Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...  (Read 4224 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
« on: August 27, 2003, 06:40:27 am »

Okay, I'm curious. I'd like to see what all you people read.

Post the strips you read today (or "so far this week/month" or whatever for less-frequently-updated strips), any you usually do but didn't today, or whatever. Reasoning/excuses welcome and encouraged; feel free to discuss, though, although really heated discussions of anything should probably go to new threads.

To start things out:

Read today: Narbonic, Wigu, DS, and Achewood.

Usually read, but have fallen behind on: Goats, Bob the Angry Flower, Ozy & Millie, Owlie, a few others.

You?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 08:02:14 am »

Read today: Achewood, DS.

Usually read, way behind: WiGU (and I'm ashamed to have let this lapse, but then again, it's going to be lots of love when I catch up).

Have read on occasion, but let pile up: Goats, Sluggy Freelance, Elftor, Sexy Losers (slightly ashamed, as it's not really very good).

Print comics that I usually read online: Tom the Dancing Bug, Red Meat, Partially Clips.

Print comic that I read online and in print because it's that good: Maakies.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 02:41:22 pm »

Dailys (in order):

Achewood, of course

DS

Kevin and Kell

Sluggy Freelance

The Bleat (not a comic)

Weekly or less frequently (not necessarily webcomics):

The Onion (and the AV Club, viz. Savage Love, Red Meat and PGS

Things my Girlfriend and I have Argued About

Dribbleglass

The Urban Legend Reference Pages

Slow Wave

That's my web reading list.  Oh, and I also read Carolyn Hax's advice column and live chat in the Washington Post.  But you'll have to find that link on your own because, frankly, I'm lazy.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 03:52:37 pm »

I read relatively few. I think it's down to how bad my memory is; I can only remember to check a couple of places daily.
So Achewood is my daily one.
I check up on Drew Weing's Journal Strip and Pup over at serializer every few days.
I used to read Elftor fairly regularly but then it introduced me to Achewood.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 07:04:56 pm »

Yeah, the Journal Comic is on my "read ever so often and dive the archives" list. It's very archive-readable, which I like a lot.

Oh! And Cat and Girl is also excellent and weekly, although I haven't read Monday's strip yet.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 08:33:44 pm »

Achewood
Lileks.
Scary Go Round.

Then it gets weird:

National Review Online's Corner.
Hunter S Thompson's  column on ESPN page 2
The Onion
Dave Barry's Blog
MulletsGalore.

Most of these I look at every day although I got behind on Scary Go Round.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 11:09:38 pm »

Every Day Comic:
Achewood

Every Week Comics:
salon.com:
Lynda Barry
Tom the Dancing Bug
onion av club:
Red Meat
Pathetic Geek Stories

Occasionally:
BoaSaS
Logged
goose means greedy

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 02:49:59 am »

Daily:

Achewood
Diesel Sweeties
Exploding Dog (Even though it updates infrequently, I check every day, just hoping that Sam has posted some new goodness)
Sluggy Freelance
Urban Legend Reference Pages
Arts and Letters Daily

Weekly:
Serializer, for Achewood, Pup, Red Eye Black Eye and a few others
The Onion (including the AV club, and my weekly dose of Red Meat)
The Striaght Dope
Brunching Shuttlecocks, before they died

Less often:
WWWF Grudge Match


Then there are also the technical journals I read online almost every week, but I'll spare you.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 03:11:48 am »

ah!  I forgot explodingdog existed!

*rushes madly to explodingdog for huge fix of lo-fi comic goodness*
Logged
goose means greedy

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 07:05:47 am »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
. . . but I'll speare you.

Please don't.

Anyway, I thought this was just looking for strips, but I also read pretty much everything on ESPN's Page 2, especially Tuesday Morning Quarterback. Also, most of the columnists at CNNSI (now SI.com), the Onion, Straight Dope, Dan Savage, anything I can find online by David Sedaris, and sometimes FeroJ's whatever it is.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
reading list
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 01:43:48 pm »

Yesterday, I read in this order:

Penny Arcade
qwantz.com
PvP
Drew Weing (archives, he hasn’t had a new one in a while)
StripCreator (I’ve got some on there, under ‘satchel.’)
Mall Monkeys
Sinfest
Scary-go-round
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2003, 05:07:31 am »

today: usually a M-F thing with me:

achewood
www.americanelf.com
www.engrish.com

weekly:

www.slowwave.com
http://www.moderntales.com/series.php?name=fancyfroglin&view=current
www.theonion.com

wish they were still around:

www.plif.com (the parking lot is full - great archieve)
www.notasource.com/strip
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up