Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kofi goes apeshit; starts bombing Smurf Village  (Read 1049 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Kofi goes apeshit; starts bombing Smurf Village
« on: October 13, 2005, 06:25:52 pm »

UNICEF has sponsored a 30-second ad meant to shock people into paying attention to the children orphaned by war by displaying the Smurfs getting bombed. Papa Smurf goes MIA, and everyone else dies except Baby Smurf, who cries, alone, at the end.

The CBC
MetaFilter

My SO hates the Smurfs, and enjoys this way too much. I won't watch the video myself. The WTF? moment, as already pointed out on MeFi, is that a UNICEF spokesman said that they went this route because they didn't want to trivialize the suffering of kids by putting them in the commercial but also because "traditional images of suffering in Third World war zones had lost their power to move television viewers."

MANGLED ORPHANS NO LONGER MOVE YOU... PERHAPS THIS CARTOON WILL MAKE YOU...SEE!

The sad thing is, they're right. Show me some kids missing arms on the news... eh. Whatever. Pass the biscuits. But DON'T SHOW ME THE SMURF VIDEO, BECAUSE THEN I'M GOING TO LOSE IT.

For the record, the family of the late creator of the Smurfs supports the project, and has given it their support.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Kofi goes apeshit; starts bombing Smurf Village
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 07:08:03 pm »

Sad, really. I wonder what the analogue in the US would be (since the Smurfs are still huge in Europe, at least in Belgium where they came from).

I can't get excited about the smurfs getting bombed either way. Contrary to my reactions to lots of other things, though, the starving kids on TV still get to me occasionally. Not enough to potentially get ripped off by a faux charity (my benevolence money goes to Church-sponsored relief) but still...
Logged

Imperator Severn

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 97
    • View Profile
    • http://www.armeniancaper.com
Kofi goes apeshit; starts bombing Smurf Village
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 01:30:06 am »

I don't believe in charity.  I do, however, believe that that video is pretty hilarious.


But then I hate the smurfs more than I hate my ingrown toenail that has turned black.
Logged
Mueran todos los reyes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up