Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com  (Read 7584 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« on: August 26, 2003, 02:55:53 pm »

These ‘Dinosaur comics’ are pretty funny. I’d start with the first one. As with many comics, the early strips are best, including some strange but funny postmodern observations on humor and storytelling. They drop off after that, but I was impressed with many of them.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

Ryan

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 09:17:41 pm »

If by "drop off" you mean "become extremely awesome", then I agree!

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 09:33:32 pm »

Quote from: "satchel"
These ‘Dinosaur comics’ are pretty funny.


They don't even exist according to my browser - just show a broken image link icon...

Cue extinction jokes...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 10:16:17 pm »

Yep, extinct in my browser (mozilla firebird) too.  Most distressing.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 02:29:48 am »

Works for me, but they SUCK SIX KINDS OF ASSHOLE.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 03:32:43 am »

I wouldn't put it as bluntly as Jough, but these seem to be dinosaurs exchanging dialog translated word-for-word from English to Japanese to Basque and then back to English. It makes sense, but it makes NO F'inG SENSE if you get my meaning.

That said, the idea of a giant green dinosaur interrupted in his stomping of a log cabin (in a white field with nothing growing, no horizon and white all around) by the realization that he has unknowingly or forgettingly had a homosexual tryst with his former roommate (a UtahRaptor)....well, I guess that is something we all have had to face from time to time.

yeah.

I don't like it either. But god bless the brave soul expressing him/herself. It goes to show you that there is a market for EVERYTHING.

Like this, found at the same site,  for instance: http://www.cafeshops.com/qwantz.4687190
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 06:26:55 am »

IMHO, it's the kind of thing that can be best enjoyed if you only do a handful of strips at a shot. The gag is sort of funny, sort of, but it wears thin after the 20th strip or so of the day.
Logged

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
creator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 02:57:51 pm »

Welcome to Ryan, the strip’s creator.

I disagree with most of the opinions expressed here. The static artwork is a statement itself, part of the aesthetic. The runnings observations on storytelling are ironically broken up by the seemingly banal personal experiences of the characters. But these experiences (for example, an alleged homosexual affair) and the characters’ reactions to them are subtle indictments of dramatic cliches.

The physical structure of the strips are identical because the strips are transcending traditional presentation/interpretation. Their texts and the postmodern self-examinations of the strip are the gist.

It’s not only a comic, but a statement on comics, modern art, and modern life.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

Ryan

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 03:19:16 pm »

Thank you satchel for your excellent observations and kind words!  

I find that people will either be able to accept that the pictures don't change, or they won't.  If they do, there's suddenly this running joke that they're let in on, where they know the pictures don't change, but the characters don't - and they can play with that.   A good time is had by all!

But if they don't, then they tend to think things like "sucks six kinds of ass" (which is a pretty awesome way to describe something sucking, I must admit).

Actually I am a little surprised that more people here don't like it - I would have thought the people who like Achewood would have a better chance of liking my comics?

Ryan

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 03:32:44 pm »

Actually, wait - he said "six kinds of assHOLE".

That's just crass!

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2003, 03:55:02 pm »

I quite liked the few I've looked at so far. I thought the dialogue was amusing, well written and such. It had good meter to it, might be because I like Japanese fiction!?
What I have a slight problem with is the lack (to me) of emotion and characterisation allowed by the art style, but it may just be me.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2003, 04:19:46 pm »

I like these comics.  They are extremely awesome.  

Ryan, you have my blessing.

Edit: SHIT!  I just realized that I've read thirty strips without checking the alt text!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Ryan

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2003, 05:08:59 pm »

Wait till she realizes what happens when you click the "comments" link!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2003, 06:15:41 pm »

Ryan, I retract my earlier statement.

I found myself going back and reading more than the first five of them.  And they get progressively better as you get past the obvious jokes and find your groove.

I haven't read all of the archives, but that you've made a new strip consistently every day and that many of them are better than Onstad's "Variety Hour" makes me have to give you at least a half-hearted "thumbs sideways".

As a fan (perhaps "fan" isn't the right word) of postmodernism and social engineering, I must applaud your efforts - especially your stamina.

And I'm sure the ladies do, too. ;)

So I amend my statement to say that these strips only suck 3 1/2 kinds of ass.

-- Jough

V-Adore

  • Guest
Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2003, 07:02:32 pm »

To amend my earlier statement: although I find the repetition tiresome in long-haul reading, this is really only a problem going through the archives and presumably is fine if you're reading one strip a day, as God intended.

Also, I really can't say anything bad about a strip that contains dinosaurs talking about Discrete Math. That's just plain LEGIT.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up