Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain (08-25-03)  (Read 4388 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain (08-25-03)
« on: August 25, 2003, 05:58:18 pm »

What the HELL people?

A new strip and no one has any comments?

So what's the deal with that last panel - Schwimmer is the dog that lands a nickel on his nose?

Strip.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:53:28 am by Nabubrush »
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 06:27:10 pm »

I took it as giving lie to the idea that Americans of the future would be so intellectually inclined as to required special machines meet the chess-playing demands.  Schwimmer is presented as today's version of the nickel nose dog.

Heh, heh.  Nickel Nose Dog -- Band name!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 06:35:09 pm »

Confession time, some of us are so out of touch that we didn't comment in the hope that other people's posts would eventually reveal who the heck the guy in the last panel is.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 06:47:33 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Schwimmer is presented as today's version of the nickel nose dog.

Heh, heh.  Nickel Nose Dog -- Band name!


Yea I reckon that's what's intended. And damnit, if only I didn't have a band name. Although it turns out some bastards already used it to name their games company...

And wombat - I wish I was as out of touch as that. It saddens me that I know who these 'people' are!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 07:08:22 pm »

A slightly bizarre strip, and one with a bit more of a stinger than usual, but appropriate.

I'm actually really liking how this is all being shown from Twain's POV, with his running monologue; it probably serves the story better than a Ray POV would have, really. Let's just hope that we get more of Philippe's quest for Santa.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 10:21:47 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
A slightly bizarre strip, and one with a bit more of a stinger than usual, but appropriate.

I'm actually really liking how this is all being shown from Twain's POV, with his running monologue; it probably serves the story better than a Ray POV would have, really. Let's just hope that we get more of Philippe's quest for Santa.


Also, it's easier to draw since Twain rarely appears this way. I'm not sure if the coolness is the side effect or vice versa.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 10:35:10 pm »

Schwimmer. Is. Not. Rad
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2003, 12:55:20 am »

I'm enjoying the mention of eBay over and over again muchly - maybe my mom should sell time travel machines on her account :D

Bah to Schwimmer - he has that 'uh duh with a slice of I'm tryin' to be suave' look goin' on.  certainly not rad.
I do admit I like to watch Friends
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
10 seasons of land a wooden nickel on his nose
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2003, 01:13:36 am »

A spring loaded dog that can land a nickel on his nose is pretty cool, but not for 10 frickin' seasons.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Thak

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 01:42:22 am »

Oh man, I loved this strip.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 12:23:03 am »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "side_show"
Schwimmer. Is. Not. Rad


Neither. Is. Leaching. Bandwidth.


Umm, I don't know anything about computers - am I doing something bad?  I don't even own a working system, and post from work.  please explain.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 06:59:39 am »

The avatar?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2003, 07:55:44 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "side_show"
Schwimmer. Is. Not. Rad


Neither. Is. Leaching. Bandwidth.


Umm, I don't know anything about computers - am I doing something bad?  I don't even own a working system, and post from work.  please explain.

I think what he means is that (presumably) you linked your avatar straight from achewood.com webspace. When you do that, it basically steals bandwidth from Onstad, as it loads from his site. This is generally not a good thing to do.

The solution is to download the image and either put in on your own webspace, find a friend who's willing to host it, or find one of the several free hosts on the Web and upload it there. Easier for everyone.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2003, 08:10:14 am »

I e-mailed Onstad some instructions on how to stop people from hotlinking his images today.

He's kinda lazy, though, and not too technically minded, so I don't know if he'll follow through.

Pretty easy, though, to upload a .htaccess file.

Anyway, that would fix his hotlinking problem once and for all.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2003, 08:50:42 pm »

Thanks all - I had no idea that what I was doinq was wrong, so I apreciate all your help.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up