Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.  (Read 9787 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 05:18:33 pm »

Does anybody else feel like this strip, coming off the CH bender, would have been better served catching up with Teodor, or Mr Bear, or someone?  This 'ray has a crazy idea/beef has a quiet but clever witty assessment' thing just feels even more tired after last week's stuff.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 05:29:40 pm »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Quote from: "misterqueue"
Blasphemy nothing!  I'm a Beakman man till the day I shuffle off this something or other...  WORD UP MY DROOGS!


I have Beakman's autograph. I saw him do a show LIVE at a children's science museum. It changed my life forever (I took an introductory science course once).

Beakman is the best by far. Bill Nye was just a ripoff.


Agreed, Beakman did it with substance AND style, and seeing him live would indeed be a treat.

Plus... you know.. he always had deliciously wondrous nubile cohorts, and no I'm not talking about the guy in the ratsuit. (I think the 2nd or 3rd girl was my favorite but I was pretty young then so I'm not sure.)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 05:42:28 pm »

Quote from: "Max"
Does anybody else feel like this strip, coming off the CH bender, would have been better served catching up with Teodor, or Mr Bear, or someone?  This 'ray has a crazy idea/beef has a quiet but clever witty assessment' thing just feels even more tired after last week's stuff.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I rather wish we saw any evidence that Ray was shaken up at all by the CH thing. Even a little.

I'm not sure if I dare say it, but: MORE LYLE
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 05:46:02 pm »

Quote from: "James"
Quote from: "miles"
So when Ray asked how it worked, and Beef started to explain how, I thought Ray was pissed because he was wondering about stuff like:  how to turn it on, how to install the drivers, how to connect it to the computer.  Stuff like that.  But he really wanted to know how it worked.  Why the fuck did he want to know that?

Just because? I have often wondered how a laser printer works, and now, thanks to Achewood, I know.


Who hasn't wondered?  I wasn't really asking for a reason.  It was a rhetorical question.  I just liked imagining the scenario before the strip picks it up:  Ray calling Beef and asking how it works, Beef telling Ray to figure it out, Ray looking at the cartridge and shit with a flashlight, and finally calling Beef back to ask him again.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

beanmom

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 06:40:05 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Max"
Does anybody else feel like this strip, coming off the CH bender, would have been better served catching up with Teodor, or Mr Bear, or someone?  This 'ray has a crazy idea/beef has a quiet but clever witty assessment' thing just feels even more tired after last week's stuff.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I rather wish we saw any evidence that Ray was shaken up at all by the CH thing. Even a little.


Yeah, I was kind of expecting/hoping that the Cartilage Head story line would end with or result in another little Ray breakdown a la the Korean restaurant from last year...
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 06:41:59 pm »

Bill Nye came to my company a few months ago to film footage for that 100 Greatest Inventions special and they eneded up using none of it. We have a bunch of radiologic artifacts like tubes that Roentgen actually used, some of his original images, and crap like that but the stupid Discovery channel decided to use reenactors instead. Bastards.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 09:40:08 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Also: not scandinavian hip-hop, but much much better:Bollywood Meets Beatles

Ok, Wow...

I don't know if it was the Indian Mariachi Beatles doing pogo moves, the strange alternate lyrics to I Want to Hold Your Hand, the Indian Elvis and Ann Margaret, the bootycentric camera angles, Indian Elvis's Frankenstein on American Bandstand dance moves, the psychedelic freak out rave up ending or the combination of all these things, but my mind is now blown. I need to sit in a quiet place for a little while

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 09:42:16 pm »

But before I go, how can you compare Bill Nye to that Beakmon guy.  Beakmon was all flash and no substance, Bill Nye brought the science.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 09:51:31 pm »

It's the other way around, dude.  Bill Nye was a stand-up comic who did a bit about one of those 5AM science guys that would come on before his fuck*ng cartoons in the morning.  He's what we in the business would call a "hack."

Beakman was the real fuck*ng deal.

And the chicks on the show were fuck*ng HOT.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 10:11:22 pm »

Quote from: "Inside Hollywood"
It's the other way around, dude. Bill Nye was a stand-up comic who did a bit about one of those 5AM science guys that would come on before his fuck*ng cartoons in the morning. He's what we in the business would call a "hack."

Beakman was the real fuck*ng deal.


I don't really know, I was past watching kiddie shows when those two came along.  I just wanted to post a contrary view.  And I wanted to be on Lily's side 'cos she's the coolest thing this boards ever seen.  So y'all can go back to writing about who had the best science for ritilin kids show.  I got my science TV from the real real deal Mr Wizard.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 10:26:21 pm »

But I recently saw Bill Nye on an adult Science show as the "expert" being interviewed - how can this be if he is not a scientist?  ...he was wearing a regular tie, not a bow tie, so I already felt the whole situation was dubious to begin with....  so maybe it was all a set-up.

Also, for my entire professional life I have been unable to dissassociate Bill Nye the Science Guy from world renouned Stage Make-up company Ben Nye Make-up.  I was singing "Ben Nye the Make up Guy!," when I was applying stage-make up to an actor during a recent production, and no one in the cast of 18, ages 12-24 knew who Bill Nye was, so they all just thought I was crazy.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 10:28:29 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

I don't really know, I was past watching kiddie shows when those two came along.  I just wanted to post a contrary view.  And I wanted to be on Lily's side 'cos she's the coolest thing this boards ever seen.  So y'all can go back to writing about who had the best science for ritilin kids show.  I got my science TV from the real real deal Mr Wizard.

~Paul


booo-ya, mr. paul is here to represent.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2005, 10:28:49 pm »

I would like to add that the Rat turned around real fast and hit me in the face with his tail on accident. At the Beakman show.

Also, Beakman has a big advantage over Mr. Wizard, in that he's alive.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2005, 10:30:45 pm »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"

Also, Beakman has a big advantage over Mr. Wizard, in that he's alive.


you,,,, bastard.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2005, 12:54:56 am »

Quote from: "jough"
It's the other way around, dude.  Bill Nye was a stand-up comic...


I remember him primarily as a cast member of Almost Live, a sketch comedy show from Seattle that I believe had a brief run on Comedy Central.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up