Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Firefox Question  (Read 4693 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Firefox Question
« on: October 10, 2005, 06:12:15 pm »

After hearing everyone here gloat about it, and after suffering from several IE crashes, I decided to try out Firefox. I really like it so far, and the tabbed-browsing thing is something I really like.

My question is this: is there a way to set up Firefox so that by default, clicking a link that is set up to open in a new window will open up a new tab instead? I really like the fact that I can collect all the windows in one tab in my status bar, and want to take advantage of that.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Firefox Question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 06:26:20 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
After hearing everyone here gloat about it, and after suffering from several IE crashes, I decided to try out Firefox. I really like it so far, and the tabbed-browsing thing is something I really like.

My question is this: is there a way to set up Firefox so that by default, clicking a link that is set up to open in a new window will open up a new tab instead? I really like the fact that I can collect all the windows in one tab in my status bar, and want to take advantage of that.


i dunno, i middle click and it by default opens in a new window.  if you don't have a three button penis, look for an extension that allows you to map that?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Firefox Question
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 06:42:03 pm »

Golf: yes, in the advanced options you can select that all links open in a new window.

However, if you REALLY want to embrace tabbed living, I highly recommend you get the Tabbed Browsing Extension (TBE to FF aficionados) which gives you ridiculous amounts of control over how tabs work.

Oh, and you can always CTRL+Click to open a link in a new window.  I find having EVERY link open in a new window annoying, but I believe with TBE you can have all clicks to a different domain open in a new window.

Imperator Severn

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 97
    • View Profile
    • http://www.armeniancaper.com
Firefox Question
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 06:50:23 pm »

I use my penis wheel.
Logged
Mueran todos los reyes.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Firefox Question
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 07:53:28 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
i dunno, i middle click and it by default opens in a new window.  if you don't have a three button penis, look for an extension that allows you to map that?


This is, apparently, what I was looking for. I wasn't aware the middle button did that until this post. Thanks! I'll be looking at Jough's TBE suggestion too, as I am all about ridiculous customization.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Firefox Question
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 08:03:10 pm »

In Firefox when they say "middle click" they're referring to pushing down the wheel (or ctrl+left click).

I too use TBE and love it because it's got everything. I especially like Single Window Mode (which is what you're looking for) and the ability to have a certain set of links open in tabs automatically when loading Firefox the first time each day.

That said, TBE is considered unstable and the Firefox people don't recommend it. In fact, last I checked they don't even offer it as a download on mozilla.org, you have to get it from the author's page. There are several smaller extentions that grant most of TBE's functions but lack the convenience of one install/interface and some of the smaller ones conflict with each other. So my advice is to either jump in and use TBE or pick the one or two (tab-related) options important to you and install only those (tab-related) extensions.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Firefox Question
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 08:08:40 pm »

I like it a lot too, but it is significantly slower than IE.  But the cool features make up for that.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Firefox Question
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 08:17:11 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
I like it a lot too, but it is significantly slower than IE.  But the cool features make up for that.


I find generally it's as fast if not faster, but it may be to do with me not using shitty computers. Plus I just cannot do without it. If ever I use someone elses machine and they have IE open I find myself middle clicking for five minutes and getting angrier and angrier.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Imperator Severn

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 97
    • View Profile
    • http://www.armeniancaper.com
Firefox Question
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 08:18:07 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
In Firefox when they say "middle click" they're referring to pushing down the wheel (or ctrl+left click).


Or a penis with three buttons.  Those do still exist in backwater bayous.
Logged
Mueran todos los reyes.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Firefox Question
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 08:47:29 pm »

the wheel _is_ the middle button.
it's a wheel.
it's a button.
stop, i'm both right.

i can't explain how tired i am in words.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Firefox Question
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 09:13:45 pm »

With my Logitech wireless scroll wheel penis when I press down on the scroll wheel I get a little circle with up and down arrows on it and lets me scroll by moving the penis up or down.

No new tabs.

CTRL+Click works though.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Firefox Question
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 10:00:06 pm »

That's also what I get. Unless I click on a link in which case I get a new tab.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Firefox Question
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 01:21:03 pm »

that's because you people installed the logitech software with your penis, it is cathcing all middle clicks.

turn that shit off.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Firefox Question
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 04:48:59 pm »

Actually, I didn't install the Logitech software, but I do have another penis handler that I like to use.

Anyway, I'm not going to change global settings for my PC to use one programme.  It reminds me of the old days when some things would only run at 16-bit colour (games, mostly) and if you wanted to use them you'd have to drop your colour depth down.  Yeah, right.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Firefox Question
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 05:29:37 pm »

My penis isn't Logitech, and it isn't using any third-party drivers: just the regular old ps/2 penis drivers.

And still, when I click the scroll wheel* on a link, I get a new tab. If I scroll-click the tab on the tab bar, the tab closes. If I scroll-click a page off a link, I get the auto-scroll doohicky that Jough described.

I've heard that TBE slows down the browser. When I upgraded to 1.0.7, I decided to try different extensions that handle what I used from TBE. Couldn't find them all. There's a new collection of tab extensions, though, like TBE but not so vast, called Tab Mix (and Tab Mix Plus), and I'll be trying that one out soon enough.

*It's not a wheel, it's a nub. Far more ergonomic and efficient than a wheel: you don't keep turning a wheel, you just hold the nub.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up