Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life  (Read 5399 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 10:02:08 pm »

You can still get "box of basic Legos"; I believe it may even be possible to get "big ol' bucket of Legos in a specific color". I am pretty sure that it is still quite possible also to get non-licensed set-types, like "pirate crap" and "knights crap" and "automotive crap".
However, except for tiny pocket-sized sets maybe, these are not what you will find at Generi-Mart's toy section, because they are simply less profitable than the Harry Potter Elf Hutch or Star Wars Dagobah Latrine set. A market environment where the toy store is replaced by a small toy section in your local Conglomo means that you will tend to have a narrowing of selection both to facilitate cost-saving bulk purchase and make the most of valuable floor space. The items that survive the narrowing are two groups: those with high and obvious profit potential (that is, licenses) and cheapo throwaways/knockoffs of aforementioned licenses. (The cheapos also sometimes get squeezed out of Huge-Mart and must be sought at drugstores and supermarkets.)
The net outcome of this is that you will need to either shop online or find an actual toy store to get basic Legos. I would encourage anyone who wants to buy toys to go to an actual toy store anyway, but they seem to be depressingly dying out.

As far as the "Legos targeted at creepy collectors" goes, that's actually not quite true in the sense you might think; Lego collectors do buy the odd licensed sets, but generally not (to my limited knowledge) for the purposes of building the indicated object. Rather, they do it to get the potentially useful unique blocks in that set. I'm told that, for example, the Hogwarts Castle set has some very useful pieces for a Lego builder who wants to make Gothic cathedrals.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 10:04:44 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
You can still get "box of basic Legos"; I believe it may even be possible to get "big ol' bucket of Legos in a specific color". I am pretty sure that it is still quite possible also to get non-licensed set-types, like "pirate crap" and "knights crap" and "automotive crap".
However, except for tiny pocket-sized sets maybe, these are not what you will find at Generi-Mart's toy section, because they are simply less profitable than the Harry Potter Elf Hutch or Star Wars Dagobah Latrine set.

Sadly my local mall has a Lego Store. I was all excited because I was sure it would have a huge selection. I was sorely disappointed. They were still all about the Harry Potter. It was such a Lego tease.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 10:18:07 pm »

Wow. Well, I have no idea what's wrong with your Lego Store but I am sad that this is the case.

Anyhow, I poked around lego.com and while they push the licensed kits the hardest, there are plenty of nonlicensed theme sets and you can also order things like fifty green 2x4 blocks or 62 miscellaneous yellow blocks or 36 arches or (my current favorite) 50 assorted little lego-man hats and hairdos. The "288 wheels and axles" set is kind of appealing, too.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2005, 10:50:28 pm »

Ray reminds me of Dean Moriarty in the last panel.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Suckin_Dick

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005, 12:34:59 am »

i had mad lego envy as a kid, my friend had like this big glass display box of all these ridiculously complicated lego models he'd made himself from scratch, and here i am using them as dnd miniatures.

although you know, it is a kickass dungeon crawl made ten times better when you have lego luke skywalker as your character i have to say.
Logged
suckin dick bought this van.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2005, 01:32:24 am »

Hells yes they still make plain ol' Legos!  We got a BIG ASS box of 'em upstairs.  Lego software is also pretty cool.

Having toys around is a serious fringe of having kids around.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2005, 01:45:06 am »

I still buy the toys, but not having kids means I don't have to pay for food for them.  Unfortunately I don't have space for all my toys either...
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 01:45:43 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Hells yes they still make plain ol' Legos!  We got a BIG ASS box of 'em upstairs.  Lego software is also pretty cool.


I thought Lego Star Wars would be the most retarded thing in the world until I played it. Turns out it's straightforward, easygoing fun, and whoever recorded all the wonderfully evocative Lego-esque sound effects - plastic clacking on / against / into plastic - should be given some kind of medal, even if it's chocolate wrapped in gold foil.

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Having toys around is a serious fringe of having kids around.


Yeah, but what if you end up with a kid with very specific preference for sucky toys? I know how this kind of O. Henry shit works out - it can totally happen.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 02:22:17 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Having toys around is a serious fringe of having kids around.


Yeah, but what if you end up with a kid with very specific preference for sucky toys? I know how this kind of O. Henry shit works out - it can totally happen.


Parenting is all about education...

Actually, I have a smiliar situation.  I have a kid who loves sucky TV.  Full House reruns.  Family Matters.  and Godohgodohgod the sheer horror  Step by Step.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 02:26:19 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

Actually, I have a smiliar situation.  I have a kid who loves sucky TV.  Full House reruns.  Family Matters.  and Godohgodohgod the sheer horror  Step by Step.

I was in this boat when I was a small child. The best cure, I think, is just to be bright around the kid and expose them to bright entertainment until they grow out of it and move onto less stupid stuff. Eventually, you will have a kid who is ashamed of your guilty-pleasure TV -- or so it worked with me, anyway. ("Jesus Christ, Dad, Drew Carey? Are you serious?")
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005, 02:33:28 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I have a kid who loves sucky TV.  Full House reruns.  Family Matters.  and Godohgodohgod the sheer horror  Step by Step.


There are two complete seasons of Rocky & Bullwinkle on DVD, you know.

Stat.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2005, 04:32:20 am »

People.  Do you think I have not tried these elementary solutions?  I said this was a problem, not a mere situation.  I have left these subtle strategies behind and have been forced to rely on blatant ridicule.  But it's just not working.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JeremyW

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cringecomics.com
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2005, 05:42:20 am »

This strip is fantastic.  my favourite panel is four.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2005, 11:31:00 am »

Ray is full of shit.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

beanmom

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
August 3rd, 2005 - time to reevaluate your life
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 11:48:19 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Actually, I have a smiliar situation.  I have a kid who loves sucky TV.  Full House reruns.  Family Matters.  and Godohgodohgod the sheer horror  Step by Step.


I feel your pain.  Seriously.  All I can say is "this, too, shall pass".  My kids go through some really abysmal phases in TV preferences (I still shudder when I think about the Full House and Fresh Prince jags of '04), but I find that they do move on.  Sometimes to something good, sometimes to a fresh new Hell (like that Krypto the Superdog thing that my daughter watches now.  Bleh.)

It helps to constantly have alternatives laying around, like good anime series, Pee-Wee's Playhouse, Mr. Bean, and The Adventures of Pete & Pete -- all now available on DVD for purchase or rental at Netflix.  You can't offer these, or even suggest them, but you can keep them on hand and watch them for your own enjoyment at strategic moments.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up