Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.  (Read 9822 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2005, 12:59:04 am »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I originally read this as "Jaime the science FIEND" and totally think it sounds better. Some wacky latino just FIENDING for Science, baby, FIENDING!


Also: not scandinavian hip-hop, but much much better:Bollywood Meets Beatles (choreography: Luigi Galvani)


This was fuck*ng incredible.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2005, 01:02:31 am »

I'm heartbroken that anyone could not love Bill Nye and kind of bewildered that he was once a stand up comic.  But he will always have a place in my heart because without videos of his TV show, I would never have survived teaching zoo summer camp, at least not with any vestiges of sanity.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2005, 01:17:50 am »

I'm ok with Bill Nye, but Beakmon was a much funnier, edgier show.  And his sidekicks were hot.  Also, Beakman's strip in the Sunday funnies is usually pretty good.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2005, 04:35:01 am »

As far as I know, Bill Nye does a lot of work for the NASA Channel these days. But most of the time I have trouble remembering that a NASA Channel even exists.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2005, 04:39:32 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "jough"
It's the other way around, dude.  Bill Nye was a stand-up comic...


I remember him primarily as a cast member of Almost Live, a sketch comedy show from Seattle that I believe had a brief run on Comedy Central.


Finally, someone else remembers that show! Remember how the headbangers in the "LAME LIST" were Soundgarden, before they got famous?
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2005, 04:40:11 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I originally read this as "Jaime the science FIEND" and totally think it sounds better. Some wacky latino just FIENDING for Science, baby, FIENDING!


Also: not scandinavian hip-hop, but much much better:Bollywood Meets Beatles (choreography: Luigi Galvani)


This was fuck*ng incredible.


Better than sex and half as coordinated.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2005, 08:12:10 am »

Quote from: "jough"
It's the other way around, dude.  Bill Nye was a stand-up comic who did a bit about one of those 5AM science guys that would come on before his fuck*ng cartoons in the morning.  He's what we in the business would call a "hack."

Beakman was the real fuck*ng deal.

And the chicks on the show were fuck*ng HOT.


Not entirely true.  Bill Nye was a mechanical engineer before he did TV comedy.  He worked for Boeing on the 747.

Beakman (actor Paul Zaloom) was based on a comic strip character created by Jok Church in 1991.  Jok himself seems to be the real deal.

So I guess when I say "not entirely true," I mean "almost entirely false."  Except for the hot chicks.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2005, 09:39:40 am »

I remember the Beakman show was kind of cool and I saw Bill Nye once on Jay Leno but your pitiful american science pales in the presence of the venerable australian Dr. Karl. Apart from blind patriotism I have to be behind anyone who can use the phrase 'peripherally involved with the carnival circuit' in a demonstration of scientific principles.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2005, 10:04:46 am »

Whenever Paul Zaloom came to Scitrek, he performed the same demonstrations as we did (long vinyl pressure baloons, Van de Graff) but just totally destroyed us all in terms of performance and relating the concepts. While he was in town he did this crazy 1-man play or something at an arthaus.

I would like to add that lovers meet for a moment...usually. I would like to reiterate this 3 or 4 more times than is nessesary.
Logged
I am older now.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2005, 10:31:00 am »

Oh my.. look at what I've started.

Also, after a quick peek at the archives I'm not sure if I'm relieved or frightened that Jough has my back.

Maybe relieved but in that Kraftwerk kinda way... you know.. with pee.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2005, 01:18:02 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "jough"
It's the other way around, dude.  Bill Nye was a stand-up comic...

I remember him primarily as a cast member of Almost Live, a sketch comedy show from Seattle that I believe had a brief run on Comedy Central.

Finally, someone else remembers that show! Remember how the headbangers in the "LAME LIST" were Soundgarden, before they got famous?

It was on Comedy Central for a while and even appeared on my NBC affiliate a few times. Usually opposite a football game or after Showtime at the Apollo or something. Mind Your Manners With Billy Kwan!

If Comedy Central dropped it's 19 Daily Show knock-offs and brought back Almost Live, Viva Variety, and The Vacant Lot I might never have to change the channel.
Logged

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2005, 04:43:44 pm »

I didn't really watch Beakman or Bill Nye, as I was too busy with the wonderful and frightening world of college at the time.

Mr. Wizard, though, I remember fairly well before kicking off to school. More than anything, I remember a magnificent obsession the show had with dry ice.

And that's really all I gots.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2005, 09:19:26 pm »

Quote from: "BatzRadio"
I didn't really watch Beakman or Bill Nye, as I was too busy with the wonderful and frightening world of college at the time.

Mr. Wizard, though, I remember fairly well before kicking off to school. More than anything, I remember a magnificent obsession the show had with dry ice.

And that's really all I gots.


It was thanks to Mr. Wizard that I discovered how cool liquid nitrogen was. Who knew it was possible to shatter something like a Gummy Bear or air with a hammer?
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
09/27/05 Straight-up saying science for the man on the go.
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2005, 05:25:50 am »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "jough"
It's the other way around, dude.  Bill Nye was a stand-up comic...


I remember him primarily as a cast member of Almost Live, a sketch comedy show from Seattle that I believe had a brief run on Comedy Central.


Finally, someone else remembers that show! Remember how the headbangers in the "LAME LIST" were Soundgarden, before they got famous?


LAAAAAME!

That show was kind of a big deal up in Seattle, so I think a lot of people around my age and older would know it.  I think Bill Nye was the only cast member that went on to really do something, although Pat Cashman was a popular radio personality in the area.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up