Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Poll

?

Classical
- 1 (5.9%)
Classic rock
- 2 (11.8%)
Soft Rock
- 1 (5.9%)
'80's Hair
- 2 (11.8%)
Punk
- 5 (29.4%)
Metal
- 1 (5.9%)
Country
- 0 (0%)
Rap
- 1 (5.9%)
Electronic
- 4 (23.5%)
Golden Oldies
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: August 01, 2003, 04:57:07 pm


Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Musical Genre?  (Read 11878 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Favorite Musical Genre?
« on: August 01, 2003, 04:57:07 pm »

Vote.  Discuss.  You know the drill.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 05:03:17 pm »

Mine's kind of a combination....  I used to be hardcore into punk/ska, but now I'm more of a fan of emo/folk/whatever.  But out of the choices given, I will stick with my roots and go punk rock
Logged

yahnai

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 43
    • View Profile
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 06:19:04 pm »

man, i think you're missing some genres in there.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 06:41:09 pm »

True, that list hella needs Latvian Nostril Chant but I'm guessing you're only allowed like 8 options in a poll.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 06:57:25 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
True, that list hella needs Latvian Nostril Chant but I'm guessing you're only allowed like 8 options in a poll.


ding ding ding!  

If you've got something not listed, just post about it here.  I didn't have room to add "Soundscapes."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 07:25:07 pm »

Desert rock...
Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Orchesta del Desierto, Masters of Reality, Hermano, Unida, The Desert Sessions, Mark Lanegan's solo works.
Anything Josh Hommes touches turns instantly to gold!
(Welcome to Sky Valley by Kyuss is just a beautiful album)
But on the other hand I listen to so much varied stuff... My other current fave would probably be like, everything by Tom Waits.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

misterhaan

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • http://www.track7.org/
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 08:07:54 pm »

i'm mostly into electronic, which i take as a broad category including industrial, house, synthpop, and other forms of interesting wierdness.
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 08:10:51 pm »

I didn't see electronic anything in there, which I think deserves a mention.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2003, 08:28:30 pm »

Rock is just a baby the blues had.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2003, 08:37:00 pm »

Electronic has been added in place of "show tunes" (which was basically a gag anyway).
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2003, 09:16:00 pm »

I like the grateful dead, bagpipe music (mostly highland pipes), folk tunes, classic rock (if that means more grateful dead and hendrix and zepelin and beetles) and rap, and classical, and blues, and jazz, and techno, and 80's music, and rock, and country (as long as it is willy nelson), and metal, and alot of other things, BUT ONLY IF ITS GOOD.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2003, 10:33:54 pm »

I chose electronic considering I've been searching out more german electronic pop and some synthpop.

I also like indie rock/pop, new wave, britrock, some punk/emocore, etcetc.
I'll listen to anything that's good really, but those are the basics
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2003, 02:14:36 am »

Yeah, what about jazz.  Or bluegrass.  I listen to a lot of those.

Also, mostly classic rock type stuff.  Grateful Dead (thus the name), Zappa, Floyd, Hendrix, Dylan, Procul Harem, Little Feat.  The ususal suspects.

There was an Onion story which I am too lazy to search for, about a guy whose cultural clock stopped ticking in 1989.  Sometimes I feel like I'm that guy, at least musically.  Which sucks.  

Around here on the radio its either Classic Rock (Eagles, Arrowsmith, the same few Zeppelin and Floyd tunes, Van Halen) or bad new Rock or very very very bad Pop.  Thanks CLEAR CHANNEL!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2003, 02:31:05 am »

I know what you mean about being stuck pre '89. I was the same. Still am mostly, except since I found the Desert stuff, that brought me up to date a good deal! In one genre...
Man I wish I could list all the music I like, but since music is about the most important thing in my life there's just too much of it to mention and if I try I leave too many out and feel bad about that.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2003, 03:15:11 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

There was an Onion story which I am too lazy to search for, about a guy whose cultural clock stopped ticking in 1989.  Sometimes I feel like I'm that guy, at least musically.


'89?  Dang, that's the new stuff.  

I like classic Zepplin, Seger, Joplin, Hendrix, ZZ Top, CCR, and Stevie Ray.  (Talk about some BLUES -- Stevie Ray's the best of all possible worlds.)  I'm also into Mark Knopfler/Dire Straights; I think he and Neal Peart are at least in the top five when it comes to lyricists.  And then there's all that late '70's/early '80's glam stuff -- Joan Jett, Heart, Queen, etc.  There's a special place in my heart for that because it was the first real rock I ever heard -- I was in preschool at the time and I instantly fell in love with my older brother's Foreigner tapes.  

'Stad forbid, I even like The Clash.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up