Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?  (Read 8499 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2005, 01:30:31 pm »

paul, and i do not mean this rudely, but that photo of that plate of food may in the future contribute to me giving up food altogether.

those shades of green, just not, i dunno, food-ish.  and the brown, gravy looking substance? um.
one time, i was in new york city busy not being on a train that was going to derail and a friend recommended i walk/ride to such-and-such an area because they had great indian food and i was all "i've never had indian food" and they were all "oh dude you gotta try it" (excpet they didn't use the word dude and stuff), so i rode to that are and starting wandering around.

so, i found the street, which in my addled memory is a bunch of brownstones, but keep in mind a brownstone to me is just some type of building and not a specific proper Noun, and i was thinking "dammit i'm lost there are no food serving places here i'm not going to knock on someone's door and say "oh i'm sorry i thought your house was an indian restaurant"".

so i start walking down the street and i realize it isn't houses, or not all houses, and i kinda poke my head in and this dude sets me at a table and is all "what do you want to eat" and i'm all "um, menu, maybe, please, um,"  at this point i was, i think, 18 or 19 and when i would get nervous i would get a pretty bad northern wisconsin accent which i'm told is "cute" but i'm pretty sure that is politese for "you sound like a retarded hick".

so, if there would be a universal descriptor for "small town boy wide eyed in the big city", it would have been me.  and the nice waiter obviously could tell that.

so he brought me a menu.

which i stared at, and finally, maybe just about to cry (perhaps i embellish a tad), i point at some stuff at random because while there are a bunch of words on the paper that i recognize, i had no fuck*ng clue what i was looking at.

so then i stupidly remember what my friend had warned me of earlier, do NOT get them wet and no feeding after, uh, wait, no it was "make sure you get the mild".

so, i said "uh, sir", and he stopped and pivoted and looked at me.  :uh, sir, can i get that as mild as possible?".

at which point he said "most assuredly" and walked off.

getting back to queens sucked.

and seeing, paul, your plate with the brown gravy stuff on it, well, my toes are itching and my ear drums are sweating.

i think i'm going to go have a lie-down now.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2005, 02:34:26 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I guess it's part of the blessing of having an insane metabolism, although I can't help but wonder at what age that's going to give out.


It's also kind of a bad idea to be vegetetarian when you've got one of those.  I have to eat all the time and I'm still slightly underweight.  I can only hope that one day it will stop and I'll have a big lentil-belly.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2005, 05:22:32 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"

It's also kind of a bad idea to be vegetetarian when you've got one of those.  I have to eat all the time and I'm still slightly underweight.  


Slightly underweight? Christ I eat quite healthily, but quite fattily, and I'm in like, the 2nd percentile for my height or something. I guess if I were vegetarian I'd just eat all day.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2005, 06:28:45 pm »

Quote from: "Doc"
I totally don't get the fake meat products. Meat substitutes of course, you need your amino acids and such like, but if I ever went vego I couldn't imagine why I'd want to eat a tofu-dog style product. Mainly because my experience with tofu based meat fakes indicates that they are both inferior to the flesh they are apeing and inferior to other ways to serve tofu...


We did a whole thread on meat/meat subsitutes back when we had fora named for the senses. Anyone know where it is?
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2005, 07:41:57 pm »

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2005, 12:05:43 pm »

Well I'm laughing from boneless tofu drumstick and Choop's sig next to the italicised Cortjstr'd made me think of *Thwack* type old timey comic book sound effects so this thread has put me in a very happy place right now. Many thanks to all.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2005, 02:33:25 am »

I've been a vegetarian for four or five years. It didn't make me lose weight, but when I tried to lose weight I believe it made the process easier. I like meat-substitutes just fine. I also like Indian buffet's just fine. Ragging on Paul's pic? For shame, for shame. I bet that plate has all kinds of vitamin A and spinachy goodness. Not to mention it's surely tasty.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2005, 03:17:45 am »

Thank you George.  I can attest to the fact that the plate of food pictured above was hella tasty.  I never liked spinich until I tried Saag Paaner.  Don't let the looks of it decieve you, it's delicious.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2005, 01:14:20 pm »

That's weird because I like spinach except in saag and creamed forms.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2005, 04:46:01 pm »

Also, curry helps fight Alzheimers. That's why India has the lowest rate of Alzheimers anywhere.

THE MORE YOU KNOW.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2005, 05:47:04 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Also, curry helps fight Alzheimers. That's why India has the lowest rate of Alzheimers anywhere.

THE MORE YOU KNOW.

Yes, my Mother has become a huge fan of curry because of this fact.  She made me take her to Indian town to get curry because she couldn't find it in her local store.  So now she makes Indian food.  Actually she makes a chicken and rice casserole with curry added, but hey...

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2005, 08:12:46 pm »

Make it fresh (assuming your spices are fresh) and it tastes and smells awesomely better, also, no preservatives or fake colors and junk - here is one way (theres a miliion ways to make curry)

Curry Powder

      2 ts tumeric, ground
      2 ts Coriander Seeds
      1 ts Black Peppercorns
     12    Cloves, whole
  1 1/2 ts Cumin Seeds
      1 ts Cardamom Seeds
      1 ts cinnamon, ground
      1 ts fennel Seeds
  1 1/2 ts fenugreek
    1/2 ts ginger, ground
    1/2 ts Cayenne Pepper Flakes
      1 ts Chili Powder, ground

Mash it all up in a mortar and pestle or grind in your coffee grinder (which will thereafter be your spice grinder and go buy a new coffee grinder). Some of the seeds (cumin, fennel) are even better if you toast them in a dry cast iron pan before grinding. Don't burn them or they will be bitter and foul.



Non-indian currys are really good too...try a thai curry. Yummy.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2005, 08:44:52 pm »

That sounds like a danged interesting curry, Dawg.

It also points out that there is no actual ingredient called "curry." Curry Powder is a British colonialism invention. Curry, however, is actually a style of dish, effectively rice and vegetables (sometimes meat) with sauce. Regionally throughout southern/southeastern Asia, the traditional curry varies in ingredients and flavor, revealing what's been available where for ages.

That said, I've yet to meet a curry I like. I don't know what specific spice or combination of spices it is, but to me, every curry I've tried tastes like dirt.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2005, 09:17:13 pm »

I love the Southeast Asian coconut milk curries passionately. I could eat those all day and die at sunset with a smile on my face.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Is becoming a vegetarian a good idea?
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2005, 10:29:58 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
That sounds like a danged interesting curry, Dawg.

It also points out that there is no actual ingredient called "curry." Curry Powder is a British colonialism invention. Curry, however, is actually a style of dish, effectively rice and vegetables (sometimes meat) with sauce. Regionally throughout southern/southeastern Asia, the traditional curry varies in ingredients and flavor, revealing what's been available where for ages.

That said, I've yet to meet a curry I like. I don't know what specific spice or combination of spices it is, but to me, every curry I've tried tastes like dirt.


Choop's post points out a truism about British culture in general: I forget who said it, but it's got to be fact: Britain's colonial era was really a quest for flavorful food.

Choop's post also points out a crippling handicap in relation to curry. I think a freshly made curry from high-quality ingredients is in order here - I think I posted a recipe for Duck in red curry from Laos sometime back (if not, I'll repost) - I challenge you to make that dish (and the flavored rice with it) and post back a verdict on it's dirtness. I'll also post a coconut curry recipe for you to try.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up