Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05  (Read 5670 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 04:07:11 pm »

I remember George Carlin bitching about improperly trimmed beards on guys with fat necks but this is the first I've encountered the concept with goatees.

And for some reason I almost typed ghoti but I know that's giraffe.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 04:09:29 pm »

Quote from: "MSC"
Finally, the bickering between Roast Beef and Ray is very charming and also revealing.  It's just about the only time that Beef shows cojones and can speak frankly.  He is so comfortable with Ray that he can rip on him, even though he is cowed by much of the rest of the world.

I was just about to post this. I find it the most interesting part of their dynamic, really -- that Beef is comfortable criticizing Ray's habits despite being cowed by the rest of the world, and that Ray tolerates Beef doing it despite his lack of tolerance for such things from other friends (like, say, Pat). It's interesting.

I have not observed that many bloatees, but I go to a hopelessly preppy college where there are not many dudes of gravity. I suspect once I get to grad school I will be able to observe this phenomenon in greater detail.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 04:26:54 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I find it the most interesting part of their dynamic, really -- that Beef is comfortable criticizing Ray's habits despite being cowed by the rest of the world, and that Ray tolerates Beef doing it despite his lack of tolerance for such things from other friends (like, say, Pat). It's interesting.


I've often said that you can tell how good a friend you are to someone by how much abuse you can heap on them with them just taking it. My best friend and I referred to each other as "fucker" and "bitch" for a long time. Also, it shows that Beef considers himself one of a few people who can tell it to Ray like it is - it takes a true friend to point out when you're doing something stupid to your face. Others will just talk shit about you to your mutual friends.
Logged

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2005, 08:29:15 pm »

Logged

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005, 04:31:29 am »

Why is this making Beef so angry? Last panel, looks like he's going to throw down his pamphlet or whatever and storm out!
I wish "cauliflower ass" wasn't floating around in my head. Danged Onstad. Reading Achewood has its price.
Logged
I am older now.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005, 06:36:07 am »

Cauliflower ass sounds like cellulite....do dudes get cellulite?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005, 05:52:11 pm »

See, I was first thinking cauliflower ass was like cauliflower ear - like a subdural hematoma of the ass, from trauma.

Gave a whole new meaning to getting cauliflower ass from three musketeers (although it's more frightening to picture three penisketeers)
(down cubby! down!)
Logged

JordanB

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2005, 01:14:57 am »

This strip reminded me a lot of another, funnier one:

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11012004

Were it not for the line: "Dogg I cannot brook the gossamer bloatee" this strip would not have lived up to the one just linked to.

Also note that Ray is persuaded by Téodor, but not by Beef.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Welcome to the bloatee! - 07/09/05
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2005, 01:36:16 am »

Dammit, I hate it when someone post a link to a former strip that points out how recent strips suck by comparison.

Not really, but damn, that similar strip from a year ago is way funnier than today's strip.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up