Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 67   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby updates - ongoing  (Read 205681 times)

0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #585 on: September 11, 2006, 11:44:08 am »

Current toddler status, 9/10: Unsuccessfully piloted pink plastic trike car down deck steps (scraped nose, forehead), wore hand-me-down Princess dress with missing velcro wings. If you are directing a music video please commission these visuals.



(I know this isn't about me but: Three thousand posts. OMG.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #586 on: September 13, 2006, 06:35:03 am »

Current toddler status, 9/11: Television raised the child while I paid a few bills and made a sandwich. After that, the Magna Doodle raised her while I wrote to some friends. I can't figure out who's raising her now; I can't see her.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #587 on: September 15, 2006, 12:14:33 pm »

Current toddler status, 9/14: This might sound entirely cheesy and made-up, but today we literally went side-by-side down a great big wide slide together.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

spudboy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #588 on: September 19, 2006, 05:05:45 am »

Current toddler status, 9/18: She goes to a little school now, 2 hours a week, including snack break. This is the same schedule I used to make Stanford bearable.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #589 on: September 19, 2006, 06:19:00 am »

dude, that is such the li(f)e. I wish I could get away with that... in fact, I wish I had not decided to do extra hours. why the fuck did I do that.

I have never tried to be an overachiever. but, you know, "hey, I want to take an extra class! what the hell, it can't be that hard!"
(in reality... so far, it isn't. but I am afraid that it Will Be, and I am thinking about the More Sleep I'd be having if I were taking one class fewer.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #590 on: September 19, 2006, 02:03:56 pm »

This semester I have am 8:30 AM class five days a week. I wish I was going somewhere for two hours a week plus snack.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #591 on: September 19, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »

But what we can all learn from this is that it is really essential to remember to schedule a snack break.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #592 on: September 19, 2006, 04:04:51 pm »

Dude, I know it's whining, okay? It's just that this is the class that I have on top of my lab rotation, which I'm led to understand is basically a full-time job (or more, if you like being published), so it's like adding insult to injury. I am aware that I am insulated from the outside world and thus deserve no respect from anyone not in academe, thank you.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #593 on: September 19, 2006, 04:57:45 pm »

I have never understood this kind of comment. Yes, it sucks to wake up for an 8 AM class. it sucks more to get up for a 7 AM job. Do degrees not exist anymore?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #594 on: September 19, 2006, 06:55:27 pm »

Inev, someday you too will be Old and will be a messageboard curmudgeon, all Youth is Wasted On The Young, like me and Ash.  Then you will understand.

Speaking of which, does anyone else think that toddler updates have just never been as good baby updates?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #595 on: September 19, 2006, 07:12:27 pm »

These young punks today just don't know how good they gots it.

Now git off'n my lawn!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #596 on: September 19, 2006, 07:21:20 pm »

By the way, it's bullshit that college is the best years of your life.  You couldn't pay me to be twenty again.  We're just jealous because if we went back to that life now, it would seem easy and fun, because we know what we know now and have all the skills we've gained since then.  But if we old folk were actually twenty again without all the experience we have accumulated, it would suck for a second time.

The thing is, don't you think baby updates were snarkier?  Toddler updates are sometimes actually, OMG, cute.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #597 on: September 19, 2006, 07:34:29 pm »

There really should not be a "best years" -- it seems like for me, the best years were always 4/5 years ago, but instead of distancing myself from them as time passes, this time buffer remains constant.  So it's all nostalgia anyway.  Unless, of course, you get yourself stuck in a thoughtless job and never have time to take a train across russia.
Logged
~

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #598 on: September 21, 2006, 02:45:02 am »

By the way, it's bullshit that college is the best years of your life.  You couldn't pay me to be twenty again.  We're just jealous because if we went back to that life now, it would seem easy and fun, because we know what we know now and have all the skills we've gained since then.  But if we old folk were actually twenty again without all the experience we have accumulated, it would suck for a second time.

The thing is, don't you think baby updates were snarkier?  Toddler updates are sometimes actually, OMG, cute.



College was awesome. I would go back in a second.

Also, I read that quote header as "The Dick in Asherdan's Hand". That was funny.

And, finally, I'm almost 40 and now I work 5am to 2pm. First non 9-5er in my life. That SUCKS, y'all.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #599 on: September 21, 2006, 03:17:16 am »

With regards to the college thing, just because I'm another whiney ingrate:
I'm in my honours year so I go into the lab I work at every day, usually from about 9ish till 5 or 6 (sometimes I stay later but thats really just because the net here is better than at home so it doens't really count) then on thursdays I go straight from there to the petrol station where I work a few hours till 9. On friday I go home and get a couple of hours sleep so I can work the graveyard from 10pm to 7am then usually have to go straight to sleep so I can wake up and work the 5 to 8 shift on saturday afternoon. Then I get to have sunday morning all to myself until I have to go in and work another stupidly short shift sunday night.
Now these are all choices I've made and I'm happy with them, I love uni and my job is tolerable but when my dad talks to me about how hard it will be in the 'real world' and how these are the best years of my life (particularly from a guy who works 9-4 in an office so quiet he frequently falls asleep in the middle of the day) I have to double check for some sort of facial tic that would let me know he's making some sort of joke.

For my money what makes uni (college, whatever) so much better than paid work is the amount of self-direction, that in itself is wonderfully satsifying and something I imagine you have to work for a while to achieve in the work-a-day world.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 67   Go Up