Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to find MS Office 98  (Read 2370 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Where to find MS Office 98
« on: October 01, 2005, 05:29:26 am »

Well, since I brazenly commited an illegal act against the estate of William Golding today, I thought I'd seek all of your out advice in regard to other illegal activities.

More specifically, where should I go to download MS Office 98 where it won't destroy my 'puter.  I have a very old system, and not enough memory to handle any newer versions and I'm scary-broke to the point where an upgrade is not an option.  What is a decent, legit site where I can do this, preferably for free?  I don't have the moxie to figure this out myself, and am scared of killing my system again, so please help if you can.  

Also, I am a complete idiot when it comes to technical stuff, so explain to me as Beef would to Ray if you can.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Where to find MS Office 98
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 05:43:16 am »

I would suggest looking for the actual CD's somewhere.  There are bound to be millions out there and they are worth virtually zero.  Find one with its original numbers, cadge it from its owner and bango you're set.

Also, computers are astoundingly cheap these days.  I got this one for about $300.  It's about 5 times more powerful (very very roughly speaking) than the last one we bought for about $1200 around 2 years earlier.  It's at least 20 times more powerful than the one I bought in '98 for about $3000.  You don't even want to hear about what I had before that.

I don't know what your financial situation is, and I can certainly appreciate the lack of funds for software or hardware upgrades.  Having not collected a paycheck since April, I can commiserate.  However, computers are cheap these days and I would bet that you could make a quantum leap for something like $200 if you found somebody who was buying the latest and greatest and wanted to get rid of yesterday's news.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Where to find MS Office 98
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 05:56:26 am »

98? Are you on a Mac?

OpenOffice.org is free, and has comparable system requirements to Office 97 on Windows, iirc. It's a slightly different interface, but compatible with even Office 2003 documents.

Plus, it's free and legal.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Where to find MS Office 98
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 07:36:08 pm »

Thanks for the info boys.

No I don't have a Mac, just a nearly 10 year old PC.

Aug- I've had a strong desire to buy a new computer for quite a while, but anything beyond the basic cost of living is not an option right now.  Without any whining, my financial situation can be summed up like this:  I take an hour long walk to work to save on bus fare.

I've had three different people promise to lend me their old disks but they have each repeatedly forgotten.

Choop - I have lots of work saved to disk in MS Word format - would these things be accessable & edit-able on OpenOffice?  Like I said, I'm a computer dummy...
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Where to find MS Office 98
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 07:49:37 pm »

Absolutely.  I use Open Office exclusively on my main computer and it opens every Word doc I've ever tried.  I would have suggested Open Office too, but I didn't know what the minimum requirements are.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Where to find MS Office 98
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 08:34:24 pm »

I've actually only ever heard of Office 98 as a Mac port of Office 97 for Windows.

Yes, OOo supports Office documents from 6.0 on, including Office XP.

August, I posted above a link to system requirements for OOo. Not too taxing, imho.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1]   Go Up