Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Poll

Which book should we read for September?

Albert Camus/the Plague
- 0 (0%)
Nick Cave/And the Ass Saw the Angel
- 0 (0%)
Leonard Cohen/Beautiful Losers
- 2 (13.3%)
Katherine Dunn/Geek Love
- 5 (33.3%)
Neil Gaiman/American Gods
- 4 (26.7%)
David Mitchell /Ghostwritten
- 2 (13.3%)
Chuck Palahniuk/Survivor
- 0 (0%)
Thomas Pynchon/Gravity's Rainbow
- 1 (6.7%)
Tom Robbins/Still Life with Woodpecker
- 0 (0%)
Salman Rushdie/The Satanic Verses
- 1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: August 29, 2005, 02:53:28 pm


Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Vote for September's book o' the month  (Read 4139 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Vote for September's book o' the month
« on: August 22, 2005, 02:53:28 pm »

In related author news, apparently Leonard Cohen is broke.

The local radio stations had a drive encouraging people to go buy Lenoard Cohen CD's.  (Even if "Beautiful Losers" is our next selection, I won't be throwing any money Lenny's way, I bought my copy years ago, but just haven't read it yet.  Then again, I would want to listen to some of his music while reading his book, so I suppose I could pick up a greatest hits type deal-y)

This poll will close in one week, so get your votes in!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 03:07:15 pm »

After V's hard lobbying for Geek Love last month, how can I vote any other way?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 03:24:52 pm »

Ah yes, Geek Love is the only book on the list which I have already read, twice in fact, but it's a great world to get into.  My SO, who reads about 2-3 books a year read it also just before we moved to our new house and enjoyed it.  The world of circus freaks is so interesting, and Dunn presents it so beatifully, humanly...
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 08:41:03 pm »

I've read it twice and would gladly read it again (as opposed to Franny & Zooey, which the psychosis of August meant I never got around to; sorry). It's been a few years, and what a world.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 12:54:58 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I've read it twice and would gladly read it again (as opposed to Franny & Zooey, which the psychosis of August meant I never got around to; sorry). It's been a few years, and what a world.


It would not have helped your psychosis.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 09:45:26 pm »

Yes, and while Franny and Zooey has been mostly about a sibling getting out of hand with the praying, Geek Love... well I don't want to give anything away for those who've yet to read it, so lets just say its partially about a sibling whose "activities" get way, way out of hand.

It'll be an interesting compairson of the upper class/upper middle-class Glass family to the Benewski's (in Geek Love) who are a family who basically defies explaination, if we do go with this book next...

Anyways, as always I will not vote unless there's a need for a tie breaker, I basically want to read all the books listed above.  The poll closes tomorrow, so get your votes in now people!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 01:50:14 am »

And the winner is:  Geek Love, by Katherine Dunn.  Go get yer copies now!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 02:39:04 am »

Ooh, yay. Looking forward to having a reread of this and seeing how it holds up.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 06:13:44 am »

I've decided to be an anti-luddite and not buy books (well, not novels) anymore unless they're also available in eBook format so I can keep a copy with me in my PDA (even though I'll generally read from a paperback book rather than on my Palm).  I'm sick of publishers not putting out decent quality eBooks for common novels.

So no eBook, they can go to hell and DIE.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 06:16:37 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I've decided to be an anti-luddite and not buy books (well, not novels) anymore unless they're also available in eBook format so I can keep a copy with me in my PDA (even though I'll generally read from a paperback book rather than on my Palm).  I'm sick of publishers not putting out decent quality eBooks for common novels.

So no eBook, they can go to hell and DIE.

... well... okay? I mean, whatever works for you, I guess. Your loss, in this case.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 06:31:43 am »

Also, what is it with publishers listing books as being "nominated" for a Pulitzer or National Book Award - there are no nominations for those awards.  You send your entry fee and two/five copies of the book, and you're entered into the competition.  If you're not from New York City, or at least not loved by those who are, then forget about winning.  But for fuck's sake, don't brag about being "nominated" for something that doesn't even really have nominations.  Yeah, you had $50 to enter.  That's quite a fuck*ng accomplishment.

HEY YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 06:02:44 am »

haha oh man

i'm pretty sure at this point that chris onstad has based pat on jough
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 09:20:07 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Also, what is it with publishers listing books as being "nominated" for a Pulitzer or National Book Award - there are no nominations for those awards.  You send your entry fee and two/five copies of the book, and you're entered into the competition.  If you're not from New York City, or at least not loved by those who are, then forget about winning.  But for fuck's sake, don't brag about being "nominated" for something that doesn't even really have nominations.  Yeah, you had $50 to enter.  That's quite a fuck*ng accomplishment.

HEY YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN


It was a finalist I think.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 05:47:15 pm »

So I'm not done yet, and might not be by the end of the month, as I have mad shit to do, but I'm really enjoying it.

What has everyone else thought?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Vote for September's book o' the month
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 08:20:48 pm »

Seriously? I almost made the same post earlier today.

I'm really enjoying it, and will probably be finished by tomorrow night, if not sooner. I'm amazed and frightened for and by most all the characters. I love it.

Seeing as how it's so close to October, should we delay selection of the next book until just before November?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up