Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Earworms  (Read 11810 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Earworms
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 06:00:44 am »

When I was a kid my dad used to sing the melodies of "Yankee Doodle Dandy" and "I've Been Working On The Railroad" with their lyrics being completely interchangeable.  They work both ways.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Earworms
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 06:25:27 am »

Caramel is sweet,
And peanutbutter's funny,
Pretzels are (just salty?)
And peanuts are just nutty.

Wrap it up in chocolate,
It's salty and it's sweet,
It all comes together to
knock you off your feet!

Max Five!
One more than four!
Max Five!  
Go all the way to
Max Five!
'Cause more is more,
Max Five.

Oooh peanuts are nutty!  I never knew that.  Brilliant.  Oh, and five is one more than four.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.  

fuck*ng comercial.

It was on just after my last post and the stupid jingle is again stuck in my head.

I swear that with the above listed ingredients that they must have made a candy bar out of the random floor sweepings from the other food products they manufacture, and they're trying really damn hard to sell it, since the costs are so much lower for floor sweepings, and "hell the shit's just lying on the floor anyway, so why not sell it?"  I never want to eat this candy bar.  Max Five is floor sweepings, people!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Earworms
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 08:53:09 am »

I often have the tune of "Do you know the way to San Jose" in my head, but unfortunately it's the version from the eBay commercials with that weird lady (her eyebrows go vertical!).  It hurts my brain.

The other song living in my head is "Life is an open road," by either Jon Bon Jovi or Bryan Adams (is there a difference?) and used to promote Sportscenter's 50 states in 50 days event thingy.  All I have heard is one verse and what seems to be about 10 seconds of the bridge, so that's all I get to repeat in my head.

"Seasons in the Sun" is a common occurance as well, but since I don't own it in any form and haven't heard it in its entirety ever, all I get is the chorus, which then leads directly into "It's magic," because that's what came next in the damn commercial.  So maybe 10 seconds in total.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Earworms
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2005, 01:08:20 pm »

You gotta eat. Tell me who do you think you are. You won't get far unless you eat.

Where the hell are these restaurants hiding? Do they even exist? What kind of messed up advertising campaign wastes money in markets where your product is not available?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Earworms
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 01:54:33 pm »

You don't know from earworms until you've endured modern children's TV.

Come on vamonos
Everybody let's go
Come on let's get to it
I know that we can do it!



Fruit salad, yummy yummy
Fruit salad, yummy yummy
Fruit salad, yummy yummy
Fruit salad, yummy yummy
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Earworms
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2005, 03:10:50 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
You don't know from earworms until you've endured modern children's TV.

I had a Chemistry professor last semester with two very young children. Sing-a-longs were a fairly common occurrence in this course, and the biggest subject of it was the "Hot Potato" song from "The Wiggles." Now I understand why; he was desperately hoping to transfer that motherfucker. Hot potato, indeed.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Earworms
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2005, 08:14:08 pm »

Barney is a dinosaur
from our imagination.....
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Earworms
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2005, 10:23:44 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I had a Chemistry professor last semester with two very young children. Sing-a-longs were a fairly common occurrence in this course....


You had sing alongs in your Chemisty class?  Please provide details as to how this went down.  Were his kids there with him, and you had to pacify them by singing, or did your Prof make all his students sing songs about class topics, or something?  I'm facinated.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Earworms
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2005, 11:10:57 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I had a Chemistry professor last semester with two very young children. Sing-a-longs were a fairly common occurrence in this course....


You had sing alongs in your Chemisty class?  Please provide details as to how this went down.  Were his kids there with him, and you had to pacify them by singing, or did your Prof make all his students sing songs about class topics, or something?  I'm facinated.

*ahem* Prepare for thread derailment:

The class was Intro to Orgo, and as such was filled with frosh and sophomores, most of whom were very nervous about it and uncomfortable taking a class that has a (well-earned) reputation for difficulty. Because of this, the prof did everything in his power to make it a fun course. The major mechanism of this was what he called "30-Second Fun Breaks," where midway through class, we would stop, do something totally non-sequiturish, and then get back to lecture. It really did help to break the tension.

The prof was sort of music-y, so a frequent topic for these breaks was a song of some sort or another. This resulted in the class learning a number of fascinating musical things, ranging from "Hot Potato" to Duran Duran ("so there was this song when I was in high school with the worst lyrics ever..."). At one point we were even taught, as a class, the Gabba Gabba Hey!. It was pretty rad.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Earworms
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2005, 12:22:53 am »

Wow.  If I had a prof like that, I might have actually enjoyed taking my one science requirement.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Earworms
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2005, 01:01:48 pm »

I once had the theme song to The $25,000 Pyramid stuck in my head for almost a week. It took surgery to remove it.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Earworms
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2005, 04:29:25 am »

I had that same problem with "Tijuana Taxi"
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Earworms
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2005, 06:53:44 pm »

Down by the baaaay
Where the watermelons groooow
Back to my hoooome
I dare not gooooo
For if I dooooo
My mother would saaaay
Did you ever see
[insert rhyming couplet]*
Down by the bay!

This is a Raffi song.  I am sick to death of singing it, but it works like magic on my baby.

* a whale with a polka-dot tail, a fly wearing a tie, a bear combing his hair, a moose kissing a goose, llamas eating their pajamas
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Earworms
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2005, 08:39:12 pm »

A terrible remembered earworm from class yesterday: "The Humpty Dance." Usually the whole fuck*ng thing. Oh my Christ someone on the Digital Underground needs to be killed messily.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Earworms
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2005, 08:50:08 pm »

Children's songs in general seem to make good (bad?) earworms.  There are songs I remember in their entirety from twenty years ago that occasionally stick in my brain, and yet I can't remember my current phone number without serious effort.

I'm not sure which is more disappointing to me: the fact that I remember the tune to the "sixes" times table record we listened to in second grade, 22 years ago, or the fact that it still springs to mind unbidden when I'm doing math in my head, like the alphabet song.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up