Left to my own devices, I would probably end up resorting to eating Burger King five days a week and Little Caesar's the other two. I have, however, had the pleasure of a stable, loving relationship for the past nine months with an excellent cook. She suggests (and owns) a book called "
Teens Cook," written by the daughters of a woman who writes "real" cookbooks for a living, for people like us, so that we would have something to eat other than... Burger King and Little Caesar's. I've flipped through it a bit, and it's easy enough for me to understand - if I could use it, I'm sure you could as well. The hardest part seems to be getting over the name of it. Just, I dunno... tell the lady at Barnes and Noble it's for your little sister or something.
She also suggests the Betty Crocker cookbook and the cookbook(s) in the "For Dummies" series. Ultimately, her real suggestion is to go to the local bookstore, and hit the cookbook section. Look through some of them. If you come across a term like "blanching," and the cookbook explains what blanching IS, instead of just assuming that you learned it from your days in culinary school, it's probably a winner.
Starting next week, I go to work real early and come home around lunchtime, so I might have to use some of these suggestions myself when it comes time to eat. So I'll be watching with interest as well.