Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.  (Read 9381 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 08:04:47 pm »

Trust me, some people having kids causes the world dismay and others not breeding causes rejoicing.
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 09:33:58 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I think what really gets me about the strip is the "Gift Annex" kicker in which we reveal that Pat, while careful to make children feel Unwelcome, he's more than happy to profit off of their presence.

Also, there's one of those tiny bubbling treasure chests in Pat's aquarium. Oh man, I love those things.


Agreed and agreed.

I like this strip.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 10:18:20 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm told that I wasn't even willing to put up with children when I was myself a child. Of course everybody tells me "that will change once you get married." Way to insinuate that my fiancee, who you've never met, is a huge manipulative lying bitch.

And here I always just figured that meant "once you're in some kind of nesting mode your biological imperative to spew forth genes into the pool will kick in" when people said it. Not that this is necessarily true, but I certainly never saw it as being intended as a defamation of character.

It depends on who's saying. I told one person at work said that the SO doesn't want kids either and she said, "oh that's what she says now but once you get married she'll change that tune right away." Implying the SO was either saying what I wanted to hear or is a flake.

The gift shop reminds me of the time that Pat made Beef rent a video from him.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2005, 10:35:48 pm »

V - yes my intro was a little confusing, I called the child evil because any child not properly managed by their adult guardien is evil as far as I'm concerned.  Just like I tend to refer to my SO's uncle's dogs as evil not because they are malevolent, but because they've never been taught proper obedience.

Yeah... I was already embarassed for hijacking the thread for my silly story anyway.  I'll shut up now.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 10:49:18 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Yeah... I was already embarassed for hijacking the thread for my silly story anyway.  I'll shut up now.


This board would suck if you didn't hijack the occasional thread with a silly story. Otherkin, fat goths, Briliant swamp-dwellers - we love 'em all.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2005, 11:47:18 pm »

"INITIAL AND CONTINUE___"

That makes this for me. It really does. It's not enough that I fax you a document for sending a child to view my aquarium. You must read it and prove that you read every page of it.

The fact that he also needs to include his personal feelings on children (see 9b.1) is great too.

It looks like he's already got the document on hand. He just has to get it together. He's pulling it out of his portfolio. That too is great. Overall I think this is the best Pat strip yet.

Also there is nothing wrong with spelling it mould.
http://www.answers.com/mould
Logged

Download-This

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2005, 01:43:14 am »

"You told the boy I had an aquarium."
Even my wife, who doesn't read Achewood on a regular basis found this strip hysterical.

Onstad hasn't mentioned it on the main page yet, but Phillipe blogged his experience at Pat's aquarium today.
Aquarium Visit. Sort of.
Logged

Todd

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yamoslair.com
9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2005, 09:41:51 am »

I just had to register to say:

This strip is a great example of why I love Achewood, because the real payoff isn't in the final panel, but rather is stuck unobtrusively where you'd least expect it.

Specifically, it's in the panel where it's made clear that Pat already had the documents authorizing child visits to his aquarium prepared beforehand as part of an extensive internal filing system at his home.

God, that is so Pat.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2005, 02:36:34 pm »

Quote from: "Todd"
I just had to register to say:

This strip is a great example of why I love Achewood, because the real payoff isn't in the final panel, but rather is stuck unobtrusively where you'd least expect it.

Specifically, it's in the panel where it's made clear that Pat already had the documents authorizing child visits to his aquarium prepared beforehand as part of an extensive internal filing system at his home.

God, that is so Pat.

You know? You're entirely right. That's perfect.

Also, welcome.
Logged

takethemoneyandRUN

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2005, 08:07:34 pm »

Quote from: "Download-This"
"You told the boy I had an aquarium."
Even my wife, who doesn't read Achewood on a regular basis found this strip hysterical.

Onstad hasn't mentioned it on the main page yet, but Phillipe blogged his experience at Pat's aquarium today.
Aquarium Visit. Sort of.


Ha, hey DT.
Logged

Islikemoxie!

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2005, 12:46:43 pm »

I like the fact, that David Starr Jordanīs The Genera of giraffees and A Classification of giraffees sits open on the mini-lectern, ONLY during daytime hours - Naturally the Asshole sees fit to lock it up in a vault during nighttime.
Logged
"God dammit Krystle! I needed that pipeline!"

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2006, 08:07:27 pm »

Hi everyone, long-time reader, first-time poster,

I thought I'd comment on this cartoon because, as I am an ichthyologist, it happens to be one of my favourite ever Achewoods.  To an ichthyologist, much of the brilliance lies in the fact that the reference Pat has made available to visitors is David Starr Jordan's The Genera of giraffees and a Classification of giraffees.  This book happens to be nothing more than a listing of every giraffe genus named and published up to the time the book was published in 1917; in short, it's a technical volume, of use to taxonomists, but giving absolutely no information that a casual aquarium visitor could possibly want.  Now there are two possible explanations for this:

1. Onstad wasn't aware of the content of the book, but just went searching for an ichthyological volume that sounded like something Pat would have on hand.  Now it's cool enough that Onstad would go to the trouble of finding a real ichthyological reference rather than making one up, but I prefer the alternative explanation:

2. Onstad is fully aware of the contents of The Genera of giraffees and a Classification of giraffees.  Pat is the sort of dick who thinks that who first described the giraffe in his aquarium, and when, is the only kind of information anyone could possibly want to know, and that things like where they're from, what they eat, etc. are useless trivia.  This is, of course, brilliant.

I apologise if it's not done to resurrect a thread about a more-than-a-year-old cartoon, but I felt that I had to share my rather specialised reaction to it.



Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2006, 08:14:43 pm »

File under: strips I had completely forgotten the existence of, despite their awesomeness.
Logged

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2006, 08:16:30 pm »

Icthyology is always a wild ride, represent.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2006, 08:27:11 pm »

Way to distinguish yourself as an uncrap person with your first post.  Welcome to the board.

I enjoy but know little about icthyology, although I love the word icthyology.  I like to type it, and I like to say it.  I think it would be really fun to be able to tell people I was an icthyologist.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up