Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05  (Read 5695 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« on: September 07, 2005, 07:54:45 am »

It's funny 'cause it's true.
I have worn a goatee before but weighing in at just under ten stone I don't think it qualifies. I did think I looked like a god-damned musketeer though.

Edit: I weigh just under ten stone, not the beard.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 09:28:14 am »

<under> ten stone?

I wrestled 145 and once,  155 in 8th grade.

<-- would qualify for the bloatee at 13.9 stone except that I'm actually in even better shape than when I posted that stuff from that healthpass lady.

I do sport a goatee though.
Logged

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 09:30:04 am »

Ray does something, Roast Beef says something, they argue, etc.
Logged

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 10:19:38 am »

achewood just keeps getting more and more pop culturey and sarcastic

i liked roast beef better when he was socially inept and shy and constantly depressed. now he's just kind of a witty asshole that talks funny

and ray ! he used to be pretty smart, but hopelessly naive. now he's just a silly idiot

and pat was this kind of overbearing nerd that took things waaay too seriously. now he's just an insane asshole for no reason

it's like all the characters have gone from subtle and charming to bad sitcom-ish cliches

sigh

i think achewood is still really funny but it's not all winsome and strange and endearing like it used to be. i never think about for more than five minutes after reading it

i actually thought today's strip was pretty good, 'bloatees' are embarrassing to even think about

sorry about all the adjectives
Logged

James

  • Guest
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 11:19:26 am »

I don't know how anyone could be mad a strip containing the line "that thing is so hell of wispy a spider covets".
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 12:05:40 pm »

I haven't been around long enough to know whether I agree with Noah totally or not but I do spend much less time enjoying the strip than I used to.

That said I do love OH HOW THE PEOPLE WILL MARCH! There's a funny mental image there somewhere.

I also hate goatees. Goatees are what happens when people forget to shave for a couple days and someone calls them on it. You lie and then you have to follow through.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 12:59:14 pm »

Quote from: "mudokon"
Ray does something, Roast Beef says something, they argue, etc.


You have a problem with this?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 01:15:25 pm »

So did anybody else have to put "10 stone" into the Google calculator to find out how much that weighs?
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 01:29:01 pm »

It's the equivalent of one small American child.
Basically, I ain't a dude of gravity.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 02:05:18 pm »

As a man of gravity, I stand by my bloatee.  But then, as previously mentioned, I'm all about the hair

Beefs spider comment really made this one for me.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 02:20:05 pm »

I sent "bloatee" to urbandictionary - I'm currently awaiting the completion of their review process. I'll post the link here once that's complete.
Logged

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 02:22:30 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
So did anybody else have to put "10 stone" into the Google calculator to find out how much that weighs?


Yes.  What the hell, people.

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 03:03:17 pm »

People outside of the US have quaint and beguiling customs.
Catch up!
(FYI, one "stone" is fourteen "pounds". Although a pound is also a unit of currency that can be also called a "quid". Thanks).
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 03:16:13 pm »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
As a man of gravity, I stand by my bloatee.  


Me too.  18.5 stone, baybee!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 03:53:43 pm »

Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
I do spend much less time enjoying the strip than I used to.


Now, now.  The bloatee is a phenomenon that needed to be recognized, and also dealt with.  Thank you to Onstad for picking up on this.  And it's a clever term, to boot.  

Plus: "the gossamer bloatee"  that is brilliant.

Finally, the bickering between Roast Beef and Ray is very charming and also revealing.  It's just about the only time that Beef shows cojones and can speak frankly.  He is so comfortable with Ray that he can rip on him, even though he is cowed by much of the rest of the world.

High marks all around.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up