Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 67   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby updates - ongoing  (Read 205863 times)

0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #435 on: June 04, 2006, 04:27:56 pm »

Speaking of old people shitting themselves, did you know I briefly worked at an old folks home as a dietary technician (basically I was the person who put the food in a blender and turned it to mush, then served it to people with varying levels of senility)? 

I remember the day I quite, I was clearing the tables and this old guy who was in need of a diaper change reached over and pinched my ass.  When I yelped his care worker said "oh, he doesn't know what he's doing."  But I looked at him, and that mother fucker was grinning from ear to ear, and looking right at me.  This is not why I quit though. 

I quit because when I asked an Alzheimer patient if she was done with her food to no response twice (the rule was that you had to ask the senile patients at least twice if they were done eating before taking their plate away if there was still food on it), when she didn't respond, I took it, and she started weeping and wailing uncontrollably.  I put her plate back and she tried to shove it off the table while continuing to weep.  The care person came over and held her as she cried.  Another patient at the table also started crying, and the care person hissed at me to take the plate away.  It was one of the saddest things I've ever seen, and I was so depressed that I went home and cried and never went back.  It was my first job, back when I was 15 1/2, and my mom tried to convince me to go back, and I just couldn't do it.  I was so saddened by the whole situation.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #436 on: June 04, 2006, 05:03:30 pm »

side_show, is the treatment of the elderly in Canada similar to that in the States (i.e., old folks are herded into nursing homes and assisted living facilities once they become too frail to live on their own, instead of living with family members because it would be too "burdensome")?  I know that for the most part here, we have an alarming lack of respect for our senior citizens, and prefer the "out of sight, out of mind" strategy of dealing with their infirmity, as opposed to appreciating the insight they can offer to us about life.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #437 on: June 05, 2006, 02:23:50 am »

Yes, that is basically exactly how the elderly are treated in Canada.  On the flip side of my horrible job at the old folks home though, my last job before fully committing to my work in theatre was as a journalist for an Aboriginal paper where I interviewed community elders and war veterans and wrote biographical articles of their lives.  It's taken me from fearing aging (and therefore fearing the aged) to a more traditional view of elders as important teachers in my life, and the life of others.  I also learned that old men love to talk about their former girlfriends from 60 years ago when their wives aren't around.  Amusing!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #438 on: June 05, 2006, 05:20:46 am »

as opposed to appreciating the insight they can offer to us about life.

Like, "I think this room has gotten smaller," and, "What have you done for me lately?"  Also demanding coffee to be made at 2am, or 3am, sometimes 4 or 5am.

I certainly appreciated it, though.

Accept for asking when I was going to have a child, I didn't appreciate that at all.

Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #439 on: June 05, 2006, 05:32:47 am »

oh man, today I was invited to a "party" that was actually just me, a nice girl, a friend of mine, 2 guys I don't know, and the nice girl's huge jewish family.
they were entirely:

  • over the age of 60
  • speaking Yiddish
  • under 5'6"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #440 on: June 05, 2006, 12:33:20 pm »


under 5'6"


You got a problem with that?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #441 on: June 05, 2006, 12:43:14 pm »

oh man, today I was invited to a "party" that was actually just me, a nice girl, a friend of mine, 2 guys I don't know, and the nice girl's huge jewish family.
they were entirely:

  • over the age of 60
  • speaking Yiddish
  • under 5'6"

My favorite "family that wasn't mine" shindig I ever went to was for a friend of mine Chiharu who is Japanese.  Not only was her family extremely accomdating and a blasty, but I could pretend I was A GIANT! 

I mean, I don't want to say I thought about Godzilla, but dammit I did.  I'm not made of wood alright? 
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #442 on: June 05, 2006, 12:53:05 pm »

womb-- no, the shortness was fine. It was just that I suddenly realized I was the tallest person at the party by a wide margin.

...

also I think they all thought I was dating their (niece/granddaughter/daughter/some other relationship). it was kind of funny.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #443 on: June 06, 2006, 03:09:21 pm »

Quote
Current toddler status, 6/5: She gorged so messily on capellini with tomato sauce that our dinner guest literally flipped his plate, stormed out the door, and peeled his car tires out in the driveway as he left.

I am not sure what is going on here.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #444 on: June 06, 2006, 03:21:38 pm »

Oh man, that's the funniest toddler update yet.  He was SO ANGRY AT THE BABY.  Even his car felt his wrath.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #445 on: June 07, 2006, 04:28:38 am »

I hope that is true, if it is true, then I like it.

Otherwise, I hate it.  I know these dudes that make jokes about shit like that, all the time.  It's so old.  Man, enough imaginary scenarios, dudes.

I hope the toddler was splashing sauce all over.  Saucing up the guest good.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #446 on: June 10, 2006, 11:56:12 am »

Current toddler status, 6/9: She and I (mostly the latter) got yelled at when she played with my special book-signing fountain pen and got ink all over her hands, her fancy shirt, and Cornelius Bear's forehead.

Noooooooooooooooo
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #447 on: June 14, 2006, 11:02:58 am »

Current toddler status, 6/13: She hid the TiVo remote in the trunk of her toy car, and it was actually kind of a problem for a few hours.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #448 on: June 14, 2006, 03:13:15 pm »

Clearly, a cry for daddy's attention.  "Please daddy, stop watching TV and play with me!" AKA, The Saddest Thing

thedudeabides85

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
  • Say good things about my dick
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #449 on: June 16, 2006, 09:17:35 am »

   
Current toddler status, 6/15: On Saturday we are going to see Otto the Clown 'Copter, who apparently has a 75 lb. functioning yo-yo.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 67   Go Up