Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 2680 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Podcasts
« on: September 08, 2005, 09:41:35 pm »

Hey Kids,

I'm thinking of starting up a podcast for my poetry archives site but I'm new to even listening to podcasts myself, and am wondering what you like or don't like in other people's podcasts.

I think I like the ones that seem more like audio blogs than I do those that are like radio shows or talk radio, but I'm curious to know if you prefer off the cuff ramblings, well-produced slick shows with music and *ahem* sound effects, etc.?

Also, length?  How long is too long or too short?  I think I could come up with 10 minutes a week of actual content, and can probably lengthen that to 15 minutes with padding.  But I'd rather not pad.  I'm just wondering what you feel is a good length to make it worthwhile to download, yet not so long that you wouldn't want to listen to it (assume for the moment that the podcast would be about something you're interested in).

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 09:42:49 pm »

Never listened to one.

Sounds interesting though.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Podcasts
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 11:29:51 pm »

pod...cast...?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Podcasts
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 11:51:09 pm »

I thought you people were geeks!

Yeah, essentially, Adam Curry (the old VJ) coined the term for broadcasts on an iPod (or really any mp3 player, including your pc).  It is basically just an mp3 and an RSS feed telling you where to get it, but you can subscribe to them through iTunes and automatically get the latest "issue" (or whatever they're calling them).

It's pretty cool.  At least, in theory it is.  I've yet to listen to one that I found useful that wasn't just a repackaging of some other radio or television show (like the Ebert & Roeper podcast).

Anyway, I was hoping someone here would have more experience with these things than I do.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Podcasts
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 12:09:18 am »

Quote from: "jough"
It's pretty cool.  At least, in theory it is.  I've yet to listen to one that I found useful that wasn't just a repackaging of some other radio or television show (like the Ebert & Roeper podcast).

I thought that was kind of the point. Like the all-news radio station condense everything you need to worry about into a 20-minute mp3 to listen to on the subway.

Although I know originally they were more for extremely tiny online radio stations this newer format seems to be pretty sucessful.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Podcasts
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 12:28:36 am »

The only word I hate more than "podcast" is "blogosphere".
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Podcasts
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 12:47:12 am »

Yeah, I was going to call them something other than "podcasts" but fuck, that's the term for them that everyone else is using.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Podcasts
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 01:12:49 am »

Pod o sphere.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Podcasts
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 01:16:45 am »

I've never actually heard a podcast, but it sounds like a great idea.  Rather than stretch 10 minutes of  material into 15 with padding, take 10 minutes of good material and condense it down to 5 minutes of gold.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Podcasts
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 03:38:17 am »

You have my approval if you call them "joughcasts".
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Podcasts
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 09:28:35 am »

I actually was baffled about podcasts (I knew they existed, but not how to listen) till last week when I realised I needed to upgrade my iTunes player (I recently got told again to upgrade, speaking of which.. geez) to get the podcasts.

I then listened to a 30+min talk with Twilight Singer's Greg Dulli talking about his new album.  there were clips of the songs played inbetween.  I rather enjoyed it despite its length.

..so yeah, if there were some put up, perhaps I'd tune in now and then.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Podcasts
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 01:03:28 pm »

I have listened to a few podcasts, and my highest ranking problem with them is that people seem to tend to sound rather pathetic and... nerdy on them.
So if you can avoid that all will be well.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Podcasts
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 05:03:50 pm »

I don't think I can avoid sounding pathetic and nerdy, but I have now learned how to delete pauses (longish ones) and "ums" from my recordings using Audacity so I think I can at least keep my podcasts tight and fast-moving through planning and editing which seems to be the hallmark of good podcasts more than anything.

Also, five to ten minutes seems more than long enough for a one-man podcast.  And other people that I polled about this said that they like podcasts with regular segments, and sometimes will skip to only those segments that they like each week.

I'll see how it goes.  I think I could spend an hour or two a week working on a five minute internet radio show that people could download.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Podcasts
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 06:13:38 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

Yeah, essentially, Adam Curry (the old VJ) coined the term


ahhhhh hahhahhahha, ha.

that explains so much,
about me,
about them,
about life.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Podcasts
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 06:36:09 pm »

Yeah, he still wears a satin baseball jacket everywhere he goes.

However, even though Curry is pretty much cheesy, his podcasts are AWESOME.  Well-produced, he's a fuck*ng PRO at riffing off the cuff, and the content is even very good.  You can check them out through the iTunes Music Store (it's free to listen to most podcasts).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up