Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Stultifying compositions of Edvard Grieg-August 31, 2004  (Read 6746 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
The Stultifying compositions of Edvard Grieg-August 31, 2004
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2005, 03:18:57 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
Well, I think the reason we enjoyed bugging him was that he was a good friend of ours, and basically an all 'roung nice guy, then he was the good friend of ours who denied the fact he was balding by wearing a black giraffeing hat (which we all politely ignored, as friends do), then he became our friend who started wearing all black, and the giraffeing hat (which we curiously asked about, and got angry defensive answers to) .  Then he started wearing the fitted fangs he was very happy to reveal he had spent over an hundred dollars on (which we all express the same sort of doubt/concern about the common sense of doing)  - it was at the least exhausting to have to explain why we were hanging out with someone who looked like a bloated corpse, and, at the most, sort of embarassing to be seen with him.  Then he got red contact lenses that made him look like a cat, and well, we just had to laugh.  How can you have an every day work conversation with someone with red contacts and fangs?  It's just not possible.  

We all worked together in very tight quarters, had to work together every day... It was a weird and gradual transition.  So since we couldn't talk sense into him, the only behaviour that allowed us to relieve tension and still not ignore the elephant in the room was to laugh at him, with him, at us...  I mean how do you deal with your 20 year old friend becoming a pseudo-vampire?  Passive-arresively laughing at him was a lot less tense than the "what the fuck, man?  I mean what the fuck?" desire-to-scream-at-him-type feeling that we all we really starting to feel.


That's it. I'm goin' into the Arts.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The Stultifying compositions of Edvard Grieg-August 31, 2004
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2005, 04:02:53 am »

For further encouragement to pursue an arts career:

I told the set designer of the play I'm directing right now that I wanted a "black box feel" for the set  - aka, basically no set.  I thought I was making both her life and my life simpler, since she is designing sets for five other shows for the same festival.  Instead, aparently she totally freaked out.  I just came back from an hour long meeting which was called because of this, with the artistic director of the theatre, another director, the designer and myself. I sat and listened for 45 minutes as she basically repeated the same vague idea over and over again without making anything any less vague (she wants to create a back drop, but she's not sure what she wants to put on this back drop), and her asking me again and again if this idea "might be possible."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
The Stultifying compositions of Edvard Grieg-August 31, 2004
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2005, 04:41:50 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
Well, I think the reason we enjoyed bugging him was that he was a good friend of ours, and basically an all 'roung nice guy, then he was the good friend of ours who denied the fact he was balding by wearing a black giraffeing hat (which we all politely ignored, as friends do), then he became our friend who started wearing all black, and the giraffeing hat (which we curiously asked about, and got angry defensive answers to)


Oh my GOD.  IT'S ME.

I mean, except for the fat and balding part, and being a goth.  And the hat.  And reading neon stickers.   And being angry and defensive.  And the black clothes.   Other than that it's like looking in a mirror.  A mirror of EVIL!

I've got the evil part.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Stultifying compositions of Edvard Grieg-August 31, 2004
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2005, 04:44:19 am »

ah, that's the beauty of it.  crazy people complicate your life whether you're an avant-garde stage director, a C.P.A. or a dang ol' telemarketer.

fuck*ng CRAZY PEOPLE!  they mess everything up.

Please tell me how to know when I've crossed the line and become a crazy person.  Thank you very much.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
The Stultifying compositions of Edvard Grieg-August 31, 2004
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2005, 04:48:27 am »

Hi.  I'm Joe Beets.  Say, what does a returned and deceased war veteran have for that free mule and that pound of sugar?  Well, think a moment.  Then take off your shoes.

FOR INDUSTRY!

Fun fact:  There was once a band called Shoes for Industry.  I've got their 45 around somewhere.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up