Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: wine? (16sept05)  (Read 7996 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 05:30:06 pm »

I, too, am having a good time watching Ray not be suave and Ray-ish. I like seeing that there are still things entirely beyond his ken.

Yet another beloved detail about this strip: CH's notecard monogram. He does this right.
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 05:39:31 pm »

Was there water in the glass in the beginning? And CH's Miracle Bottle turned it into wine? Where have I heard this story before?...

Oh, and sorry I didn't say Hi everyone in my first post. Hi everyone!
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 06:57:03 pm »

Re: Ray's glass: That's not water.  It's just the articulation of the glass.  Light going through it makes lines.

Re: The previous strip: CH is already drinking wine out of his own glass.  The one in today's strip is Ray's glass.  Which is different.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

JordanB

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 07:20:34 pm »

My first response to this arc is a quite plausible,
if somewhat oversimplified guess as to
what this Cartilage Head fellow is about...





Lie Bot!
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 07:26:20 pm »

Quote from: "JordanB"
My first response to this arc is a quite plausible,
if somewhat oversimplified guess as to
what this Cartilage Head fellow is about...





Lie Bot!


I like this arc a lot, so I will be very pissed if we get a Liebot copout.

I am feeling a little more at ease about Cartilage Head. He is either going to turn out to be a nice guy, or this is going to get really fucked up before the end. Either way, keep it coming, Onstad.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 07:43:26 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
Re: Ray's glass: That's not water.  It's just the articulation of the glass.  Light going through it makes lines.


That's true of today's strip, but yesterday's obviously contains a small amount of something dark, which Ray could have drank between strips.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 10:03:58 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Re: Ray's glass: That's not water.  It's just the articulation of the glass.  Light going through it makes lines.


That's true of today's strip, but yesterday's obviously contains a small amount of something dark, which Ray could have drank between strips.


Looks like maybe CH was enjoying a glass (does he enjoy?) before Ray got there.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 11:01:23 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
Re: Ray's glass: That's not water.  It's just the articulation of the glass.  Light going through it makes lines.


OK, so there's no Jesus thing going on here. Phew. I was already thinking CH was constantly weeping over our sins or something.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Suckin_Dick

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 11:04:34 pm »

i think we're dodging the central issue at hand here, which is that, "how would one come up with the concept of a creature whose head is made completely of cartilage in the first place?"

seriously, onstad proves that he is either freaky creative or just on a lot of drugs, which is a very bad example for the baby.


Quote
baby update: The baby swung upside down from the ceiling attached by a thin strand of hope to the naked gorilla with the pan of butter.


possibly?
Logged
suckin dick bought this van.

Skillator

  • Guest
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 11:49:21 pm »

I wonder if CH's head makes popping noises like knuckles.

I hope so because I want to punch him in the head repeatedly and make popping sounds... Seriously... Cartilage head gets me so mad. His dancing was nice but now the creepy guy thing who doesn't get alt text is just boring.

I wish he would go away and hang out with Trouble man and no-no and never come back. You may not see why I don't like him... but then, I don't see why you do.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2005, 02:50:53 am »

I don't think it's that we like CH per se.  None of us are aching to go have dinner with him (I'd prefer Nightlife Mingus, I think).  I think we like CH for what he makes the strip -- intriguing, surreal and not gag driven.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2005, 03:23:56 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I don't think it's that we like CH per se.  None of us are aching to go have dinner with him (I'd prefer Nightlife Mingus, I think).  I think we like CH for what he makes the strip -- intriguing, surreal and not gag driven.

Put better than I could have.

Yes, a lot of Achewood strips have been gags, and many of them have been very good gags. However, I would argue that the strip is at its best when it has a fascinating edge of melancholia and strangeness. That, and the art is gorgeous.
Logged

JordanB

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2005, 03:57:01 am »

Quote from: "Suckin_Dick"
i think we're dodging the central issue at hand here, which is that, "how would one come up with the concept of a creature whose head is made completely of cartilage in the first place?"


When babies are first born, the bones of their head
are not fused together and are thus extremely malleable.
Not like cartilage, exactly, but not nearly as solid as adult heads.
(I have a friend who has a vague but noticable crease
down the middle of his forehead, precisely because,
well, I forget how the story goes, but he got it because
of the fact that babies' heads aren't very solid.)

Maybe having a new baby had a part in the creation of CH.
But more likely I just pulled that explanation out my ass.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2005, 05:36:17 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I don't think it's that we like CH per se.  None of us are aching to go have dinner with him (I'd prefer Nightlife Mingus, I think).  I think we like CH for what he makes the strip -- intriguing, surreal and not gag driven.

Put better than I could have.


Gosh. Thanks.

Quote
Yes, a lot of Achewood strips have been gags, and many of them have been very good gags. However, I would argue that the strip is at its best when it has a fascinating edge of melancholia and strangeness. That, and the art is gorgeous.


Don't get me wrong.  I love gags.  Gags are great and Onstad does gags well.  But CH gives me goosebumps and reminds me of Dr. Lao.  CH makes me laugh and cry at the same time.  CH makes me highly respectful and deeply jealous.

I'm glad Onstad doesn't make this stuff all the time.  I'm afraid we'd get jaded and not appreciate it for what it is.  Bravo.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

filas

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
    • View Profile
wine? (16sept05)
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2005, 08:26:21 am »

i like the progression too, doods; in each strip ray gets more CH than he was comfortable with.  that's sort of CH's thing, and ray is getting a lot of it.  
from sitting in the audience, to going to dinner, to sitting at the table, to drinking weirdo wine.  
each time there is more CH to deal with a little closer.   back up, softie!  
ray could have said "no" to going and "no" to dinner, and he wouldn't have to really disappoint CH, but for the wine CH looks at ray like it'll hurt CH's feelings if ray turns it down.  

also i like that the CH cards carried over.  it makes sense to get a message on a card in the audience, b/c the performer can't talk at that moment, but CH uses a card to offer wine face to cartilage.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up