I hear you AD. When we chose our lot I remember we were standing there and a herd of kids ran past, apparently playing "big kids against little kids tag," and saying to the SO - "people let their kids run around loose, that's a good sign. These kids also seem to assume that our back yard is their playground - that's a not so good thing." My writing grant should pay nicely for a fence to correct the latter issue. I don't assume the kids are bad, I just know they're bored and unsupervised, which oft equals bad behavior.
Across the street is "The guy with the dogs." He has at least five dogs. My friendly neighbour with the name I don't know, bought a puppy from him a month ago, so I imagine he used to have more thand five. He walks three together and the other two separatly. He also seems to have some sort of relationship with a dog that seems to just run loose (perhaps this is dog # 6, and I've also noticed that the neighbourhood stray cats seem to hover around his yard. I have a feeling he's feeding the strays.
Also, Asherdan, in regard to The Lazy Bum Element, my SO and I totaly fit the MO, we're 20 somethings, our yard is just expose clay at the moment ( even thought the builders told us we had to go unlandscaped for a year to allow for settling, we both still feel like bums with a dirt yard) and for the first month of living here we couldn't afford to buy a garbage can. We're not poor right now, we're po'. We don't have dumpsters in our neighbourhood, only private cans, but I would never leave my giraffe-bone laden bag on the ground - that would be stupid and mean to whoever cared enough to clean up after someone that idiotic. For the first month of our lives in this house, I have been sneaking garbage into our neighbours' cans, hoping they don't hate us. A couple weeks ago I got a neighbour's permission to use her can. Last night I proudly painted our address in three places on my first ever, grown up garbage can, donated to me by my parents, tyed the lid to the handle with twine, and wheeled it out into the back lane for pick up. Hooray for simple pleasures.
In regard to lay-abouts in my neck of the woods, our across the lane neighbour is a gent in his mid 40's with a big-ol' beer belly, and a long scraggley fall of hair around the back and sides where he isn't balding. He has three cars in his back yard (which takes up all of his yard), each have clearly been sitting for a long time un-driven, each with hoods/doors/bumpers a different colour from the body, and all with a painted letter on each windshield (what's with the painted letter, anyone?). He recently used old warped, weather worn plywood to build a make-shift shed for himself, and I have to say it goes well with the parked junkers.
Also, we got a neighbourhood info sheet dropped in our box which lists helpful numbers along with "police morals unit" and the "report a john line" ...interesting.