Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 67   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby updates - ongoing  (Read 205706 times)

0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #885 on: May 22, 2007, 03:07:30 pm »

...they have Preschool graduations? not at the preschools my family went to, and you'd think they would, being Montessoris and all. My school had "Moving Up" ceremonies for 5th and 8th graders. We also had "Convocation" at the beginning of the year for Seniors, which I'm told is not usual. We wore our gowns and everything.

My year, an english teacher gave a speech about how you shouldn't use the words Retarded or Nigger in any context. It was pretty awesome. It was a good message, but perhaps out of place? I was really mad, though, because the speakers seemed to get worse and worse every year. Mostly because the first year my Latin teacher, probably my favorite teacher ever, gave a speech about the need for religion/spirituality in life, and it was the best and most moving speech I've ever heard.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #886 on: May 22, 2007, 04:11:22 pm »

For my graduation (not my 5th grade, 8th grade, or first semester of tenth grade graduation, I mean My Graduation), the decision was made not to have a guest speaker, but instead to have a Class Poem recited. I think this was because the class leadership wasn't willing to put forth the effort in finding a speaker, and pisses me off to this day. The best/worst part of the fiasco came when, prior to the Class Poem being read by its author, a member of the school board made some remarks, and included some imagery (about aiming for the moon, because if you miss, you'll still be among the stars) that ended up being the Big Emotional Moment of the poem - with the result that the poem was completely deflated by the time it was read.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #887 on: May 22, 2007, 04:42:14 pm »

I think at my HS graduation we copped out and just got our congressman or something. Hell of lame.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #888 on: May 22, 2007, 05:06:27 pm »

I forget who spoke at my graduation. I feel like he was pretty good, but everyone else hated him... but I don't remember a single thing he said, or who he was.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #889 on: May 22, 2007, 10:41:09 pm »

I really think they should completely do away with addresses at graduation ceremonies. They're completely unnecessary, nobody really learns anything from them, no one remembers them, and we're all sitting in heavy robes in the hot sun and we should just get on with it. I think it would make graduations a much more bearable experience for everyone involved.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #890 on: May 26, 2007, 10:44:50 pm »

Current toddler status, 5/25
Lady and the Tramp continuity error No. 5: In the bistro scene, Tramp remarks on his love for tarragon, yet earlier in the film it is established that dogs cannot taste tarragon.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #891 on: May 27, 2007, 01:19:25 am »

I really think they should completely do away with addresses at graduation ceremonies. They're completely unnecessary, nobody really learns anything from them, no one remembers them, and we're all sitting in heavy robes in the hot sun and we should just get on with it. I think it would make graduations a much more bearable experience for everyone involved.

There were over 900 kids in my graduating class. Sitting in a folding chair for 3 hours in the blisteringly hot May sun in Colorado was torture. God, it was awful. I hate ceremonies.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #892 on: May 27, 2007, 01:28:22 am »

I skipped all my graduations after sixth grade and never regretted it for a minute. Of course I'm also the kind of person who got married in a justice of the peace's living room with no witnesses and would have preferred if it were possible to do it by mail, so your mileage may vary.

Are these Lady and the Tramp posts getting more surreal every time? It sounds like he's really going to lose it if he watches that movie one more time. But I realized that I am not sure I understand the problem. If you, like, read a magazine while sitting and 'watching' a movie with your child, will the county come and take her away?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #893 on: May 28, 2007, 04:23:26 am »

I attended a graduation ceremony at the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts on Friday and there weren't any speechs.  Well the Dean and some dude from the school board spoke briefly and the valedictorian also said a few words, but that was it.  Instead of speeches all the seniors performed in their various fields.  It was really entertaining.  Especially the jazz band.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #894 on: May 28, 2007, 05:13:41 am »

I skipped all my graduations after sixth grade and never regretted it for a minute. Of course I'm also the kind of person who got married in a justice of the peace's living room with no witnesses and would have preferred if it were possible to do it by mail, so your mileage may vary.

MY DREAM WEDDING. I am really scared of weddings.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #895 on: May 28, 2007, 07:19:59 pm »

wow. I love the crap out of ceremonies and such.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #896 on: May 30, 2007, 02:03:27 am »

MY DREAM WEDDING. I am really scared of weddings.

I got married at the Doughnut Shop.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #897 on: May 30, 2007, 05:50:38 am »

I got married at the Doughnut Shop.

The Voodoo Doughnut shop? Do they allow polygamy all up in there? How about polyandry? Because I couldn't find an honest man up here, I hope to find veritable cornucopia of eligible fellas when I hit Denver.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #898 on: May 30, 2007, 06:05:34 am »

The Voodoo Doughnut shop? Do they allow polygamy all up in there? How about polyandry? Because I couldn't find an honest man up here, I hope to find veritable cornucopia of eligible fellas when I hit Denver.

I'm perfectly willing to marry you, but I'm not going all the way to Denver for . . . you know.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #899 on: May 30, 2007, 03:39:27 pm »

With a 4:1 ratio of males to females on your Alaskan island you couldn't leverage your advantage?  You've got some high standards, lady :)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 67   Go Up