No time for a lengthy post today, but I don't think it's any secret here that I've been technically unemployed for over three years now.
At first job hunting was difficult, demoralizing, and unsuccessful. So many people with way more experience in the field were being let go while I was trying to look for more work. I started doing odd jobs and worked on my own web sites, which at the time were not only not earning me money, but costing me increasing amounts of money to keep up every month. I'm not sure why I kept going with it, but I think throwing myself into building web sites was really more due to hell of depression than any desire to earn income.
However, after my sites got ridiculously popular and I couldn't afford to keep them running, I took down the one that cost the most and put up a notice that said I couldn't afford to run the site, and asked for donations to keep it up. I got enough donations that week to keep the site running for another six months.
Then I was approached by an advertising firm and the rest is history. But I'm still living far beneath my desired standard of living. My ends and means are still diverged.
But lately I've been making almost enough to live on, and so I'm sticking with it to try to make it work. Sure, I work more hours than I would with a regular job, but I also make money while I sleep, or if I take a day or two off. But I have illusions about my businesses ever sustaining themselves. It's a constant update and work thing.
Anyway, I'm not sure how marketable my experience is. I could probably get an editing job, or work for a web design firm, but at this point the market is so flooded with people who do my kind of work that I may be unemployable. I'm trying to learn new things, to find a niche, but employers just want to look at a resume and see that you have 5 years experience using whatever, doing whatever, and practical experience that comes from self-employment is seen as not "real" experience.
But I didn't go to law school. I studied English, Philosophy, and Creative Writing. These things don't necessarily make me employable (although neither does Math or Biology these days, it seems).
I can be a bohemian and not die because I don't have a wife or child to support. I don't know what the hell I'd do if I did. I'm in the Catch 22 of needing experience to get experience "on the job."
No employer seems to be impressed that I write and publish things that get seen by over a million eyeballs every month.