Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005  (Read 8587 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« on: October 05, 2005, 07:44:44 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10052005

Wow, that's a whole lot of nothin' frames there.

So which one of you are going to register the domain?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 08:55:57 am »

Why is Molly saying 'Beef! Wait!' and then she's not there for the rest of the strip, and for that matter how can she see there's no return address when she's standing looking down at the front?

Actually on rereading this one isn't so bad, I do like Molly's apparent fear of the letter with no return address.

Also thread should have been titled 'RAY!'
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

char *

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13
    • View Profile
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 10:53:38 am »

Quote from: "Doc"
how can she see there's no return address when she's standing looking down at the front?


Sometimes They print the return address on the front. Upper left corner.
Logged

southworth813

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 55
    • View Profile
    • http://www.uglyhill.com
Re: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 11:50:33 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Wow, that's a whole lot of nothin' frames there.


Yes, I agree. Every panel should be packed to the borders with text from now on. Come on, Onstad. Stop setting up pacing, establishing a mood, and making the payoff that much better for having waited for it! I demand a punchline in every panel, and a bare minimum of 75 panels in each strip!

Do it you wife-beating hack. Write and draw this comic the way I want you to draw it. Stop being a comic genius and listen to me.
Logged
You, Lynrd Skynrd hat. Me, little kitty...

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 12:17:46 pm »

Greeeeat.. now someone here is going out right now to start appologies4men.com I just know it.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 12:22:12 pm »

I think this is another case of a strip where the actual strip isn't that funny, but several of the concepts contained within are hilarious:
1) Ray being so totally chickenshit that he can't face-to-face apologize to his best childhood friend, who lives in his pool house, and instead sends this particular letter; and
2) The concept of apologies4men.com and a general "male-apology-over-the-Internet" industry. Bonus points for the concept of Ray using the worst (and likely cheapest) one.

So, yeah. I'm laughing, but for weird reasons.
Logged

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 01:03:51 pm »

I agree that it's all in the details.  Molly's refusal to pick up the envelope, coupled with her apparent terror that Beef is actually going to touch it.   Beef's expressions.   The utter cheapness of the message.  

And I like the "Hi" welcome mat, though I wonder why it's not in Beef's favorite font.  Unless Beef is still in Ray's guesthouse, which makes the mail all the stranger.

I liked it.  
________________

100 posts of utter blather!
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 01:54:15 pm »

Ray obviously found apologies4men.com after what he would consider an exhaustive Google search.  Apologies4men.com had "the highest qualaty [sic] service for the sensitive man on the go" in the search result description.  That's what Ray thinks of himself, so that's the one he went with.
Logged

Paisley

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 50
    • View Profile
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 02:09:51 pm »

Quote from: "Null"
I like the "Hi" welcome mat, though I wonder why it's not in Beef's favorite font.  


Because either a) Molly bought it for him (having gotten tired of tracking Ray's garden substrate du jour into the pool house),  or b) they're at her apartment.
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 02:20:12 pm »

Heh, El Gloppo. I know of a similar place, where all the spaniards flock.
I'm going to call it El Gloppo from now on.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 02:28:43 pm »

It seems like Ray delivered the letter.

Unless I'm wrong and mailmen knock on the door where you live. =p
Logged
ACHIEVE

V-Adore

  • Guest
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 03:21:58 pm »

Quote from: "*****_god"
It seems like Ray delivered the letter.

Unless I'm wrong and mailmen knock on the door where you live. =p

That just makes it better. He's willing to hand-deliver an Internet-generated apology letter but is not willing to actually stick around and say "dude, sorry about this whole stupid Jaime the Science Friend thing?" Classic.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 03:46:47 pm »

Hey, it has a stamp. If it's postmarked, it's been through the USPS; if not, apologies4men.com has an envelope printing template as well.

I'm sure Beef's been camping out at Molly's since Jaime came crashing to a halt.

Why do flip-flops annoy me? Why did I know that Molly is a flip-flop-wearer? Because Molly annoys me, and Onstad can read my thoughts?


where's the aluminum foil?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 04:04:40 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "*****_god"
It seems like Ray delivered the letter.

Unless I'm wrong and mailmen knock on the door where you live. =p

That just makes it better. He's willing to hand-deliver an Internet-generated apology letter but is not willing to actually stick around and say "dude, sorry about this whole stupid Jaime the Science Friend thing?" Classic.

Not wanting to be present for the actual apology is what makes it "4men." What with us having problems sharing and all.

My SO wears flip-flops to work. It boggles the very mind.
Logged

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 06:07:43 pm »

Ray must have delivered it.  Actually, he probably had it mailed to Beef's room, realised Beef was hiding at Molly's, took it out of the mailbox and hand delivered it.

He's probably hiding in nearby bushes even now.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up