd was eating it up.  They are also the same group that did Standing on the Corner (Watching all the Girls Go By).

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 04:31:54 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Also:

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
New York City

I think I knew the rest of those were covers, but I did not know these two.  Who did New York City originally?

Apparently it was The Four Lads and Cub, respectively.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Why Does the Sun Shine?
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 12:46:47 am »

The Four Lads also recorded "Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea," which is fun to sing along with in a very "I am in summer camp again" way.

Not that anyone asked, but it's fun.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up