Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Turkey Day!  (Read 9554 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2005, 03:59:35 pm »

No, but he did walk past my cubicle once.  He brought everyone in the office (200 + people) chicken fingers and fries and cake for lunch.  It was nice.

I did meet the President and First Lady of Portugal once, when I managed the art gallery.  I gave them a private tour of the gallery with the artist.  The First Lady was clearly annoyed by the number of pre-teen nude sculptures, and I tried to be as apologetic as possible.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 05:10:10 pm »

A restaurant around here has bison burgers on their menu so I tried one once. Too gamey for me. But then I once had to ask a "sportsman" what sport he plays so I'm clearly not into the whole wild animals thing.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 05:58:43 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
A restaurant around here has bison burgers on their menu so I tried one once.


Yeah, we have Ruby Tuesday's around here too.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 06:01:06 pm »

I used to get President's Choice branded stuff all the time - either in Chicago or Cleveland, or maybe both. It was either at Giant Eagle stores or Jewel/Osco.

In fact, I think I can get some products here too - it might be that all the grocery stores that fall under "Albertson's" (Including Jewel and Safeway) carry it or did.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 06:30:38 pm »

I went out to a vegetarian Thanksgiving potluck (entirely bisonless, I'm afraid)-- I brought roasted vegetables (zucchini, mushroom, potato, three colours of pepper, lots of garlic, with rosemary and thyme), which was most enjoyable, but the get-together was kind of annoying and I wasn't in a party-type mood, so I went home and watched a nice wholesome PT Anderson film with the boyfriend.

No elaborate meals, no dealing with families: a very pleasant Thanksgiving.  And I've got today off to write all the essays that are due this week.
Logged
goose means greedy

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 06:36:21 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
No elaborate meals, no dealing with families: a very pleasant Thanksgiving.  And I've got today off to write all the essays that are due this week.

We're glad you've decided to spend the day with us.

PS- The roasted veggies sounds super tasty.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 07:22:35 pm »

I recall buying President's Choice products at Fred Meyer when we lived in Alaska. They usually were top-shelf, even compared to "real" brands; I remember their cookies being incandescently fantastic.

(If there's one thing I miss Alaska for, it's Freddie's. Well, also the incredible natural beauty. But Freddie's was awesome.)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 07:48:50 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
A restaurant around here has bison burgers on their menu so I tried one once.

Yeah, we have Ruby Tuesday's around here too.

I dunno, calling Ruby Tuesday a restaurant is kind of stretching things. Maybe I should've said "nice restaurant." I was referring to Clyde's, for those in the area.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 07:54:10 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"


In fact, I think I can get some products here too - it might be that all the grocery stores that fall under "Albertson's" (Including Jewel and Safeway) carry it or did.


Ah HA.  This explains why they have those cookies at the Safeway that look EXACTLY like the ones they had in the supermarket when I lived in Toronto.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 08:11:40 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I recall buying President's Choice products at Fred Meyer when we lived in Alaska. They usually were top-shelf, even compared to "real" brands; I remember their cookies being incandescently fantastic.

(If there's one thing I miss Alaska for, it's Freddie's. Well, also the incredible natural beauty. But Freddie's was awesome.)


Fred Meyer just closed down here in Utah (well, within the last two years...I think) but it's still alive and well in Seattle.  There is a new one really close to my parents, and it's even better than the one I went to growing up.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2005, 10:27:00 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I recall buying President's Choice products at Fred Meyer when we lived in Alaska. They usually were top-shelf, even compared to "real" brands; I remember their cookies being incandescently fantastic.

(If there's one thing I miss Alaska for, it's Freddie's. Well, also the incredible natural beauty. But Freddie's was awesome.)


Fred Meyer just closed down here in Utah (well, within the last two years...I think) but it's still alive and well in Seattle.  There is a new one really close to my parents, and it's even better than the one I went to growing up.


As a former Fred Meyer employee (hey, I had to pay the bills somehow when I was in college), I can't say I miss them all that much.  Plus, they went to hell when Kroger bought them anyway.  Stupid Kroger.  If they weren’t better than Wal-Mart, I’d never shop there.  (Not a lot of grocery options in this backwater hick 'burg).
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2005, 03:51:37 am »

Well this is the 27th. post in this thread, I thought someone should get around to mentioning the giving of the thanks it being Thanksgiving and all.  I'm sure we all have a lot to be thankful for.  I know I do.  Me, i'm thankful that i'm alive and well and healthy and happy.  I'm gainfully employed, I have a nice place to call home.  I have friends and family who love me.  I don't have a lot of money, but I never lack for any of life's necessities.  I have reliable transportation.  I have been shown kindness and favors by friends, family and strangers alike, many of which can never be fully repaid.  In turn I've tried to show kindness and do favors for others in need as has been done for me time and time again.  I have been hurt, lied to, stolen from, cheated on, betrayed, and wronged in many ways, but never in a way that has ever left a lasting scar either physically or mentally.   In my life there have been disapointments and defeats, but there have been accomplishments and goals attained as well.  In the end I know it doesn't matter and i'm satisfied with who I am and where my life is headed.  For all of these things and many more i'm thankful.

Thank You
~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 06:57:10 pm »

I'm thankful the Italian-Americans have an excuse to have a parade and that Columbus crew may have been the primary importers of Syphilis to europe. Good going, guys.

I'll ponder my thanks more deeply when Thanksgiving comes.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 07:27:37 pm »

Paul's sentiments are touching and surely appropriately Canadian, because a United Statesian would undoubtedly whine more.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005, 07:40:10 pm »

I roasted a turkey on Sunday.

Not for anyone's Thanksgiving, but because turkey is good and it was on sale.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up