Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server Upgrade to PHP5  (Read 1387 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Server Upgrade to PHP5
« on: August 10, 2005, 10:59:05 pm »

Hey kids,

I upgraded the server to PHP5 today, which should mean nothing but performance enhancements and a faster board, but I don't completely trust phpBB's developers to have fixed any incompatibilities, so...

Just let me know if something doesn't work right here, or if the site seems slower than usual, etc.

Thanks.

-- J.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Server Upgrade to PHP5
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 07:31:18 am »

Seems alright to me, and, possibly a little faster, but don't take my word for it. I'm often running Azureus (torrents) so it's difficult to tell if pages are loading faster because I'm going through a quiet spell or it's actually faster than usual...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Server Upgrade to PHP5
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 03:13:15 pm »

Yeah, the only way I can perceive the speed increase is to turn off Azureus, but there are timers that I can turn on with my scripts and I'm seeing about a 500% increase in speed.  Word Press sometimes takes 0.000 seconds to display a page, which means what, it's instantaneous?

Anyway, no problems so far.  I'd been holding off upgrading since the first releases of anything tend to be buggy, but PHP5's been out for a year now, and this current version has been out since April without any need for a bugfix release, and I'm starting a large project and decided that I probably shouldn't write more PHP4 code when I could do the same work in half the time with PHP5, due to its better support of OOP.

Those of you who have emailed me with problems on the board - these problems pretty much have nothing to do with PHP5, but I will investigate anyway.  

There were some changes to the latest version of phpBB that seem to make the script timeout if the post is long.  Don't know why that is, but I'm thinking that it may be parsing the text for security and the parsing is inefficient in some way that makes a lot of text crash the thing.

I'm getting a little sick of phpBB exploits and having to install a new version once a week anyway.  Surely there are other board systems out there that will do the trick and be less buggy and more secure.  I don't think any of us are married to phpBB, and its ubiquity should mean that importing old posts would be pretty easy.

I was thinking of springing for a vBulletin license and moving the board to that, but I don't know.  Their support is supposed to suck too, and at least phpBB has bug fixes.

I'm open to suggestions, though.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Server Upgrade to PHP5
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 03:15:02 pm »

I'll help customize invision power board, if you go that way - had much success with it over on the other board i read.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Server Upgrade to PHP5
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 03:21:55 pm »

It's an option, although I really hate using invision, so we'd have to be talking about some serious customisation here.

There's a new board called Vanilla that looks promising too, although it's a little too new and unproven for me to want to jump right into using it in a place where people actually post regularly.

http://getvanilla.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up