Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: August 11, 2005 - The Miracle  (Read 4301 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« on: August 11, 2005, 08:39:24 am »

This one was ok, I think it will be better on a second viewing. I don't know, all the ingredients were there:
Ray having a classy party and just giving people money because: check.
Someone getting insulted for no real reason in a slightly odd way: check.
Todd doing something totally offensive and ridiculous: check.
An item (in this case the shirt) that makes you realise just how pathetic the character is: check.
But I'm just not feeling it. Damn now I got myself all bummed out.

Its kind of odd how Ray wants to send Todd away until he realises Todd wants money, for most people this conversation would work the other way around.

Also Todd has always looked kind of odd to me and the shirt just emphasises this.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 08:56:24 am »

Todd's shirt is awesome.
BALLS!
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 12:48:01 pm »

Things that are funny on further pondering:

ankle veins busting?

The shirt was already made -- I think Todd wanted money because he believed he was entitled to have somebody pay for it, not because he needed the money (can you make T-shirts on credit?)

Use of the word 'simoleon'. That's something you only hear from charlatans in period movies these days.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 12:55:48 pm »

I like how Ray expanded the "you're" when repeating how terrible Todd is. Apparently this contest is being held at a Dave Tieff concert.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 01:15:07 pm »

I think Todd has a pretty good shot. After all, he did yell at his girlfriend so loud that he went to the hospital.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 01:42:34 pm »

Todd's a squirrel, right?  Why does he have a huge snout, like a rat, in panel seven?

Um, I suppose I should ask why all the animals walk upright, wear clothes and talk while I'm at it.

/never mind, sorry for breaking the mood
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 01:53:41 pm »

I like this for the sheer surrealism of the idea. It's just a funny concept. I also like how the party Ray is at is totally unexplained, despite the fact that he appears to have gotten into full suit for it. Also, the concept that anyone would hold a contest about this.

So, yeah. The base ideas are satisfying, anyway.
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 02:00:26 pm »

You know full well the party is Ray and Beef in suits watching Braveheart and nothing more.
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 03:21:28 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
So, yeah. The base ideas are satisfying, anyway.


like buying the most supreme Supreme pizza ever, but despite the carefully selected collection of toppings and top-quality ingredients and preparation, it came out just a little runny and underdone.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

V-Adore

  • Guest
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 03:42:37 pm »

Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
So, yeah. The base ideas are satisfying, anyway.


like buying the most supreme Supreme pizza ever, but despite the carefully selected collection of toppings and top-quality ingredients and preparation, it came out just a little runny and underdone.

But it's still pretty good, because even tepid pizza, like tepid Achewood, is decently tasty.

Great, now I'm hungry.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 03:44:43 pm »

Quote from: "cellardoor"
You know full well the party is Ray and Beef in suits watching Braveheart and nothing more.


Heh!

I took the strip more as Todd's oblique way of threatening to disrupt Ray's high-falutin' party.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 03:47:32 pm »

Quote from: "Null"
Todd's a squirrel, right?  Why does he have a huge snout, like a rat, in panel seven?

Um, I suppose I should ask why all the animals walk upright, wear clothes and talk while I'm at it.

/never mind, sorry for breaking the mood

Now it's bothering me. I looked back at his first appearance (normal squirrel head shape) and the Toilet Party sequence (this weird little rat nose thing) and am wondering when things changed. It definitely is unnerving when you actually think about it. Anyone out there more desperate to dodge work than I willing to page through the archives?
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 03:55:11 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Also, the concept that anyone would hold a contest about this.


This reminds me of a bar game some friends of mine played once, long ago. It was called the "c*ck Game" and it started off with one person mumbling the word "c*ck" in a barely audible manner. The second person had to say it a bit louder, then back to the first guy who said it louder still. If this game goes "right," pretty soon you have two people yelling the word "c*ck" at the top of their lungs until their ankle veins burst. The game is over when one of the contestants finally regains a sense of shame and stops yelling "c*ck." It was a sad spectacle.

I bet Onstad played this game in college.
Logged

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 04:06:34 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Anyone out there more desperate to dodge work than I willing to page through the archives?


There is nothing better than using Achewood to avoid work.  As of 3/18/04, Todd still has a normal head.  I will post updates to this.

I wonder why Todd doesn't have a blog.  I know he's illiterate, but when has that ever stopped anyone from having a blog.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
August 11, 2005 - The Miracle
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 05:30:52 pm »

Did Ray always treat Todd like this? "This ain't no party of crap dudes"?

And parting with $50 bucks shouldn't mean much to him either.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up