Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: August 12, 2005 - Hello SIMON.  (Read 5005 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
August 12, 2005 - Hello SIMON.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 05:54:55 pm »

Pat's dad is a kazoo playing gay hippy guy!

And Pat has a positive hatred for all of the above. Was Pat raised in a gay kazoo hippy household?  No wonder he turned out the way he did.

On a side note, we went to a baby luau yesterday at the home of some friends of ours who are vegans.

The food that was GOOD was vegan-prepared from fresh ingredients and was intuitively what you would do with such ingredients.

HOWEVER

As I have said before:

Don't PRETEND you can make just ANYTHING from vegan ingredients. You can't. You shouldn't.

That was a CRIME against chocolate chip cookies. It was very hard to keep my six year-old daughter from discussing how gross they were to the vegans.

Now, the Seitan skewers off the barbecue were OK. Mainly because they didn't present them as a triumphant substiture for meat. Seitan is...well...chewy. It took on the flavor of the teriyaki sauce they used and it tasted OK - they need to figure out how to add flavor to tempeh and seitan without it losing all structure. Then maybe I would eat it more than once every five years or consider it an occasional possibility for meals.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
August 12, 2005 - Hello SIMON.
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2005, 06:28:27 pm »

A baby luau?  Is this a small luau, or one for a baby?  I assume the latter...

And yes AD, as a former Vegetarian, I have to agree with you: once you are over 12 you should no longer eat food that pretends to be something else.  Gummy worm?  Sure.  Fake giraffe made of soy?  No.

Everyone knows that an Elvis impersonator is not Elvis, and no matter how much they like the impersonator, he is not Elvis.  As much as the impersonator might look like Elvis, he is not, nor will he ever be Elvis.  No matter how enthusiastic the audience might get for an impersonator, they know they would enjoy the real Elvis a thousand times more, if they could only have him again.  It's the same with being vegan - either accept that Elvis is dead and that you will never eat animal products ever again, or go down to the mall, pick up the greatest hits and a steak and be done with it.

Seitan skewers?  No thank you.  I don't want food that apologises to me for not being meat.  Why not just make some very tasty marinated veggie skewers?  And I take it you were referring to carobe chip cookies - why not make peanut butter cookies?  There are all sorts of vegetarian foods that are really great and don't pretend to not be vegetarian.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
August 12, 2005 - Hello SIMON.
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 06:35:36 pm »

Must... resist... impulse... to ask if Baby Luau involves roasted baby w/apple in mouth...

Also, why couldn't vegans eat chocolate?  Milk chocolate I could see the problem with, but dark chocolate?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

executioneer

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
August 12, 2005 - Hello SIMON.
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 07:06:05 pm »

think of the poor oompa-loompas :(
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
August 12, 2005 - Hello SIMON.
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 08:38:22 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"



Everyone knows that an Elvis impersonator is not Elvis, and no matter how much they like the impersonator, he is not Elvis.  As much as the impersonator might look like Elvis, he is not, nor will he ever be Elvis.  No matter how enthusiastic the audience might get for an impersonator, they know they would enjoy the real Elvis a thousand times more, if they could only have him again.


Assuming you would have enjoyed the real Elvis in the first place. Of course, if you are a real fan, you know he is still alive. (Rent Bubba Ho-Tep)  

Quote from: "side_show"

It's the same with being vegan - either accept that Elvis is dead and that you will never eat animal products ever again, or go down to the mall, pick up the greatest hits and a steak and be done with it.


Seitan skewers?  No thank you.  I don't want food that apologises to me for not being meat.  Why not just make some very tasty marinated veggie skewers?  And I take it you were referring to carobe chip cookies -why not make peanut butter cookies?.


Because cookies with no butter or eggs suck no matter what you put in them. Also Only God knows what kind of flour they used. It might have been potato.

Quote from: "side_show"

There are all sorts of vegetarian foods that are really great and don't pretend to not be vegetarian.


Where I grew up, we referred to these as 'side dishes'.


All kidding aside, I do occasionally eat meals that have don't feature meat. I won't however, attempt to make vegetarian meat. This is what I don't get...why vegetarians and even vegans make fake-meat items. Vegetarian meatloaf? Vegetarian meatballs? Why? Do you miss meat? Eat some.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
August 12, 2005 - Hello SIMON.
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 08:58:21 pm »

I don't eat vegetarian meat..... often.
Garden burgers are mighty good though!

I hate tofu OTOH.

Really, I'm not vegetarian or vegan...  I just don't eat red meat.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
August 12, 2005 - Hello SIMON.
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 09:46:41 pm »

There are some tasty processed-soy "chicken" patties in the freezer section. They don't really taste like chicken but they're pretty tasty processed soy protein. The same company makes "buffalo wings" that taste like tasty processed soy and Buffalo sauce.
Logged

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
August 12, 2005 - Hello SIMON.
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 11:51:13 pm »

In my mind, Simon looks and sounds just like Aaaarthur.  Kind of an Ed Wynn voice.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
August 12, 2005 - Hello SIMON.
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2005, 03:55:40 am »

AD, I've seen Bubba Ho-Tep, and it is awesome.  I make my peanut butter cookies w/o any dairy or eggs, if I use margarine, but I don't generally margarine, I'm a butter girl.  

AW - I was going to make the same joke, but AD has taught me that baby eating is never funny.

Ben-San - when I was a vegetarian I ate the buffalo wings from said company to excess.  They were the height of blah...  but they were the way I tried to keep myself from craving real chicken, which is my second favorite food in all of food-dom.  I later found out that soy negatively interacts with a medication I take to stay alive, which explained why I got so very sick in spite of my healthy livin' ways.  I still eat mostly giraffe and chicken any way.

Starlight, you will never enjoy Garden Burgers once you've puked one up due to drinking.  I'm still traumatized from when it happened to me.  Be warned.

And finally, back on topic:  I really want to see Pat's dad, or atleast a flash back now...
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
August 12, 2005 - Hello SIMON.
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2005, 03:51:38 pm »

I enjoy real chicken, but I also enjoy these little Buffalo thingies. I would probably not enjoy them as much if they had a negative interaction with a medication I required in order to not die. Not dying is something I enjoy better than chicken or Buffalo thingies.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up