Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!  (Read 10688 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2005, 08:06:41 pm »

I was afraid to post anything because what I wanted to say was that I was apparently the only one who didn't get this whole CH deal. But instead I am here to proclaim that it is true that some of the strips read better once you can read the whole story, instead of doled out in little bits from day to day.

This may be crazy but my favorite detail is the house number painted on the curbstone.  It may make it seem exotic because I have never lived somewhere where that is the tradition.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2005, 08:35:55 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"

This may be crazy but my favorite detail is the house number painted on the curbstone.  It may make it seem exotic because I have never lived somewhere where that is the tradition.


Where I live now it's an option - amusingly enough, there was a flyer in the mailbox telling me that for, like, $50 some guy would paint out house number on the curb next to our driveway. Ostensibly this is a safety feature, they would use some kind of paint that glowed in the dark, withstood dog urine, and would call 911 if it sensed that the house was on fire. Or something.

At any rate, I was not about to pay ANYONE fifty dollars to paint a pair of eights on the concrete next to my mailbox.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2005, 09:04:29 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

At any rate, I was not about to pay ANYONE fifty dollars to paint a pair of eights on the concrete next to my mailbox.


Wow, you sure have to admire the entrepreneureal spirit, though (even if you can't spell it either).
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2005, 09:16:23 pm »

I thought the hat was Roast Beef's.  He wore something quite similar to it (sans logo) when he hacked into Yahoo.

I further thought that the hat was left there as a taunt.

I've been wrong before.
Logged

Capn

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2005, 09:45:26 pm »

Quote
At any rate, I was not about to pay ANYONE fifty dollars to paint a pair of eights on the concrete next to my mailbox.


You should see if you can pay him $25 to paint one 8, then just hire a kid for $5 to copy it.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2005, 10:25:21 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
This may be crazy but my favorite detail is the house number painted on the curbstone.  It may make it seem exotic because I have never lived somewhere where that is the tradition.

In my old neighborhood the fire deparment would do it for free. It's so incredibly useful to them that they were willing to take the loss just to get the numbers out there.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2005, 10:50:16 pm »

Man, this ending with the moral lesson was even more like The Game.

So was Beef in on it from the get-go?

Phasma Felis

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2005, 04:21:49 am »

To me the Cadillac ballcap said "improbable combination of upper crust and trailer trash," which is Ray to a T.

Quote from: "cellardoor"
The thing i've just thought of...what if it had been Beef instead of Ray?
Oh man!

I think Beef would have fled in terror immediately after getting the invitation.

In fact, I suspect that he chickened out the day before, and that "Dude so like listen uh I got plans tomorrow" was a ruse to get the ticket off his hands.
Logged

Suckin_Dick

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2005, 05:57:14 pm »

has anyone else seen the websnark writeup of this particular storyline?  it is a pretty good little meditation on the sorts of things we've been talking about here.

http://www.websnark.com/archives/2005/09/why_they_got_to.html
Logged
suckin dick bought this van.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2005, 06:55:07 pm »

Quote from: "Suckin_Dick"
has anyone else seen the websnark writeup of this particular storyline?  it is a pretty good little meditation on the sorts of things we've been talking about here.

http://www.websnark.com/archives/2005/09/why_they_got_to.html


Man I hate that site.

Also, I think Beef would have been excited to eat dinner with CH. Seems like the kind of thing he would get enjoyment from.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

dryguy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 7
  • Fighting entropy since 1933.
    • View Profile
I got blisters on my fingers!
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2005, 08:50:36 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I assume that CH was in the house.


Maybe, but the hand on the flash bulb is a paw, whereas CH had very long spindly fingers.
Logged
Stamp out entropy.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2005, 08:35:22 pm »

Did anybody else ever wonder whether or not Roast Beef was in on it?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2005, 09:52:00 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Did anybody else ever wonder whether or not Roast Beef was in on it?


http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=44767#44767

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2005, 10:14:44 pm »

This storyline was the most wonderful way to return to the internet.  And infact, this is why I love Achewood.  It's like a warm mug of cocoa.  

And yes, put me down for one T-shirt please.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2005, 02:13:29 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Did anybody else ever wonder whether or not Roast Beef was in on it?


http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=44767#44767


Thank you, Jough.  I suppose now is a good time to come out with it.  During my hiatus, I sustained a horrible but humorous injury to my forbrain, so while I am capable of posting, I can no longer read anything anybody else says.  The reading parts are gone, but the ego has doubled to compensate.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up