Jough, I didn't refer to the amount of guns, but the attitude towards having them, and what they are used for. That's what totally blows my mind. I've heard similar stats in regard to Canadian gun ownership, (Bowling for Columbine claims we have approx 7 million guns for approx 30 m people) but when people use these stats they fail to acknowledge that these numbers refer mostly to hunting rifles, not weapons used for "protection." Yes, out on the farm, almost every family has a gun, but this is something used to get rid of foxes or shoot a deer for a tasty dinner. On my SO's parents' farm they use a pellet gun to deal with predators and crop stealers instead of a gun, since they don't hunt.
AD, having spent a good deal of time working with tweens and teens, I know that a good 90 - 99% of them know exactly where their parents hide the booze, know exactly where the keys to the gun cabinet are, and have a pretty good run-down of where any contraband (Playboy, Joy of Sex, etc.) that their parents think they've supposedly hidden from them is. I also know that they will bring these things in to class to show their friends. Kids basically fetish-ise anything adult.
And Paul, it's not just the badly parented kids who get into the dangerous situations, guns or otherwise. The well parented kids and the badly parented kids don't exist in a vaccume, their paths constantly cross. Curiosity wins out over everything else sometimes, or the desire to impress peers, etc. If it's in the house the kids are venerable - trigger lock, bullet proof cabinet, "respect for the weapon," whatever.
Anyway, I know there's no point in speaking Canadian to you people, eh? You totally don't get what I'm talking abooot, so I'll shut up now, okay?