Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Kill The Flashlight! 08/27/2003  (Read 6968 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
Kill The Flashlight! 08/27/2003
« on: August 27, 2003, 10:48:06 pm »

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:05:41 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
In the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 10:59:06 pm »

And the mere fact that he has a dumbwaiter!
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
In the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 11:25:55 pm »

Ah that's one fine installment!
What can I say...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
In the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 11:30:32 pm »

It's an especially good strip, considering that most of the panels are just black with some text over it.

Sweet.

I'm just wondering why Chris didn't tell the others that Ray was back in 1882 this week.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
In the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 12:19:04 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
And the mere fact that he has a dumbwaiter!


to me it's a very "achewood-y" thing to have a dumbwaiter involved - I don't know why - it just is.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
In the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 01:05:50 am »

I was right about something? Time to go to the track!
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

V-Adore

  • Guest
In the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 02:13:58 am »

This strip is actually a good example of the kind of thing I really like in Achewood strips -- it's artful without really containing a lot of art. Minimalist, but used very well.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
In the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 06:58:38 am »

This strip is one of the best I've read in a good long while.

"Kill the flashlight!" - "I just hung up 'cause I didn't know what to say"
I love that shit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

bluebird_of_unhappiness

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
In the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 01:54:26 pm »

Oh poor Roast Beef -- so panic-stricken.  Only Beef could stumble into such a situation.

Do phones work through the space-time continuum?
Logged
Who is fat?  Me (I am).

Schabe

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • View Profile
    • http://www.automatictaxistop.com/schabe
In the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 03:31:31 pm »

Seriously, I laughed out loud, which is something I try to avoid when I'm at work no matter how funny the strip is, but I just couldn't stop myself.
Logged
"Wish I was as cool as Calvin / This sort of thing wouldn't bother me" - TMJ

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
In the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 05:31:17 pm »

I got the impression that Beef was leaving a message on Ray's machine.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
massage
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 06:25:51 pm »

I figured he was leaving the message on Ray’s cell phone voicemail.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
In the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2003, 07:45:02 pm »

Does Ray actually ever use that dumbwaiter or is it just for show, like an MTV "Cribs" kind of prop?
Logged

bluebird_of_unhappiness

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
In the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2003, 08:00:00 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I got the impression that Beef was leaving a message on Ray's machine.


Yeah, I realized that afterwards.   :?
Logged
Who is fat?  Me (I am).

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
In the Dumbwaiter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2003, 08:40:23 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
I think the original idea behind the dumbwaiter was to allow direct delivery from the kitchen to the room(s) or hall(s) along its shaft.  This would require a kitchen staff one could call down to for an informal meal or snack.  The idea that Ray would be in a pad that is designed to be staffed by servants is outstanding in allowing me to ponder the abuse said staff might endure.


Did he not mention having someone who worked for him at one point? A maid or some such? Maybe I'm misremembering.
Also there's the possibility Ray just climbs into his dumbwaiter to go to the kitchen quickly.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up