Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.  (Read 12464 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2005, 07:41:35 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Man, so I did this MRI study in which I did math problems in a tube while Scientists took pictures of my brain, on account of they paid me $80 for it, but then I asked them to email me some pictures of my brain, and they said they would.  And the idea of Christmas card fodder had not occurred to me, but IT HAS NOW, and no, I'm definitely not above photoshopping a jolly wee hat onto my exposed brainy-picture.

Thanks, Achewood!


I gave pictures of my colonoscopy as gift cards -- it wasn't christmas, but it was still festive enough and a good way to share my pain.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 07:56:36 pm »

I have some photos of the inside of my stomach I can use for that too. I could photoshop Santa's Workshop in there.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2005, 08:13:11 pm »

Here's me getting a root canal...  Should I be wearing a sweater with snowflakes and reindeers on it?


~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2005, 09:49:49 pm »

Paul, how do you afford the camera crew that follows you everywhere?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2005, 09:56:28 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Paul, how do you afford the camera crew that follows you everywhere?

I had to buy her lunch.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2005, 10:18:40 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Here's me getting a root canal...  Should I be wearing a sweater with snowflakes and reindeers on it?


~Paul


SIX PENCE AND A HUZZAH TO THE FIRST STRAPPING YOUNG GENT OR LASS WHO WILL PHOTOSHOP GENITALIA DESCENDING UPON THIS POOR SOUL'S OPEN MOUTH.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2005, 10:44:47 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
SIX PENCE AND A HUZZAH TO THE FIRST STRAPPING YOUNG GENT OR LASS WHO WILL PHOTOSHOP GENITALIA DESCENDING UPON THIS POOR SOUL'S OPEN MOUTH.

I have such pictures [unphotoshopped] of genetalia descending upon this happy souls mouth.  Or vice versa actually.  Although not the same brand of genetalia you are referring to i'm quite sure.  Don't worry people, i'm not going to post that.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2005, 10:55:28 pm »

Paul, you are some kind of photo-miracle.

Anyway, I unfortunately have no documentation of my one invasive surgery (adenoid removal), or I'd be making the best cards ever. "Merry Christmas from V and V'S ADENOIDS, IN A LITTLE JAR, FOR SAFEKEEPING"
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2005, 12:22:40 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Anyway, I unfortunately have no documentation of my one invasive surgery (adenoid removal), or I'd be making the best cards ever. "Merry Christmas from V and V'S ADENOIDS, IN A LITTLE JAR, FOR SAFEKEEPING"


God bless our adenoids, every one.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Imperator Severn

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 97
    • View Profile
    • http://www.armeniancaper.com
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2005, 02:44:58 am »

Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"


God bless our adenoids, every one.


That is one of the most cloying and idiotic plays ever written, but the worst part of all is how most every production does that line.  Logically, it should be

"God blesses everyone!"

A simple enough, if foolishly optimistic statement.  Everyone can be happy or something to that effect.

But instead we get

"God bless us, everyone!"

So we have a command, "God, bless us!" and an extraneous "everyone!"  Perhaps it means "Bless everyone, God!"  An act of hubris to be sure.  I'm not sure I like a god that puts up with that.  I mean, when Niobe opened her fat mouth, did Leto just sit back and take it?  Hell, no, she sent Apollo and Artemis to kill all the bitch's children.  Now, that's the sort of goddess I can rally behind.
Logged
Mueran todos los reyes.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2005, 03:43:26 am »

It's not a play - at least not originally.

It was from the character of Tiny Tim, in Charles Dickins's novel "A Christmas Carol."

fuck*ng philistines.  Well, at least you didn't say it was a one-man show starring Patrick Stewart, or a movie starring George C. Scott.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2005, 03:52:21 am »

Quote from: "jough"
A Christmas Carol...was a one-man show starring Patrick Stewart

No Shit?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2005, 05:08:35 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "jough"
A Christmas Carol...was a one-man show starring Patrick Stewart

No Shit?


Nice use of the ellipsis there, Paul.

Edit:  I'm a retard when it comes to puncuation.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2005, 05:11:25 am »

Quote from: "Imperator Severn"

So we have a command, "God, bless us!" and an extraneous "everyone!"  Perhaps it means "Bless everyone, God!"  An act of hubris to be sure.  I'm not sure I like a god that puts up with that.  I mean, when Niobe opened her fat mouth, did Leto just sit back and take it?  Hell, no, she sent Apollo and Artemis to kill all the bitch's children.  Now, that's the sort of goddess I can rally behind.


Leaving aside the "play" thing.. "God bless you/us/him" is and was a standard accepted shortening of "May God bless you/us/him". As for the "every one": part of the point of A Christmas Carol is that everyone deserves God's blessing. Even an asshole like Scrooge has good somewhere in there. "God bless us, every one" diagrams out equivalently to "May God bless every one of us": less naive than "God blesses everyone" (which would imply a lot less suffering in the world), and rather hopeful.

I still don't like A Christmas Carol, but that line's not the reason.
Logged

Imperator Severn

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 97
    • View Profile
    • http://www.armeniancaper.com
10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2005, 06:12:05 am »

I realize it was written by Dickens, but I thought he wrote it as a play.

Having seen numerous film/televison versions of it, and having found every last one of them to be saccharine and preachy, I never felt any desire to pick up a copy of it.

Now, Keith Laumer, that is literature.
Logged
Mueran todos los reyes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up