Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My new web comic you will want to read  (Read 5171 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Oz!

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
    • http://OZONTHEINTERNET.COM
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 02:58:10 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I was going to post something about (...)  the sadness of Oz's life


I believe that's MY speciality!
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 05:42:46 pm »

It's tiring to read because there are too many words. I don't know if it's funny, I can't get to the end of any of them.

It's hard to look at because the drawings are kind of crude and the proportions are off in  a way that makes them all look kind of deformed.

HOWEVER

Good on you for putting it out there, that's more than I have done.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 06:24:45 pm »

Quote from: "Oz!"

I think a lack of brevity is a pretty fair criticism. I would like to improve on that! I don't know James Thurber or Ratt, sorry!


Get drunk and read Hemingway passages into a tape recorder. Then record yourself paraphrasing what happened in those passages. Listen and compare when sober. Repeat until your drunk self is succinct. If you can do it drunk, you can do it sober.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 07:04:35 pm »

Quote from: "Oz!"


I think a lack of brevity is a pretty fair criticism. I would like to improve on that! I don't know James Thurber or Ratt, sorry!


I would recommend a little Thurber. Writing is pretty funny and a lot of it doesn't get too dated - comedic writing is especially subject to that - plus, he went to Ohio State so how can you go wrong?

Clicky Here
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 08:29:41 pm »

My girlfriend works at Thurber House, James' boyhood home which has now been turned into a museum and literary center.  It's also supposed to be hell of haunted, a belief supported by the first-hand experiences of many people I otherwise trust to be of superior intellect and reason.

Thurber's writing definitely stands up over time.  He also drew cartoons, what like the kind that show up in the New Yorker.  The Algonquin Hotel in NYC uses some of them as wallpaper.

Maybe in 75 years some new boutique hotel will use Oz panels to cover the walls of the halls.





Probably not.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 08:32:32 pm »

Thurber contributed to the New Yorker for over 20 years, I think. He was nearly blind which is why his cartoons look like they do - generally he drew them in thick marker on large sheets of paper because his eyesight was poor.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2005, 11:59:06 pm »

Thurber rawks!

Check out The Day the Dam Burst.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2005, 01:34:47 am »

Oh!  Oh! Is this a suggestion for our book club?

Also, Oz gets the Polyanna award for August.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2005, 01:59:13 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
Oh!  Oh! Is this a suggestion for our book club?

Also, Oz gets the Polyanna award for August.


Well, The Day the Dam Burst is a short story, like most of Thurber's work, so I don't know how well it would work.  Also, I'm about halfway through Geek Love, so if we do put it (or a collection of Thurber) on the list, let's make it for October.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Oz!

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
    • http://OZONTHEINTERNET.COM
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2005, 08:52:31 am »

Thanks for the Thurber information!

Quote from: "side_show"
Also, Oz gets the Polyanna award for August.


Sorry, I am also unfamiliar with this expression. Judging by my google research, you could mean:
a) I am trying to make everyone else happy
b) I am myself unjustifiably happy

I would accept the charge of a), but not so much b). Still, thank you for the award!
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2005, 03:04:16 pm »

I meant a) my friend, definitly a).
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2005, 07:26:27 pm »

You definitely get mad points for being cheerful about all of this (and actually showing back up), Oz!. This is rather classier than most people who make their first posts comic ads can manage.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2005, 07:30:56 pm »

i am transfixed in a startling manner.

extraordinarily startling.

someone,
help me.
please.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2005, 08:53:00 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
i am transfixed in a startling manner.

extraordinarily startling.

someone,
help me.
please.

Here, stare at this for a while.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
My new web comic you will want to read
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2005, 08:56:22 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "arkabee"
i am transfixed in a startling manner.

extraordinarily startling.

someone,
help me.
please.

Here, stare at this for a while.

Okay, I'm confused. Which of those guys is doing the move on the other? It seems like nobody involved is really coming out of it well.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up