Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)  (Read 6545 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 04:08:33 pm »

Achewood is back for my amusement!

The last three or four strips have actually been up to the usual Achewood standards.

I don't find the stepping in dog poop itself funny, as some of you seem to, but Ray is ALL ABOUT POSITIVE THINKING and would be a good guy to have around, even if he weren't a trillionaire.

JUST LIKE OLD TIMES!

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 04:25:07 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
I'm with V about the reuse of the joke - if only because I'd hate to miss the opportunity to be nonplussed, which doesn't come around every day - but I don't find it funny.  I feel left out, being clearly in the minority at this point.

Each comic thread should be a poll. The options would be:
1) Move over Liquor Cabinet Taste-Test, for you have been bested
2) Best strip since the last best strip.
3) Meh.
4) Retire already, you sad bastard.
5) The opposite of whatever Jough says.

Can the Liquor Cabinet Taste-Test really be bested, though?

edit: And yes this poll should be the default for all new thread topics, for certain.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 04:36:48 pm »

Also, I have a request for all "FIRST POST!!#@!!!!!!" people out there, other than putting the date in the subject line, and that is to link to the permalink of the strip in the post somewhere so that three months from now when someone searches the archives then can click on the link and go read the strip more easily.

Thank you.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 05:02:33 pm »

Maybe you can code up a special readymade "strip poll" so it's not such a hassle to write a poll every day.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005, 05:12:23 pm »

WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT THIS STRIP IS THE FORESHORTENING ON RAY'S ARM TO INDICATE A CELLPHONE SELF PORTRAIT. CLEARLY HE NEEDS TO BE A HIPSTER ON MYSPACE. THAT IS ALL
Logged

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2005, 06:03:20 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Maybe you can code up a special readymade "strip poll" so it's not such a hassle to write a poll every day.

Maybe there could also be a cron job to just check achewood.com every 25 minutes to see if a new comic has been posted, and if it has; create a new topic using a random bit of text OCR'd from the comic as the title.
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2005, 06:30:05 pm »

Or use the RSS, whose sole purpose in life it is to provide a bit of text about the comic at the appropriate time.

Of course, then the thread title might not reflect the punchline/best piece.  It is way easier than writing an automated OCR script though.

edit:  This strip is gold.  Ray taking pictures to preserve this joyous occasion for posterity: excellent.  I also like that when Ray calls Beef, apparently as soon as Ray asks what he just stepped in, Beef's like "Ooh, was it dog shit?"

OLD TIMES $$$
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

editor

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 41
    • View Profile
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 06:50:18 pm »

The last panel just kills me.
*KLIK*  Foot in dog doo!
*KLIK*  Me!
*KLIK*  OLD TIMES!!!!
Logged
Congratulations, you broke the Internet.  Good job.


Don't you hate #####?

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 07:09:32 pm »

Quote from: "acoxcae"
I also like that when Ray calls Beef, apparently as soon as Ray asks what he just stepped in, Beef's like "Ooh, was it dog shit?"


That is an awesome little detail I missed this morning. One pack of "Yo! MTV Raps" trading cards to you for pointing that out.

Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 07:12:05 pm »

Quote from: "evan"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Maybe you can code up a special readymade "strip poll" so it's not such a hassle to write a poll every day.

Maybe there could also be a cron job to just check achewood.com every 25 minutes to see if a new comic has been posted, and if it has; create a new topic using a random bit of text OCR'd from the comic as the title.


We could also have it randomly generate pro- and con- posts using the text. Then we can develop random new members to occasionally be automatically generated every three months to ask why *****##### and #####***** get filtered.

It'll be easy living once we get it all automated.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005, 07:16:22 pm »

Logged

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2005, 10:30:00 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I hope he calls Pat.


Naturally, that FOOL Ray sent me his phone pictures, and just as naturally, I DELETED them without opening them.  I REFUSE to have any communication with that man until he refunds my check for his last party.  (I was instructing the manager at Books-A-Million how to improve their shelf selections and simply lost track of the time.)

(The only reason I was going to go to the party in the first place was to pique the interests of folks to buy my poetry book.  I knew that DOLT Ray wouldn't have any proper vegan food anyway.)

I knew it was Ray calling without even picking up the phone.  I had Roast Beef program my ringtones so that each number played a soundbite of Chomsky speaking Truth to Power.  The quote for Ray was a particularly scathing indictment of just the sort of person he is.  The ringtones are pretty much the ONLY intelligent part of any conversation with the FOOLS who seem to have my cell number.  (I have not yet figured out the blocking feature.)

Beef is kind of clever with soul-less, sterile things like computers.  I offered him some dried-acorn bisque as payment but he declined, saying he was late for some meeting.  I thought he could use some healthy food, as I have never seen a man grimmace so often in such a short space of time--I suspect he has picked up some rotten variant of the Clap from that trollop he insists on wasting his time with.

I'm glad I could bring something of intelligence to this discussion--I feel it is my duty to help those less gifted than myself.

--Pat Reynolds
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2005, 10:37:50 pm »

Quote from: "Null"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I hope he calls Pat.


Naturally, that FOOL Ray sent me his phone pictures, and just as naturally, I DELETED them without opening them.  I REFUSE to have any communication with that man until he refunds my check for his last party.  (I was instructing the manager at Books-A-Million how to improve their shelf selections and simply lost track of the time.)

(The only reason I was going to go to the party in the first place was to pique the interests of folks to buy my poetry book.  I knew that DOLT Ray wouldn't have any proper vegan food anyway.)

I knew it was Ray calling without even picking up the phone.  I had Roast Beef program my ringtones so that each number played a soundbite of Chomsky speaking Truth to Power.  The quote for Ray was a particularly scathing indictment of just the sort of person he is.  The ringtones are pretty much the ONLY intelligent part of any conversation with the FOOLS who seem to have my cell number.  (I have not yet figured out the blocking feature.)

Beef is kind of clever with soul-less, sterile things like computers.  I offered him some dried-acorn bisque as payment but he declined, saying he was late for some meeting.  I thought he could use some healthy food, as I have never seen a man grimmace so often in such a short space of time--I suspect he has picked up some rotten variant of the Clap from that trollop he insists on wasting his time with.

I'm glad I could bring something of intelligence to this discussion--I feel it is my duty to help those less gifted than myself.

--Pat Reynolds

Wow. A little over-the-top at points, but it's got a nice beat and you can dance to it. I give it a 9.
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2005, 10:40:00 pm »

Thank you Pat, that was enlightening and...disturbingly spot-on.

Null, you should put in to be Pat's blog ghostwriter.  I'm sure Onstad could use the time to think up more clever baby status updates.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up