Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20  (Read 7445 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2005, 05:15:53 pm »

Oh man... I am SO glad I waited until I got home from work to read this, as opposed to reading it at 3:30 in the morning.

I'm leaning towards the "him dead" theory at the moment, although it's certainly plausible that it's a performance piece. It just seems like it wouldn't be the "GRAND FINALE" otherwise.

My summary: Budd Dwyer, as recreated by Tim Burton. And it gives me the jibblies.
Logged

James

  • Guest
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 05:18:38 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I think you sychophants overlook the fact that this entire arc was probably motivated by Onstad looking up 'scream' in Google's Image Search. Within the first ten results are:

MOVIE SCREAM

and

PAINTING SCREAM

But... the movie Scream guy is already a reference to the painting Scream guy. They're not two seperate things (sorry this was just bugging me).
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2005, 06:23:52 pm »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
I am fully amazed at how this made me sad. Why am I sad for Cartilage Head? Why!?


God, same here.

P.S.- Hi, all! I'm not actually dead! I'm just unemployed, not in school and living in a roach-infested apartment in a neighborhood where everyone hates me. So it's like being dead, only it's just my soul. Hopefully I'll convince Time Warner to let me pay them for internet (they're still not convinced that I'm "good people"), so I might be online as soon as next week, or possibly the heat-death of the sun.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2005, 06:57:25 pm »

Something else that I've noticed that tends to convince me more that this was a planned moment instead of an accident... in the sixth panel, CH is making a facial expression closer to smiling than anything seen in the previous days.

The pupils disappearing from his eyes post-snap is an excellent touch, too.
Logged

safety_otter

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 07:40:29 pm »

Long time lurker,

I loved CH enough to make an avatar and make an account here ;)

(I don't have anything else to contribute, sorry.)
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2005, 08:33:34 pm »

Welcome, safety_otter. That's the best avatar I've seen in a long time.

Also, my sympathies, Bozack, and my hope that things manage to work out.
Logged

Silverberg

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
    • View Profile
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2005, 09:22:21 pm »

CH's look of joy in panels five and six is quite possibly the most chilling and wonderful part of this arc yet. Goddamn. Awesome.
Logged

Polka

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2005, 09:27:04 pm »

I empathize with CH so bad I want to be him.
Logged

Emory

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://envisibility.net/
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2005, 10:23:51 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
this arc was lot's of slooooooow and steady buildup, like the good love making.

and then, poot.

it's done.

boo to that.

you take a day off to finish a story arc about a pair of talking shoe brothers, but you rush the end of your singular macabre masterpiece?



I doubt that this is the end of this particular story-line. 'Grand Finale' might refer more to CH's performance, not the story. Onstad leaves the end wide open. Perhaps Ray will take his car... He's been known to do things of that sort.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2005, 10:42:02 pm »

This is the best thing that I could have ever hoped for...
Cartilage Head's creepy parlor trick backfires and now he is fuck*ng dead. That is so awesome.

This story was totally worth the pay-off. This painful storyline totally just brought teh funnay and that is great.
Logged

bonaparte

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 35
    • View Profile
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2005, 12:27:52 am »

poor CH.  i'm thinking this is his final performance and he selected ray because he knew only such a discriminating fella could appreciate it for what it truly is.  he's smiling in panels five and six because he knows the end is near, the sweet release of death from his carnival freakshow existence.  it reminds one of kafka's "the hunger artist"
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2005, 01:05:34 am »

Quote from: "Polka"
I empathize with CH so bad I want to be him.


You win!
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2005, 02:28:27 am »

Quote from: "Polka"
I empathize with CH so bad I want to be him.


how did you do that.

why did you do that.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Todd

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yamoslair.com
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2005, 02:57:04 am »

I am really, REALLY sad that Cartilage Head died that way.

Seriously, seeing that totally ruined my entire day.  It's tragic.   :cry:

You think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

-Libbie
Logged

Boring K

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/sleeping_machine
SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2005, 04:05:03 am »

Call me cynical, but I don't think CH is dead.  Someone (something?) like that couldn't go so easily.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up