Yeah, Legos seem to have moved out of the "Toys every kid ought to have laying around" category and into the "Insanely expensive shit almost exclusively for creepy hobbyists" category. I remember having a few stray Legos involved in pretty much every Playtime, in some capacity or another; I'm sure that I had enough in aggregate to hobble an infantry battalion (if they could be convinced to walk barefoot across our living room). It's a serious question - what happened here? It's not like we've placed crippling embargoes on the Lego Mines of Belgium or anything.
I never really minded the Legos that were meant to be something specific, because the finished product, as designed / intended by Lego, always had a really pleasant way of making even the relatively mundane (e.g. that perennial favorite, the gas station) seem sleek and cozy and beautiful. Plus, when you take Legos that are very clearly meant to be one thing and one thing only out of context, and then (over time, or whatever) forget what it was meant to represent, well, you can get some pretty bizarre and wonderful ideas.
I had an opportunity to mess around with the Lego *****ics kits many, many years ago. The impression I got was that THIS SHIT IS COMPLICATED. If I remember right, you programmed them with BASIC and LOGO. I have never, ever had a head for either engineering or programming, so there you go.
EDIT: Speaking of roller coasters, did anyone ever get a chance to play with those toys that let you design a track layout very much like a roller coaster, but for marbles? That was Covet City, right there.