Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: joycean.org!  (Read 7032 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
joycean.org!
« on: August 28, 2003, 12:35:28 am »

jough, I just went to your website for the first time, and I want you to know that I nearly perished of glee when I saw that you had a James Joyce site.  He is my favourite thing in all the world.  I just registered, and I am filled with supreme glee.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
joycean.org!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 02:52:51 am »

And here, my incredible pedestrian, not-Joyce-appreciating stream-of-semi-consciousness self read the title of the forum not once but THREE times as

"joy clean" dot com and I clicked just to see what the hell that was all about.

::slinking off into the abyss of average literature:::
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
joycean.org!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 03:08:42 am »

My late-night, staying-up-burning-cds coffee:  spat all over my #####, thanks to alohadawg.  

best.
comment.
ever,
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
joycean.org!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 08:14:24 am »

I used to have Joycean.COM before Verisign inexplicably sold the domain to a pornographer, who in turn sold it to someone else.

It's basically getting passed around like a whore.

But I have Joycean.org and JamesJoyce.tv for the site now.

And I haven't updated it in a year and a half.  Oops!


BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND WORDS.  

Go and read most of Joyce's collected works for free.  The typos are not mine, but rather those of graduate students scanning in pages from public-domain manuscripts.

And they are many (the typos).  But Joyce would've loved the typos.  And the internet.

And all of you.

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
joycean.org
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 12:14:58 am »

I spent plenty of time there today. Inspired my current sig as well.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

V-Adore

  • Guest
joycean.org!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2003, 01:07:41 am »

I may end up spending a lot of time at joycean.org in order to repair the gaping hole in my psyche caused by the knowledge that all of my Joycean knowledge is derived from the secondhand references present in "The Waste Land" and the rest of T.S. Eliot's work, and also, to a large extent, my inability to end a sentence (in the style of Faulkner (or possibly someone else, but mostly Faulkner) yet not Joyce).
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
joycean.org!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2003, 02:45:17 am »

V-Adore, the pure tangential nature of that post is a force with which to be reckoned.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
joycean.org!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2003, 03:43:17 am »

Recommend me how to get started with Joyce.  Should I just dive into Ulysses or is there some kiddie pool I could get acclimated in first?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
joycean.org!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2003, 03:46:35 am »

Eliot wrote a very favourable essay about Joyce's Ulysses, and Joyce returned the favour by writing a parody of the Waste Land in... something...

dang, I can't find it now...

But if you want to read some more Eliot, check out the www address of this very site.

-- Jough

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
kp
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2003, 08:07:29 pm »

August, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is the ‘prequel’ to Ulysses. It’s a great place to start, I’d read it first. I would read Dubliners before U. too, just to acquaint yourself with Joyce’s style before you tackle the more-experimental Ulysses.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
joycean.org!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2003, 09:08:53 pm »

I would recommend reading the books in order, as they get progressively experimental as you go (and each subsequent book, while not a sequel really, does make references to things that happened in the previous books).

Dubliners is a collection of short stories, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is a "coming of age" novel, and Ulysses is an encyclopedia. It's volumous and rewarding.

Then if you're brave you'll continue on to Finnegans Wake, but keep in mind that much of it is not written in English.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
joycean.org!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2003, 10:54:44 pm »

Yeah, listen to jough, I am reading James Joyce all backwards-like.... Ulysses, then Portrait, now FW, and I will probably never get to Dubliners since I am stuck in the hard middle part of fw.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
joycean.org!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2003, 11:09:26 pm »

I'm almost inspired to read James Joyce. Almost. My brain is stiff and old, though. Any further inspirations to put me over the edge would be helpful here.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
joycean.org!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2003, 12:12:29 am »

Uh... I used to drink Tullamore Dew over rocks at the James Joyce Pub in Tampa... does that count?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
joycean.org!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2003, 12:41:52 am »

I was hoping this was all about Joyce DeWitt.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up