Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.  (Read 9366 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 08:40:09 pm »

AB had an icthyologist on Good Eats last night. 

Must be some sort of trend.

Welcome to the boards giraffe-lady!  Don't be a stranger.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 09:01:35 pm »

Holy crap, this is the best thread necromancy in the history of the Internet. I applaud you, Victoria, and hope you'll stay around!
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2006, 09:13:23 pm »

Also, "Waterfield" is a great name for an icthyologist.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2006, 09:32:15 pm »

I will only accept you if that is your real name. That name is beautiful.

actually, scratch that. That fact was delicious. But, is your name at least Victoria? that is a good name.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2006, 10:20:59 pm »

It is cosmic timing to be reminded of this cartoon - I hope I have a locker or something at my new job at the aquarium where I can hang up a copy of it.  Although maybe I should wait and see if they are the sort of people who would find this amusing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2006, 10:34:25 pm »

A great intro indeed. I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Wombat: Hang it and be damned, if they can't feel joy it was never meant to be.
Although... as things go this strip is rather rough chuckles. 'But.... why is he being so horrible to the little otter? Why are you laughing?!'
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2006, 05:26:24 pm »

I like Victoria already. I never thought it would be possible to make such a quality necro-first-post.

Also: tell me a bit about myself, Victoria
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2006, 05:49:13 pm »

Pat is the sort of dick...

I gave you a tiny can because your post was insightful, well-written, and because you called Pat a dick in possibly most casual way ever done on these fora.  Good on you.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2006, 08:36:49 pm »

... But, is your name at least Victoria? that is a good name.

Its a doubly good name for a person whose profession harks back to sunburned, pith-helmeted khaki wearing Englishmen wading around in shallow ponds in Malawi seeking yet another undescribed species of cichlid.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2006, 09:33:03 pm »

I will only accept you if that is your real name. That name is beautiful.

Alas, Victoria Waterfield is only a pseudonym I use on internet fora.  We ichthyologists have to be careful.

You've just earned a 10 post moratorium on 'newbie-hazing' from me.

Thank you!  I will try not to squander it in my nine subsequent posts.

Also: tell me a bit about myself, Victoria

You're definitely not ahi.  It's difficult to be more specific — I'm still only a probationary ichthyologist, you see.

I gave you a tiny can because your post was insightful, well-written, and because you called Pat a dick in possibly most casual way ever done on these fora.  Good on you.

Thank you.  When I figure out the significance of these cans, I'm sure I will be even more grateful.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 09:36:18 pm by Victoria Waterfield »
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2006, 10:12:16 pm »

Thank you.  When I figure out the significance of these cans, I'm sure I will be even more grateful.

Executive summary: the cans are a weird inside joke. Basically, they represent how much, overall, people like your posts -- typically people will give you a can for posting something they like and take away one if they're displeased. They're not terribly meaningful, but they're an overall indicator of whether someone posts quality stuff or not.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2006, 04:15:23 am »

Also, the reason everyone has so few is because we had a Zero Can Day on the third anniversary of the board last month.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2006, 04:44:58 am »

before that, lots of people had obscene numbers of cans. due to craziness, and being awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2006, 06:19:16 am »

Hi everyone, long-time reader, first-time poster,

I thought I'd comment on this cartoon because, as I am an ichthyologist, it happens to be one of my favourite ever Achewoods.  To an ichthyologist, much of the brilliance lies in the fact that the reference Pat has made available to visitors is David Starr Jordan's The Genera of giraffees and a Classification of giraffees. 

I applaud your awesome first post, Victoria -- you get a tiny can of Dr. Pepper! I was too lazy to Google anything about the tome referenced in the strip, and most of the humor that I derived from the strip was from Pat's assholish fax with his aquarium related demands for youth visitors. Learning more about The Genera of giraffees and a Classification of giraffees adds a whole new richness to a strip that, like many others, I had pretty much forgotten about. Plus it's neat to see the world from an icthyologist's point of view. Damn, jough, you were right... that word is hella fun to say.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 9/8/05- 9a: Children and the Aquarium.
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2006, 04:25:43 am »

Victoria, are you out in the middle of the pacific somewhere? I'm looking at your local time stamp on your profile (assuming its correct) and since I don't know if it's AM or PM according to it, you are either in Iceland or Fiji. Since you mentioned Ahi I'm wondering if it's Fiji.



Modification:
Or I just realized that maybe you just didn't change it from Greenwich Mean Time (Zulu Time). Oh well.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 04:30:42 am by AlohaDawg »
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up