Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Fourth Anniversary  (Read 15037 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Fourth Anniversary
« on: October 15, 2005, 06:05:35 pm »

Achewood's fourth anniversary occurred at the beginning of this month, and although I'm sure everyone's aware of that, I don't think it got a formal mention on this board. I probably would have let it slip by, but I was reading through the archive this morning and I kind of suddenly realized that Onstad has been churning out a pretty great webcomic for four years now, which is a pretty awesome feat. It's had its share of lulls and lows, but I'd definitely consider it the best webcomic out there.

This was the first Achewood I read, as I'm pretty sure it was linked to by Jeffrey Rowland on that same day. It kind of blows my mind to think I've been reading this strip on a near-daily basis for over three years now. This is the one that got me reading through the archives again today. That's a good strip, the Sex Limo one. That's a really good strip.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 06:15:01 pm »

My first was this, linked by Goats. I didn't get it at the time. Much has changed since then.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 07:36:30 pm »

We've had this conversation before and I am always depressed by it because I have no idea what was the first strip I read.  I know I got to it by a link from Lileks, but unless I want to reread the entire archive of his blog, I'll never know what strip it was.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 08:05:37 pm »

I too discovered Achewood via Lileks.  So likely it was This one.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 10:17:56 pm »

I discovered it via Lileks, but it was during a re-run of the French Fry saga just when Volume 1 was starting to ship.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 12:26:52 am »

I have no idea which of those it might have been.  Perhaps it is that I can no longer imagine my life before Achewood and therefore the concept of 'first strip I read' is impossible to contemplate.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 01:25:45 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
I have no idea which of those it might have been.  Perhaps it is that I can no longer imagine my life before Achewood and therefore the concept of 'first strip I read' is impossible to contemplate.


What she said.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 03:05:14 am »

Discovered on the suggestion of a friend of mine.  This is the first read.  

And this is the one that got me hooked.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 12:36:17 pm »

I think my first was either this or this.  achewood was linked in a news post on elftor around then.  funny, I had to google for the url to that comic since I stopped reading it years ago.  it seems to not really be updated anyhow.

I can't remember which got me hooked.  I know it took me awhile (prob. a week or two really) till I read from the beginning.. hm.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »

I really have no idea how I came to see Achewood, to be honest with you. If I had realized the significance of what I was doing at the time, I'm sure I would have taken better notes.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 06:23:13 pm »

Quote from: "misterqueue"
And this is the one that got me hooked.

I'm pretty sure that's where a bunch of us got hooked.  It was #3 on the all time favorites list we did a couple of years ago.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 06:52:03 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "misterqueue"
And this is the one that got me hooked.

I'm pretty sure that's where a bunch of us got hooked.  It was #3 on the all time favorites list we did a couple of years ago.


Looks like I'm one of the commoners or we all have delicious taste.


Since then I have to say that this or this are probably my favorites of all time.  (Best series is obviously Road Trip or CH)

then there is the amendment strip.  "Pisses hell of ducats up the wall" makes me laugh every time.  Hrm...
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 07:04:14 pm »

I came via Lileks as well.  I don't remember which strip.  I remember what Lileks said, though: "So, have you bought your Achewood book yet?"

Been hooked ever since.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 08:07:43 pm »

Well, for post # 1000, let me tell you how I came to know Achewood.

My SO and I, in the time just before we began dating, but just after the more obvious flirting began, were working in a giant call centre about the size of four football fields.  At this call centre, Convergys, for those who want to know,  we both worked for the "Save Team."  When American AT & T WorldNet (a dial up internet provider) customers called in to the automated system, if they either: a) got tired of the impossible and annoying automated system and started mashing random keys on their phone, or b) pushed the button that offered them the option to cancel their account, they would then be put through to us way up in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.  Fun Fact:  If a customer asked where we were located, we were trained to say: "North of Minneapolis," and then be vague if further questions were asked.  Anyway it was our job to convince anyone transferred to us to not cancel their account, and we had to try at least twice within the call to convince them, with offers of technical support, three free months of service, etc.  So my SO,  myself and a couple dozen other people did this, and working for an ISP, and sitting infront of a computer for hours on end, each of us basically surfed the net for 8 hrs a day five days a week.  As we got more and more bored of our jobs, and more an more board of playing Bejeweled and IM'ing friends a hundred desks away, we started to look for more useful entertainments.  Somehow I stumbled across  http://www.fadetoblack.com, which was a fun site back in the day, but is now not updated very often at all.  The Celebrity Death Pool was always fun, and so was it's Cartoon of the Day, linked to the now defunct http://plif.andkon.com/.  My not-yet-SO discovered me giggling inbetween calls one day at the totally not-appropriate-for-work PLIF Oct 22/99 Cabage Patch Kid Holocaust strip, from their archive and he realized exactly where I was coming from, and that he had to find something equally good to impress me.  He was searching out web comics over the next few days, and that's when he showed me the link to Achewood and the Dumbrella board.  I started with the very first strip, and started posting on the board at the same time.

We got transferred together at the end of Novemeber to a different department - AT & T Broadband, which had gone bankrupt and disconnected service to around a hundred thousand custmers, and we had to take constant angry calls all day from customers who had been disconnected, without a break for days on end.   We went on our official first date in the first week of Decemember 2001, and it was good as gold from then on.  

We're both perminantly out of call centre hell now, but both call centres and Achewood were at the centre of our relationship at one point.  I have fond memories of he and I skanking down the winter streets on our first date, dancing around about "these knifes" in the slushy snow.  It's an easy way to remember the anniversary of our first date.  The coffee shop we went to on that date is closed down now, I moved out of the apartment we walked to that day a year later to live with him, we moved out of the neighbourhood of the restaurant we ate that night this year to our new house... basically the only three things still in my life from four years ago are him, my cat, and Achewood.  Huh.

Four years of Achewood, and 1000 posts.

I'm getting way to mushy here.

Fuck you all, motherfuckers.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Fourth Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 09:38:36 pm »

Ummm....Jesus. I've actually lost a whole lot of the last few years, so I don't remember. It was maybe December or something...wait, I can just look this shit up, right?
*minutes later*
Hahaha, I was a lot wittier back then. Examples follow:

V-Adore wrote:
I'm sort of glad we aren't seeing the denouement of the "ding-dong all hanging out" arc. That must have been unpleasant.

Ooooh, "denouement." SOMEONE probably ACTUALLY GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL.

Except that's just from 2004, and I'm sure that I posted before that...I remember it was the day that Beef got a swole up bozack, hence my name. Jesus, man. Who knows. Anyway, yeah, like two years ago. Good times. I like how you could probably read my posts and track my descent into alcohol, pot and loose women.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up